Print Thread
Hop To
L
lvmiker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I plan on doing lots of Coyote hunting this winter and hope to get some good fur. What is your best practice in getting rid of fleas before skinning, or putting in a 4Runner and hearing your growler moan about a few fleas?

I will be on the road a lot and need to plan ahead for this as she hates it when I hang a flea sprayed critter in the motel shower.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
BP-B2

mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
When I was trapping I would always put them in a trash bag and spray with Raid. Of course I used a truck. If you are going to put them inside, be sure and seal the bag very tight. That stuff is a mild form of nerve gas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or you can powder the piss outta them with pyrmethrin(sp?) or zipcide dust....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mch
When I was trapping I would always put them in a trash bag and spray with Raid. Of course I used a truck. If you are going to put them inside, be sure and seal the bag very tight. That stuff is a mild form of nerve gas.

Same here.

L
lvmiker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by sgtsmmiii
Originally Posted by mch

Same here.

That is what I have been doing for years but I like to wash them down well before skinning. I guess I'll just unbag them in a self serve car wash and skin them on the ground. I was hoping for something new and improvedgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I always used Sevin dust (the garden powder used for aphids and other bugs), in a plastic lawn bag.

Andy3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
White vinegar or rubbing alcohol will work.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lvmike: I have used and recommend the large garden size plastic bag and your favorite flea and tick spray liberally applied outside the vehicle and then tied shut before placing in the bed of my VarmintMobile.
The fleas that don't die quickly will probably not be gettin out of that situation!
Could you tie said bag to the roof of your 4Runner for about two more stands/set-ups before placing the bag and contents inside your rig?
Best of luck to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

U
U
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Lvmike: I have used and recommend the large garden size plastic bag and your favorite flea and tick spray liberally applied outside the vehicle and then tied shut before placing in the bed of my VarmintMobile.
The fleas that don't die quickly will probably not be gettin out of that situation!
Could you tie said bag to the roof of your 4Runner for about two more stands/set-ups before placing the bag and contents inside your rig?
Best of luck to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I hunt from a Subaru at times and the above is what I do. Shoot them and put them in a bag with a liberal amount of Raid. Leave them outside the vehicle (on the roof) for the next stand or two. Then I'll pull them off the roof and skin them on a fence post. Place the pelt in another garbage bag with another shot of Raid (to be safe) and then into a cooler or box inside the car. No fleas, bugs or blood inside the car yet.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would get a truck!

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
might no work for your situation, "skin and hang out to freeze for a few days" worked for me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toss 'em up on the roof of the 4runner, and take the interstate home. After a few miles at 75 in freezing weather will have most of the fleas blown off by the time you get home. Less fleas=Less bites to deal with....

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Best use two bags or an extra thick 55gallon drum bag, powder/spray well, use zip ties on the bags.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why don't you skin them right there on the spot, then put the hides in plastic bags and transport them that way? Why wash them before skinning or wait to skin them once you're at a motel?

Once you have some pelts in a trash bag, spray with raid all you want. To avoid the use of raid I have used soapy water, and adding baking soda and even salt helps even more. It has worked just as well as raid for me, without the nasty fumes. It also washes the blood off the pelts and the salt/baking soda helps draw any moisture out once they're dry.

Either a roof rack or a trailer hitch cargo carrier would be useful for keeping them out of the 4 Runner.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Huntsman keeps his blow dryer handy to fluff them back up after washing. wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
531 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.