Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I dont know much about these, but i just inherited it from my dad. I tried to do a serial # lookup on it and this one is odd. It seems every one i saw starts with BB0. This particular rifle was made before '81, as its a WRA gun. Serial #BB179XX. I believe my grandfather bought it new in 1979. Anyone else have one with the serial # starting with a 1 after BB?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The serial on mine is BB014XXX. I know nothing about its origin, though. Swapped into it several years ago. I do know that I LOVE the rifle! Fell for the first one I ever saw, but had to wait about 25 years to own one.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks riverrider. I know what you are talking about. I also remember shooting this rifle with my grandfather 30 years ago. Ive always loved the looks of this rifle. Even though they arent pre 64, they still have some good classic looks.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a couple of top eject 375BB’s with BB027XXX and BB029XXX serial numbers. One was in poor condition when I bought it and I had always thought a 375/356 would make a decent power upgrade so I had that rifle rechambered. It’s a big bore caliber that I feel Winchester should have produced. In a lightweight top eject model the recoil does sting !

I think the 375BB XTR rifles before they introduced the additional safeties, rebounding hammers etc were probably the best of the post 64 rifles Winchester produced. I really like the rifle and cartridge combination. It’s points and handles well. You have quite decent performance from a package about the same size and weight as a light 92 carbine in 44, but with more versatility. The fast twist, deep rifling and long throat make for an interesting combination in a lever gun.

It’s good to see brass now being offered by Starline, though it is easy to simply open up 30/30 brass. You can use 38/55 brass too, at least brass that’s 2.08” long. The longer 38/55 brass I’m not sure as that might be too long. In any event 38/55 has a lighter head design so i’d only use them for lower pressure loads. For those that don’t cast, the biggest issue is bullets for heavier game. If you cast you have plenty of options these days.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
All good info guys. I appreciate it. I finally got home, so I can post pics of the beauty. Here she is:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine has the same sling attachments. I had assumed the previous owner added them. Did they come this way?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i bought mine in May of 1980 for the outrageous sum of 189.00 new in the box.
the serial is BB0150xx
at the time i bought it my hourly wage was 4.75 ph so it was a BIG purchase. it was my one gun for years even surviving a break in where they cleaned out most everything we had of value.
today it has maybe 3 dings and one scratch from hunting the coastal range of Oregon for 10 years, then Alaska and California and here in Idaho. i use it every couple years for Bear.
when all my other guns are just memories the BB 94 XTR will be clutched in my cold dead hands.
i have around 500 rounds and cases for it and a mold so i will never be out of ammo in my lifetime.
it is the one rifle i won't take out of the gun case and hand to someone to handle.

think today is a good day to make it bark.

Last edited by deerstalker; 09/09/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Youper
Mine has the same sling attachments. I had assumed the previous owner added them. Did they come this way?

Youper, I wish my grandpa was still around so I could ask him. Based on the fact that it has a white plastic spacer on the rear sling stud, I'm assuming they are aftermarket. Just a hunch though. I'm thinking my grandpa put them on there. I like the way it looks and works though, I may have to get rid of the white plastic spacer....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet rifle! I used to have same in 356 and 375 Win.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had one in a .356. Liked it but I did trade it off. Brass is tough to find. .358 dies appeared to work. Great saddle rifle

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair of .375's

One's a 29,000 SN and one's a 4,000 SN. Also have a Bald Eagle in .375 as well as a pair of .307's, a .356, a .444 and a trio of Waters.

I don't believe the swivel studs were factory original on any of the XTR 94's. But I was almost wrong one other time...……...

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
BSA - that rifle looks like it’s in great condition.

It looks like your grandpa fitted a Redfield peep sight which I suspect was modified to fit around the rear bulge in the receiver - it’s quite a beefy sight. You have a nice rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JFE
BSA - that rifle looks like it’s in great condition.

It looks like your grandpa fitted a Redfield peep sight which I suspect was modified to fit around the rear bulge in the receiver - it’s quite a beefy sight. You have a nice rifle.

Thanks JFE. Yes, it is a redfield sight. My grandpa was very handy, so it is possible he modified the sight. It looks like it was made for this rifle. I just figured they made a redfield for this particular model 94? My grandpa was a machinist and welder, so anything was possible with him. ha ha...

