-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been getting advertisements on these for repair/replacement to appliances, AC, furnace, hot water heater, etc. Anyone here have experience with one, worth having?

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We bought a nice brick ranch style that we were going to use for a rental. It had a one year warranty. So the vent hood over the stove went out.
It was PITA dealing with those guys. Hard to get them to show up and when they did, they installed the cheapo vent hood. I don't like cheap stuff.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I never had good luck with them, they REALLY do not want to replace anything. Had a warranty on a house we bought and the stove was not right. 3 repair men later one fixed the stove at $50 per visit to me.. The other two said replace it. Friends say it is a good deal, new AC, new water heater, etc. Personally I am skeptical. Kinda like an extended warranty on a vehicle, expensive, but if you need it, it could pay off.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Make sure they kiss you first.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're in it to make money, which comes from you. They typically cover the period in an appliance's life when it's LEAST apt to break. The manufacturers warranty covers defective stuff when it's new. After that, it will usually run fine until just after the home protection warranty runs out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it is like an extended warranty on a vehicle I wish you luck on collecting anything. I wouldn't pay for a warranty on an appliance or plumbing or air conditioning without doing some major investigating of the exclusions and the process of collecting a claim. If I ever heard anything but complaints about extended warranties on vehicles I don't remember it. They won't pay and your contract says you can't sue them locally.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've used both AHS and HSC. AHS was OK, we used them for three repairs and they did do the work. HSC was a total joke. We moved to our current house when we retired and HSC was part of the deal for one year. Two months in and the heater broke. They refused to fix it. They said it was a preexisting condition. I told them that was why we got their service...as protection. They refused so we terminated the service and got our money back. I also filed a complaint with the TN attorney generals office and they said their contract allowed that. The lady I spoke to said HSC has multiple complaints against them. Just make sure you read every word in the contract before you sign anything to make sure they will really cover your house.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Every one I talked to who had a home warranty said they were crap. Company is very slow to respond and always try’s to find an excuse for not fixing anything. One guy I know had his ac go out in the summer. 7 days and a dozen calls later company said the exact issue wasn’t covered.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Explain how they make money if you save money having it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We had one included in our first house purchase back in 2001. The crappy fridge that came with the house died within 2 months of us moving in. A $50 service call to determine that the part needed was no longer available and we were reimbursed for a brand new unit.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, the amount you pay per month vice what it costs to repair/replace what ever is busted. They are not all the same. Long term paying most likely you will loose. Short term, IE bought a house with a warranty you did not pay for (came with the purchase) then you could make out. I had that scenario, and it did not work for me. Had a fireplace with a Heatalater, (fan on a wood stove built in) fan died. Warranty company did not consider it as a "heating" source"??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I personally don't buy them and instead just risk it. If it dies then I replace it with a good quality item.
Quality pays, insurance doesn't.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Had a older gentleman as a customer awhile back,when he was trying to sell his home the realitor was trying to get him to sign up for one.I looked into it with him and this one pro-rated the coverage.So if your furnace craps out and is 20 yrs old ,you get x amount of coverage,if it's 10 yrs old you got y amount of dollars.
Neither covered the cost of materials and labor.

Asmentioned,most extended warranties are bogus

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They bring KY Jelly and tell you to bend over!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Get sample contracts from a few companies and read the fine print carefully. I had a home warranty for a couple of years and it was a PITA to get any reimbursement. To get work done the easy way you have to use the repair people the home warranty company wants to send over, not the repair people of your choice. Not sure any of them are worth the aggravation.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those businesses exist to earn $$$, That should inform one as to who benefits the most.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.