Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It is interesting to look at the factory Barnes Vor-tx TTSX ballistic data and compare 130, 150 and 168 gr results.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/vor-tx-rifle/

It wouldn't cut and paste very well. The 130's lag by 200ftlbs at 500yds and the 150 and 168 are virtually equal.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't found much difference in "killing power" between various "premium" bullets in the 150-180 grain range in the.308 (or .30-06) on several safaris, including a couple of big cull shoots. From what I recall right now, the bullets have included the 150 Nosler E-Tip and AccuBond; 165 TSX, AccuBond and Partition; and 180 Hornady Interlock and Nosler Partition. There were probably others, but right now I'm too tired and lazy to look them up in my records, but they include a LOT of animals.

When put in the right place they all penetrated sufficiently to kill well on plains game including gemsbok, black and blue wildebeest, kudu, zebra, all in the 500-800 pound range.

That would also include the same general range of bullet weights and animals shot with the .270 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, 7x57 Mauser, .280 Remington, etc.If you shoot 'em in the right place, they pretty much fall over within 50 yards or less. If you don't, they wont.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I haven't found much difference in "killing power" between various "premium" bullets in the 150-180 grain range in the.308 (or .30-06) on several safaris, including a couple of big cull shoots. From what I recall right now, the bullets have included the 150 Nosler E-Tip and AccuBond; 165 TSX, AccuBond and Partition; and 180 Hornady Interlock and Nosler Partition. There were probably others, but right now I'm too tired and lazy to look them up in my records, but they include a LOT of animals.

When put in the right place they all penetrated sufficiently to kill well on plains game including gemsbok, black and blue wildebeest, kudu, zebra, all in the 500-800 pound range.

That would also include the same general range of bullet weights and animals shot with the .270 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, 7x57 Mauser, .280 Remington, etc.If you shoot 'em in the right place, they pretty much fall over within 50 yards or less. If you don't, they wont.

Where's the hair-splitting loonyism in that, John??

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I have always obsessed over the loads I use on plains game. Then, my PH buddy asked me to go out with him to fill a large order of meat he had received. I was to do the shooting with his 30/06 which was suppressed. We shot every female and youngster that we saw. Everything just fell over and I think just as quickly than anything I had ever used. Anyhow, he kept stuffing that rifle with a variety of different factory loads none of which were premium. Everything dropped at least as well as the premium bullets I used in my 270. Hard to admit but maybe a tad faster, maybe.

I left him with a large supply of 270 Fed Blue Box with 130’s and they worked really well also. I believe they are loaded with Speer Hot Cores.

Hard to admit but sometimes I think my load development is a waste of time.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RinB

I have always obsessed over the loads I use on plains game. Then, my PH buddy asked me to go out with him to fill a large order of meat he had received. I was to do the shooting with his 30/06 which was suppressed. We shot every female and youngster that we saw. Everything just fell over and I think just as quickly than anything I had ever used. Anyhow, he kept stuffing that rifle with a variety of different factory loads none of which were premium. Everything dropped at least as well as the premium bullets I used in my 270. Hard to admit but maybe a tad faster, maybe.

I left him with a large supply of 270 Fed Blue Box with 130’s and they worked really well also. I believe they are loaded with Speer Hot Cores.

Hard to admit but sometimes I think my load development is a waste of time.

I'm not surprised. Some of us rifle looney types forget that gazillions of animals fall to plain old soft points, year after year...

Guy

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

Like you, have hunted with quite a few PHs--many of whom have also been cull hunters. Two I hunted with on a really big cull in 2007 had different choices in cull rifles. One liked the .308 Winchester with 180-grain Sierra GameKings, and the other the .270 Winchester with 130-grain Hornady Interlocks. Part of the deal, of course, is both could buy their bullet of choice at "affordable" prices--about the same price as Nosler Partitions cost here. (During the same month-long trip I visited the sporting goods store owned by one of the other PHs, Rob Klemp, in Kimberley. It was kind of astonishing to see all the green (Sierra) boxes on the bullet shelves, but a lot of cullers like them--and as you know, not all cullers use head-shots exclusively.

Then there's my now-retired PH friend Kevin Thomas, who was born and grew up in what was then Rhodesia and is now Zimbabwe. I hunted with him more than any other PH, and he culled hundreds of Cape buffalo on a big Rhodesian ranch with a .30-06 using 180-grain Partitions. This during the daytime, on herds pushed by him by ranch workers. Kevin says he never had any problems, even on mature bulls.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Then there's my now-retired PH friend Kevin Thomas, who was born and grew up in what was then Rhodesia and is now Zimbabwe. I hunted with him more than any other PH, and he culled hundreds of Cape buffalo on a big Rhodesian ranch with a .30-06 using 180-grain Partitions. This during the daytime, on herds pushed by him by ranch workers. Kevin says he never had any problems, even on mature bulls.

I'd LOVE to hear the back story on that.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My personal experience is that a 308 with cup and core bullets in the 150 or 165/8 variety will do the job just fine on anything you hit well.

Premium bullets in a 308 is one of the most overthought subjects on the interwebs, IMHO.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
The trip has been punched back to 7/2022. I am torn between the 168 tsx and the 165 Nosler partition. Both Bullets are shooting well with 44.0 grains rl-15. A slight nod in accuracy to the partition.

If they both shoot well then take them both and do some testing. Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.