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve got a 375 Win XTR... gorgeous and shoots well with Buffalo Bore

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Can someone tell me what Williams peep sight fits the Big Bore? the standard 94 does not because of the receiver bulge.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Both my 375 and 356 have identical studs and mag tube sling eyelets without the white spacers bought new like this. 307 and two 7-30's do not have studs
A Lyman 66A mounted to the 375 with no interference at all and I think the Williams 5D-94/36 would fit the same.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That Williams won't work I don't think.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Williams FP-94SE, if you can find one.
That's what is on my .356, it has a AE prefix serial number. Rear mount is top side by side mounting screws, not concentric with the bore.
Works like a charm.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Jorge: I do not care for Williams fool proof sights because the big blocky base impedes the view on the side of the receiver. My 356 Win has a simple receiver sight that straddles the top of the receiver. It requires drilling and tapping a hole on each side of the receiver but the Williams requires drilling an tapping the side of the receiver. The sight came from XS Sights and is a perfect ghost ring.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Comerade: 358 brass feeds through my 356 perfectly. Just do't use 358 factory loads because it is too much pressure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys, I remember I had a neat sight from a long-defunct company called "One Ragged Hole" . Ostensibly, it is a peep sight that is affixed to the barrel sights by removing the stock "V" rear sight (two screws) and sliding the peep into place. I had one on my 9422 and it works great.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Can someone tell me what Williams peep sight fits the Big Bore? the standard 94 does not because of the receiver bulge.

Williams still list a side mounted peep sight that fits the BB375:

https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-fp-94375/

You can also fit a peep sight that fits a “regular” 94, just use a file to contour the sight base to fit around the rear receiver bulge. I’ve done that to a Lyman peep.

As mentioned you can fit a XS peep sight, but the receiver will need to be D&T-ed to accept the sight. You’ll also need a higher front sight.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by WTM45
That's what is on my .356, it has a AE prefix serial number. Rear mount is top side by side mounting screws, not concentric with the bore.
Works like a charm.

That sight won’t fit a top eject BB375 without D&T-ing the top of the rear receiver bridge. They are designed to fit the scope mount holes in the rear receiver bridge of the AE models.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Had my gunsmith take a standard mod 94 peep sight and file clearance for receiver bulge, worked fine on my top eject 375 win..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This one should, Jorge. It's the FP (Fool Proof) type with click adjustments, which is nice. I was looking at my .375 to see if I can tell which sight it is, but there are no markings on it other than "Williams." I believe mine is of the 5D type (no click adjustments), and it appears that they don't make that one anymore. I'd choose the FP version anyway if I was looking for one..

I'm trying to figure out what "5D" means. Anyone know?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couldn't stand it, so I pulled my receiver sight off and disassembled it. It's the 5D type, the 94/36 model and it was ground to fit the Big Bore receiver. I would not have known. Explains why I couldn't find the 5D type for the Big Bore, though. Now I know.

I hadn't pulled that rifle from the safe in quite a while, but I'm glad I did. Damn, it's a sexy little thing!

Don't be the darkness.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
RR don't know that it is true but always heard it was 5D cause you could buy them for about 5$ (D) back in the day. smile

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have an XTR in 375 Win. Its serial number also begins with BBO. The rest are AEs (angle eject). I have AEs in 444 Marlin, 356 Win. , 307 Win. and 7-30 Waters. They are beautiful rifles. - T.S.

[Linked Image from i111.photobucket.com]

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JFE
Works like a charm.

That sight won’t fit a top eject BB375 without D&T-ing the top of the rear receiver bridge. They are designed to fit the scope mount holes in the rear receiver bridge of the AE models.

I stand corrected. I forgot his was a .375.

Thanks! I don't like posting incorrect info.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
i have some ammo for sale in te classifields
Larry in Reno

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by magman1
i have some ammo for sale in te classifields
Larry in Reno

Dang, I was just in Reno. I ended up buying a box of ammo locally for $25.00. That stuff is hard to find... I may have to check out your classified listing.. I'm thinking about taking the rifle hunting a little this year, in memory of my dad and my grandfather...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Williams made a specific model for the BB model 94s. I bought one through Midway about two years ago, but it may have been on close out. Look at Williams web site to see if they still make it.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I ended up buying a box of ammo locally for $25.00.

