Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I seriously asked about beavers a while back. I've got some places on the farm that would be ideal beaver habitat, and I know beaver ponds are also good for deer and turkey. I was told by folks here and elsewhere that encouraging beavers would be the worst possible idea. I have to admit, in the places I've encountered them, they appear rather indiscriminate in what they chew down.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by shaman
I don't know how we'll get a qualified engineer to perform all those tests...

I am sure there are plenty of PEs on 24HC that would help you out for some hunting/fishing rights... and some pay.

I would, but I am in VA and slam busy with my own chaos.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I quite agree. I know he was spitballing the $20K figure. I'm willing to get into a little creepage, but I've also been reading Chapter 150 of the KY Revised Code this AM, along with all the other attendant stuff. Yikes! I don't know how we'll get a qualified engineer to perform all those tests AND get a dam built for $20K.

Good thoughts. That may very well be an area of significant risk. If your neighbor thinks he can “cowboy” the design and construction and it goes sideways, how are you protected? If the thing leaks like crazy and has recurring maintenance issues, what happens? It’s good you’re trying to think thru all this.

Last edited by turkish; 09/04/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would not do it. You hold ALL of the liability with a man made damn as the landowner that has it and your neighbor gets the benefit of a lake. If anything happens with that damn, then you are liable. Even if it is just a cow or two now, what happens in the future. You expect that damn to be there for more than a few years, so what happens if there is a pre-school build down stream in the future?

Also, if he is in a boat, you cannot keep him off 'your' part of the lake water. You put in a lot of work to make an underwater structure on your side and he does nothing other than get in a boat and fish your spot.

Fences make better neighbors (especially with the jerk history you have with his family).

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds like it is fairly common in your area so you should be able to find a civil engineer with some experience on this type of project. A consultation might save you a lot of headaches and regret.

On the other hand, you could just pick up a used dozer somewhere and have at it. Sounds like fun!

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Being a man of precious little property I may be scarcely qualified to contribute.

But it seems to me the land swap and the proposed dam are two entirely different issues, the land swap being far more pressing. Get that done while it can be done.

As for the dam, no one lives downstream now, but that too is subject to change at any time. You have to consider the probability that it WILL eventually fail.

Worse case scenario; that little lake has just enough water too attract nesting cattle egrets, which don’t feed around water but do nest around water. Before long you have 300 pairs of cattle egrets nesting in back of your home, their dropping stink up the place every summer and foul the lake, the resulting algae turning the water green, dying and using up all the oxygen and killing all the fish, the lake becoming a foul green morass speckled with dead fish. What’s left is ideal for breeding mosquitoes, the egrets carry West Nile.

Can’t touch the egrets they’re a protected species.

Meanwhile all the hundreds of baby egrets that get kicked/fall out of the nest wander pathetically around your back lawn, gathering against the house while slowly starving, their emaciated corpses forming fly-blown windrows.

I can show you three cattle egret colonies in San Antonio alone just like this.

The hog farm opens across the street and they complain about you.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The state will never let him dam up that stream, if it is in fact a stream.

That said, get some beavers.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
3) It cleans up a boundary that his father disputed with me from the day we met. He claimed about 5 acres on the other side of the current boundary and removed the survey stakes that had been placed when we bought the place.

That would piss me off no end and put the kibosh on all co-operation forever...I refuse to deal with thieves.

Pretty much standard practice in Appalachia. Mostly when it's an outsider moving in. They're usually considered an enemy and considered fair game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the first cleanups I worked was a new pond created by back-flooding a ravine. As the water rose an oil sheen appeared on the surface, then an oil skim. A previous owner had worked as a metal drum recycler and instead of disposing of wastes properly he re-drummed everything and buried them in the ravine.

The cost of that cleanup was a couple million bucks. The landowner couldn't afford the legal battle and let the bank foreclose on the property.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston

There are large portions of the Appalachians where representatives of govt offices don't [bleep] with.

Had a friend who worked as an EMT, got a call to a home up in a hollow (hollar). Woman was beat damn near to death and when they tried to take her to the hospital the husband retrieved a shotgun and threatened them. Friend got a call out to the local sheriff's dept who waited for state police back up (chicken schits) when they got there they talked him into allowing them to take her. When she asked why the hell they didn't arrest him, they told her there was only one road out and they'd never make it out of there alive with him in the back seat in custody.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I see many good comments here. My suggestion is to have the bottom property line come out just above the letter M at the damn. Have the entire land under the damn his. Widen your red section across the road to offset it. I would also include all of the drainage below the damn on his part of the property. You still can access the lake where it encroaches on your land. The entire maintenance and liability for the damn is 100% on his side. Yes, he could remove said damn in the future. But you have gained fully another piece of property. You might want a second small piece of land on the property directly across the road so you could have your son or anyone build there. Thus, I would not just do a lot line adjustment to the new boundaries but if you want a lot line adjustment do it only on the land you are giving up for the damn and below the damn. You would have part of your original piece shrink and gain a total new second piece. You might consider offering 12k toward the second piece and the agreement clearly states his is 100% responsible to build and maintain the damn, but you have access rights as an addendum to your deed. I think the damn should have a spillway. I also think there should be a built in gate to allowing draining. If in the future you get some nuisance animals (the birds mentioned above) then just let it fully drain down. A few months after nesting time you could close the drain and the spring and rain run off would fill it back up. Looks like this could be a good win win.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shared ponds/lakes with more than one owner can become a nightmare with disagreements on how to manage the BOW, the fish, and who has access to the fishing. Not saying that it would happen, but your neighbor might have completely different goals for the fishery than you do. It also might be harder to sell your property in the future due to the pond being shared and potential buyers not being able to have full control over what goes on at the pond.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by kingston

There are large portions of the Appalachians where representatives of govt offices don't [bleep] with.

Had a friend who worked as an EMT, got a call to a home up in a hollow (hollar). Woman was beat damn near to death and when they tried to take her to the hospital the husband retrieved a shotgun and threatened them. Friend got a call out to the local sheriff's dept who waited for state police back up (chicken schits) when they got there they talked him into allowing them to take her. When she asked why the hell they didn't arrest him, they told her there was only one road out and they'd never make it out of there alive with him in the back seat in custody.

I’m reminded of the saying, “Freedom isn’t free.” Hopefully, ole’ Junebug makes it out to vote.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 77 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.