Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Ralphie

How does a season on many other species work to introduce fear of man? Most critters in Yellowstone show almost no fear of humans. I saw a guy at the grand canyon hugging an elk. Lots of urban deer have little fear of people.

Do they have as much trouble with grizzlies in places where they are hunted? With the very limited numbers of bears that would be harvested it might take quite a while. And it would probably also help if we had more ways to deal with problem bears.

Anyone that has hunted for any length of time has observed how animals seem to sense a person in what I call "predator mode." Not sure how animals know a person with a bow or gun is seeking their life, but they seem to know.

Again, individual bears spread out over thousands of square miles getting "educated" by a season defies reason. An individual bear may sense you intend to take its life, and when it's done, how does this education he just experienced prior to his death spread to other bears?

Again, how do hunting season's educate every other hunted species and other populations of grizzly bears?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

How does a season on many other species work to introduce fear of man? Most critters in Yellowstone show almost no fear of humans. I saw a guy at the grand canyon hugging an elk. Lots of urban deer have little fear of people.

Do they have as much trouble with grizzlies in places where they are hunted? With the very limited numbers of bears that would be harvested it might take quite a while. And it would probably also help if we had more ways to deal with problem bears.

Anyone that has hunted for any length of time has observed how animals seem to sense a person in what I call "predator mode." Not sure how animals know a person with a bow or gun is seeking their life, but they seem to know.

Again, individual bears spread out over thousands of square miles getting "educated" by a season defies reason. An individual bear may sense you intend to take its life, and when it's done, how does this education he just experienced prior to his death spread to other bears?

Again, how do hunting season's educate every other hunted species and other populations of grizzly bears?

You are talking maybe 5 bear hunters looking for 5 bears. The bulk of the grizzly population would never know they were being hunted. The few that get seen will get shot, all the while the bulk of the population had no idea anyone is looking for them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by callnum

You are talking maybe 5 bear hunters looking for 5 bears. The bulk of the grizzly population would never know they were being hunted. The few that get seen will get shot, all the while the bulk of the population had no idea anyone is looking for them.

You ever take a piss in the woods? You think you might leave some scent?

Oh never mind. No one here ever has a light bulb moment and suddenly gets it.

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Can the grizzly bear tell the difference between a hunter that is after him taking a piss or the thousands of guys that hunt elk in the exact same area taking a piss? Guys that have never been in grizzly country really have no clue.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

So in your scenario "prey" animals are the same as solo predators?

Animals acclimate to a magnified human presence no doubt... that doesn't relate to solo predators outside the park and away from the presence of daily human contact, nor can you transfer how a prey animal acts to the top predator on four legs.

While a single grizzly "might" be able to be educated by some means (likely being shot and wounded), the idea that all those individual bears spread out over 1000's of square miles will be educated is preposterous.

"Educating" grizzlies is a myth. They're going to do what they want. They aren't prey animals, and don't think or act as such.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just want them delisted and protections taken away. Would be neat to be able to get a tag, but I'd be happy if I could shoot one out of my chicken coop without going to prison.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No one has mentioned the best part of the link. There are 5 related topics to this article and all of them are the Butte obituaries.

Grizzlies shutdown a big hunting area a long time ago, for sensible people. It's called the Parts of the World Grizzly Bears Live At.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A season may not educate anything. But ongoing pressure will as moms educate their young over time. A number of seasons will educate bears provided their numbers support that--but that taking place appears extremely unlikely.

Government stepped in and put up a fence. Expect more of the same, a precedent is set. The expansion of the urban population mindset in Montana will only encourage it as a bad bear will become a celebrity.

During the recent wolf expansion in the UP, the greater numbers of wolves led to pack education, as boldness (like eating pet dogs on a chain in the yard) eventually ends up pissing off involved people who take matters into their own hands---regardless of what the newspaper editors in Detroit furiously wrote.