If you got a box of .375 Win ammo for $25, you need to go to confession...…...………...

grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I ended up buying a box of ammo locally for $25.00.

If you got a box of .375 Win ammo for $25, you need to go to confession...…...………...

grin

Ha ha. I bought 52 pieces of new brass for $15.00 last year. I just got my die set today and i am tumbling/polishing 60 pieces of once fired brass, as we speak. Now i need to find some bullets.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Guys, I remember I had a neat sight from a long-defunct company called "One Ragged Hole" . Ostensibly, it is a peep sight that is affixed to the barrel sights by removing the stock "V" rear sight (two screws) and sliding the peep into place. I had one on my 9422 and it works great.

Is this what you have? Kinda.

https://warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bobmn
Comerade: 358 brass feeds through my 356 perfectly. Just do't use 358 factory loads because it is too much pressure.

The Big Bore in .356 is rated for 50,000 CUP. Is that less than the .358?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

.358W is rated to 52,000 CUP

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

.358W is rated to 52,000 CUP

Got it. Thanks

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve handled one and wanted to buy it but couldn’t come to an agreement. It had receiver rash .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’ve handled one and wanted to buy it but couldn’t come to an agreement. It had receiver rash .

The rash is an inherent problem with the 94's of that era. Ya gotta watch you aren't paying top dollar for a rifle that isn't spotless. Especially if you're buying online.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Is this what you have? Kinda.

https://warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html

Yessir, and I bought another from them last week. I have them on my 375 and my 9422 and they work GREAT

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here is a picture of the Williams on my .375 Winchester.
The only real drawbacks to the Williams receiver sight is the requirement for two screw drivers to adjust windage of elevation and the lack of a push button to remove the stem.
Lyman is a superior sight run by an inferior company.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The peep/open sight has been around for awhile. This from H-T-T February 1911 cost $2.00. A fair amount of money

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Slim
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the responses guys. I just loaded up some ammo. When elk hunting is all done, I'll get a chance to go to the range and do some load testing. I started out with RL 7 and 200gr Sierra pro hunters. I bought 250 of those things, so I'm hoping I can find a good accurate load. This rifle was exceptionally accurate for my grandfather. I don't believe my dad shot it much. It's still in like new condition. Again, I appreciate the input. Regards...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BSA, my .375 is a Savage but I always had one hole groups with the factory 200 grain ammo. When it hit $90 a box I sold all I had and bought the Sierra 200 grain bullets to reload. I didn't expect much, figuring after shooting one hole groups it's all downhill from there. I was shocked and thrilled that the Sierras handloads I put together shot the same way as the old Winchester factory loads had. I clicked my heels together and off I went with a smile.

If my results are any indication of what you can expect I think you'll be glad you tried them.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
BSA, my .375 is a Savage but I always had one hole groups with the factory 200 grain ammo. When it hit $90 a box I sold all I had and bought the Sierra 200 grain bullets to reload. I didn't expect much, figuring after shooting one hole groups it's all downhill from there. I was shocked and thrilled that the Sierras handloads I put together shot the same way as the old Winchester factory loads had. I clicked my heels together and off I went with a smile.

If my results are any indication of what you can expect I think you'll be glad you tried them.

Thanks fireball. What powder did you use? Thanks.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My load is 36 grains of H4198. Please check your loading manuals all before duplicating that load, AND always work up to it from below, in case I transposed some numbers between the load room and the computer.

Also a fun side note on the 375-

I got some Hornady 36 caliber round balls (they're actually 375 btw) and loaded 7 grains of some long forgotten pistol powder and three round balls for grouse loads. Good to 20 yards.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roy , get some trailboss powder to use with those round ball's. Load from putt putt to smack em.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My load is 36 grains of H4198. Please check your loading manuals all before duplicating that load, AND always work up to it from below, in case I transposed some numbers between the load room and the computer.

Also a fun side note on the 375-

I got some Hornady 36 caliber round balls (they're actually 375 btw) and loaded 7 grains of some long forgotten pistol powder and three round balls for grouse loads. Good to 20 yards.

Cool, thanks buddy. 36 sounds about right to me. I loaded the 200 gr sierra's with 37 to 38.5 gr of RL7. I'll be trying those out in a couple weeks. Maybe sooner. Need to help my buddy find a cow elk tomorrow.... Hopefully he gets one..

