Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
When comparing the Remington 870 to the Mossberg 500 and the 590A1 , out of those three which one is the more durable reliable shotgun ? And why?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
870 by a long mile. Because it is not a Mossberg.

Heavy use by military shows the 870 is significantly more reliable than Mossbergs. Simple fact beyond opinion.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Ok. Thanks

Last edited by DrDeath; 09/03/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To me it would depend on the model and year made. The 870 Express is not so good. The older Wingmaster is a Gold Standard for a pump gun. The Mossberg is built to a price, but the 500 is a very dependable shotgun. I have owned several of each. I would take a Mossberg over the Express, and a Wingmaster overall. YMMV.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory

Shheeessssshhhh...

Shaking my head...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
590 did not win anything over the 870 in military trials...The military simply ordered a bunch of Mossbergs...

Bubbas...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by kellory

Shheeessssshhhh...

Shaking my head...

I'd agree with you, but they popped up on youtube the same day as the question.

(Call it comic relief) wink

I own a mossberg 500 and like it just fine. Interchangeable barrels, (field and sabot) and I have never had an issue with it in more than 20 years. It is, in fact, my home defense shotgun, loaded buckshot, slug, shot, slug, shot.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
870: Specifically a Wingmaster. Simple reason being it is a better built shotgun.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Replace the plastic safety button on the Mossberg with a steel one and it will outlast anyone using it for defensive purposes (based on the inclusion of the 590A1 in the OP).

I much prefer the 870 but that is due to long familiarity with them. I've owned and used both models and really don't see much difference for general use. Now, if this is to be a dedicated trap or other clay gun, then it's the Remington for longevity but more importantly, various easy to find and relatively inexpensive accessories to better fit the gun to a specific purpose.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 870 express is the same gun as the wingmaster. The only difference is the finish is rougher on the express.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
The 870 express is the same gun as the wingmaster. The only difference is the finish is rougher on the express.

No, the trigger group is made of steel in the Wingmaster and the express has a bunch of plastic parts.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I wont own a Mossberg shotgun. I have had a few and am not a fan. I have had a model 500 that dropped all the shells out the bottom of the action when the slide was racked. I had a friend show up with a brand new model 500 and it did the same thing. Load it up, rack the slide and pick up all the rounds that fall out on the ground. I also have had an 835 Ultimag that would not eject the 3.5" shells. It was probably due to improper cleaning and a carbon ring, but it had not been shot much and seems it shouldn't have happened. There are a lot of satisfied Mossberg owners out there, but I am not one of them.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
590A1. The choice of the United States Military.

Marines chose Benelli.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

No, the trigger group is made of steel in the Wingmaster and the express has a bunch of plastic parts.
Wingmaster trigger group is not steel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Gave up on the notion of disabusing idiots of their fantasies a long time ago...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DrDeath
590A1. The choice of the United States Military.

Marines chose Benelli.

Hardly their choice...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Gave up on the notion of disabusing idiots of their fantasies a long time ago...
All you've got to do is look in the mirror if you want to see a real idiot. Anybody who knows anything about guns and steel/metal alloys can see the Wingmaster trigger guard unit is not steel and never was. It is and always has been an aluminum guard. If it were steel then it would be blued to match the receiver and it is not and never has been. Part of Remingtons effort to produce a cheap, easy to manufacture firearm. Try sticking a magnet to it genius. I knew you didn't know shyt about guns but this is rediculous. Look up the trigger guard units for 870 Express and Wingmaster and you'll find there are two choices offered , synthetic and aluminum. There also aren't alot of "other plastic parts' in an Express that I've noticed. The most critical difference to reliability between the two is probably the extractors which is {or at least it was for many years} a machined part in the Wingmaster and MIM'd in the Express but then I doubt you've the ability to tell the difference. Personally I don't like any of them so it makes no difference to me other than to point out what a know nothing poser you are.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you are open to a suggestion, I would take the Winchester SXP pump over both of those current two.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mossberg makes a decent gun but my choice is 870 wingmasters. My defense shotguns are 870 police magnums, and I do more hunting with 870 wingmasters than any other shotgun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (4xbear, 338reddog, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 15 invisible), 1,682 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.