Grizzlies don't run in packs, Montana doesn't have a bridge and it sure is a lot harder to dig a hole on a big rock unnoticed.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Can the grizzly bear tell the difference between a hunter that is after him taking a piss or the thousands of guys that hunt elk in the exact same area taking a piss? Guys that have never been in grizzly country really have no clue.

Guys that support liberal causes really have no clue, as in zero, none.

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I support a grizzly season, is that a liberal cause? How many days have you spent in grizzly country? I don't mean the Portland zoo.

Oregon is as liberal as it gets, light blub.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Lennie: I have seen Grizzled Bears in that area several times in the past.
A few years ago I even witnessed a Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks crew "unloading" (dumping!) a Grizzly Bear from a trailered trap there in the Gravelly's!
Sadly that unloading (dumping!) of a Grizzly Bear was within sight of a large flock of domestic sheep being tended to by a Basque sheep herder as well as my travel companion and myself.

Big Game guide I know was so troubled by Grizzlies near there, last year, that he loaded up his camp and clients and left the area!
He told me he had seen at least 11 different Grizzly Bears in less than a week and some of them more than once!
It was just to dangerous for him and his dudes to camp/Hunt Elk/Deer there!
And that is saying something.
He also relayed to me that the Bears were "fearless"!
Not good, this.
I think a Hunting season, on the now "fearless" Grizzlies, would do some good and cut down on the Bear inflicted injuries/deaths of humans.
Beautiful country there that is closed now - sad.
I actually saw a Grizzly Bear chasing a small herd of Elk in that area several years ago.
Hoping no more humans are munched!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

So much for indigenous. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Callnumb
What state are you in?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Animals acclimate to a magnified human presence no doubt... that doesn't relate to solo predators outside the park and away from the presence of daily human contact, nor can you transfer how a prey animal acts to the top predator on four legs.

While a single grizzly "might" be able to be educated by some means (likely being shot and wounded), the idea that all those individual bears spread out over 1000's of square miles will be educated in preposterous.

"Educating" grizzlies is a myth. They're going to do what they want. They aren't prey animals, and don't think or act as such.

No in my scenario animals learn over time that humans are to be feared or not. A source of food or not. And it won't change overnight either. We didn't get into this situation overnight. But you pointed out exactly one way that it will happen. Admittedly slowly. How do grizzlies act towards people where they are hunted?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

While a single grizzly "might" be able to be educated by some means (likely being shot and wounded), the idea that all those individual bears spread out over 1000's of square miles will be educated in preposterous.

No in my scenario animals learn over time that humans are to be feared or not. A source of food or not. And it won't change overnight either. We didn't get into this situation overnight. But you pointed out exactly one way that it will happen. Admittedly slowly. How do grizzlies act towards people where they are hunted?

Good question. How do hunted bears behave compared tp park bears?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How do grizzlies act towards people where they are hunted?

According to those I have talked to, those bears that are hunted act exactly like the non-hunted here in Montana. One guy I know killed over 50 problem bears as an outfitter in the Yukon... he said they act the same as they do here. Some are aggressive, some aren't. They're all individuals.

There's no "education" that is going to take place with hunting. All we can do as hunters is reduce the numbers, and thereby reduce potential conflict. These are predators, not prey.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
now some are not going to like what i feel would be better in the lower 48. > we don`t need wolves, grizzly bears or people with towels on their head in the lower 48

Last edited by pete53; 09/04/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pete53
now some are not going to like what i feel would be better in the lower 48. > we don`t need wolves, grizzly bears or muslims in the lower 48

I'd support $5 over the counter resident tags and $10,000 non-resident draw for the shidt eating grizzles. How do you feel about that?

MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
better lower the price on non-resident tags if you want the wolves and bears killed .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shutting down a hunting area due to the numbers of Grizzlies? LOL!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by pete53
now some are not going to like what i feel would be better in the lower 48. > we don`t need wolves, grizzly bears or muslims in the lower 48

I'd support $5 over the counter resident tags and $10,000 non-resident draw for the shidt eating grizzles. How do you feel about that?

smile

TFF.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.