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I like 1680 with 200 grain bullets. I have hit over 2300fps with good pressure and excellent accuracy in my XTR and at this speed the 200 Sierra hits hard and still stays together pretty well. Low sectional density means penetration is a bit low for anything bigger than caribou or big deer. RL 7 does the best with heavier bullets in my rifle. 255 grain Barnes bullets don't expand all that well past 125 yards or so. I think the cartridge really misses the Hornady 220's. Custom bullets from the USA not easy to get here in Canada. I'd love to see Hornady make a 220 grain flex-tip, that would really make the cartridge sing for caribou through moose.

Last edited by North61; 11/19/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remember a story told me by a friend that hunted Oregon coastal elk with his WInchester 375. If you've never been, it's thick, and also, thick. Someone jumped a big bull, he heard it coming and had gun up, it busts out into a shooting lane and they see each other at the same time. He fires and bull dodges at the same time. Miss. I can visualize the whole thing in my mind. The big 375 bullet plowing into the dirt right where the bull just stood.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Remember a story told me by a friend that hunted Oregon coastal elk with his WInchester 375. If you've never been, it's thick, and also, thick. Someone jumped a big bull, he heard it coming and had gun up, it busts out into a shooting lane and they see each other at the same time. He fires and bull dodges at the same time. Miss. I can visualize the whole thing in my mind. The big 375 bullet plowing into the dirt right where the bull just stood.

Well, that's not a good story...

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by North61
I like 1680 with 200 grain bullets. .

Just 1680 or did you mean with the 255gr bullets?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Sorry my best load with 200 grain bullets is with 1680 powder. 1680 hasn't worked as well with heavier bullets for me. Very good speed and also very accurate. The 200 grain Sierra would be a very good deer or caribou bullet but for big stuff the 255 Barnes grain bullet (With RL7) penetrates about 50% further. Unfortunately started at 1900fps the big Barnes won't expand that well at 150 yards or more. The two bullets shoot to such a wildly different point of aim that re-sighting is a challenge. That's why I wish we had a 220-230 grain FTX bullet that would both penetrate well and expand to 200 yards. The better ballistic coefficient of the FTX would cleave to speed so it could be made to expand well at long range. As is I have shifted to 270 grain hard cast for my 375 with a big bluff meplat. Penetrates great and the blunt nose gives fair (but somewhat marginal) destruction of tissue.

This is a rifle in search of a better all round bullet, and an opportunity for Hornady. A 225 FTX would be the bomb. The small company custom bullets are too hard to import into Canada.

Last edited by North61; 11/22/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider

This one should, Jorge. It's the FP (Fool Proof) type with click adjustments, which is nice. I was looking at my .375 to see if I can tell which sight it is, but there are no markings on it other than "Williams." I believe mine is of the 5D type (no click adjustments), and it appears that they don't make that one anymore. I'd choose the FP version anyway if I was looking for one..

I'm trying to figure out what "5D" means. Anyone know?

5D was for the original price of $5.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

The two bullets shoot to such a wildly different point of aim that re-sighting is a challenge. That's why I wish we had a 220-230 grain FTX bullet that would both penetrate well and expand to 200 yards. The better ballistic coefficient of the FTX would cleave to speed so it could be made to expand well at long range. As is I have shifted to 270 grain hard cast for my 375 with a big bluff meplat. Penetrates great and the blunt nose gives fair (but somewhat marginal) destruction of tissue.

This is a rifle in search of a better all round bullet, and an opportunity for Hornady. A 225 FTX would be the bomb. The small company custom bullets are too hard to import into Canada.

FYI, Vollmer bullets makes a 220 jacked flattop.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
F

The two bullets shoot to such a wildly different point of aim that re-sighting is a challenge. That's why I wish we had a 220-230 grain FTX bullet that would both penetrate well and expand to 200 yards. The better ballistic coefficient of the FTX would cleave to speed so it could be made to expand well at long range. As is I have shifted to 270 grain hard cast for my 375 with a big bluff meplat. Penetrates great and the blunt nose gives fair (but somewhat marginal) destruction of tissue.

FYI, Vollmer bullets makes a 220 jacked flattop.

Thanks but too hard to get outside of the USA.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, N. Like you, I had good luck with the R-7 with both bullets, but yes they POIs are different. I'm also using 275gr Hard Cast with 23gr of 5744 with good results.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.