Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a spot on my farm that was once a major Indian campsite. There is a large depression in the ground, with a rock outcropping, and 2 caves. A year round stream of water flows from the smaller one, and the larger one apparently served as a shelter. The fields on 3 sides of this area have always been in crops, and I've found many points over the years, and many more were found before I bought the farm.

I never bothered to keep the broken points and pieces that had been worked but never finished, but the pickings have gotten slim over the years. My neighbor rents this part of my farm, and usually has it in no-till corn, wheat, and soybeans, making arrowhead hunting impossible. Every 3 years or so, he'll put it in tobacco, as it was this year, and I can find some stuff then. He harvested the tobacco a few weeks ago, disced the ground down, and after a few rains, I went looking this morning.

Mostly junk compared to what I've found in the past, but a good way to pass the time.
[Linked Image]

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cool!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
On the farm here we have several places where at times you can find almost everything that the indians used.

Even found a few parts of a rifle and shotgun receiver.

We have 2 wallows on the south part and we thought it might have been their dumping ground.

West of us about 2.5 miles there was a playa lake that the buffalo have deepened and around it they used to find all kinds of stuff.

My Father in law has his front porch walled with old grinding rocks that he found when he broke out the farm.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nice! Love exploring the caves near caveman/Indian settlements.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We'll be over this afternoon

Dove huntin sucks

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by plainsman456
On the farm here we have several places where at times you can find almost everything that the indians used.

Even found a few parts of a rifle and shotgun receiver.

We have 2 wallows on the south part and we thought it might have been their dumping ground.

West of us about 2.5 miles there was a playa lake that the buffalo have deepened and around it they used to find all kinds of stuff.

My Father in law has his front porch walled with old grinding rocks that he found when he broke out the farm.

Old bison wallows are def potential places to find lithics

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That’s very neat, makes you wonder how they survived without Walmart??

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cool to have a place like that...
Those look like they were not finished or screwed up in some way...is that correct ?
Do you have any idea about the tribe or age...I'm thinking pre historic maybe

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Cool to have a place like that...
Those look like they were not finished or screwed up in some way...is that correct ?
Do you have any idea about the tribe or age...I'm thinking pre historic maybe

This part of Kentucky was used by several tribes, Cherokee, Chikasaw, Shawnee, and probably some others from what I've read. I'm sure this was a spot that was used for thousands of years. , although I'm no expert in that field.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
We'll be over this afternoon

Dove huntin sucks

Do y'all have a non-resident arrowhead hunting license for Kentucky?

LOL......I hear they're pretty pricey

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great stuff! That's a lot of items in one morning. The rounded pancake ones look like knives to me, used as they are, with a very sharp edge on one side of the curve. I found one like that in Wyoming with perfect ergonomic thumb and finger grip in my hand. It was flint and had been used so much that the chipped edge which started out razor sharp was dull, probably from skinning many buffalo.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There was a swamp on our farm the old timers told my grandfather that the Indians stoped at on there migration...sometime back about 1915 they hand dug tile and drained the swamp for farming....they found one of those grind stones. And it's in a yard in town now..I have tried to buy it but no luck yet...I did find one big point close to there it's about 2 1/2 inches long maybe a spear or knife type thing...

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd say that maybe half of these pieces were found in that field, or in close proximity.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I keep looking but still haven't found anything. Maybe one day.

How big are the caves James?

Last edited by 12344mag; 09/03/19.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The big serrations on some of your points are interesting. We occasionally find serrated points around here but mostly small stuff with tiny serrations.

I have noticed that stuff you and Slumlord and Renegade find is mostly the plain grey chert, some beautiful specimens but a rather plain material mostly. While we don’t find near the volume of artifacts you guys do we get lots of stuff out of really pretty Alibates flint, Texas Rootbeer flint, and occasionally a crystal point, though the crystal stuff is usually pretty crude.

That’s why the artifact thread is one of my favorites, interesting to look at the cross section of materials used around the country.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wow! Looks like some great finds!

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I keep looking but still haven't found anything. Maybe one day.

How big are the caves James?

I live in what is known as a karst region, meaning there are a lot of caves here. Mammoth Cave is about 1 1/2 hours east of me, and that is one of the most well known caves in the country.

I actually have several caves here on my place, and have been in the one where I find the arrowheads. It has gotten to dangerous to go back in very far, because the area floods during heavy rains, and the cave constantly changes back in it. My grandfather went all the way through it and came out of the ground in a sinkhole about 300 yards from the entrance. The other cave is just too tight of squeeze for me to want to try.

A lot of the caves here are what are know as "wet caves", meaning they either have water running in them, or else flood during heavy rains. They are dangerous to go in really, and I quit doing that kind of stuff 50 years ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good representation of many occupation periods.

That serrated stemmed Kirk guy sure gets around, I have 3 of those in 3 different counties.

He put an extra bit of pizzaz with bifur base stem tip on yours

Renegade had one as well.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I suspect that the Injuns, and the cavemen, were here in these parts for a very long time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mayan roots.

Now theyre back, to work the tobacco fields 😄

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.