Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Well I finally did it.
After years (decades?) of admiring the accuracy and good looks/feel of the CZ rimfires I bought a CZ 452 Varmint in 17 HMR today.
What has been holding me back from joining in on the CZ fun and universal accuracy was the bassackwards safety on their rimfires.
I have shot so many dozens of CZ's that belong to my friends and fellow Varmint Hunters and fun shooters and I literally admired them all.
I have shot friends CZ's in 22 L.R., 22 Magnum, 17 MachII and 17 HMR.
I have also seen them shoot so very well, time and again, at my local range also.
Anyway a local father and son who are real gun nut types have run into hard times due to ill health and monster medical bills. They are loosing their home and in fact are being evicted.
So I have been buying some ammo and gear from them as it comes up for sale (including the Winchester Power-Points I posted about recently).
This CZ I bought today is like new and has a great trigger - I tested it with 17 HMR snap caps. According to the son it was bought and a BSA 6x18 power "Sweet 17" scope was mounted on it and it did not get used much as the fathers medical condition declined.
It came with two CZ magazines and rings (but no scope) for $375.00.
I did not dicker on the price just bought it in hopes of "helping them out a bit" and in curing my need vs. hesitancy regarding CZ rimfires.
I plan on countering the bassackwards safety by never closing the bolt afield or at the range until I am immediately going to fire - and of course by handling/carrying/moving the Rifle only "empty".
I have a Leupold 4.5x14 laying around and plan on mounting that up tonight or tomorrow and testing it out as soon as the wind dies down (it's blowing at a steady 16 M.P.H. and has been all day here).
Wish me luck with the new Rifle and in dealing safely with the CZ safety.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Several years ago I found a like new CZ in 22hornet at a pawnshop and bought it.
I then sold my Ruger 22hornet to my BIL.
Well, I never was able to make the CZ shoot as good as my Ruger.
I also never did get used to the backasswards safety.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Congrats! That's on my wish list too. I have yet to own a .17 in any flavor- I guess it's high time I got off my butt.

As for safeties, well, I have every style safety known to mankind on my rifles and frankly never felt handicapped by any one of them. I take a minute and refresh my memory with every rifle I pick up, and have never had an incident when I missed out on a shot due to fumbling with a safety. In fact, a .22 sporter that I use a lot is a BRNO #2, daddy of the current crop of CZ rimfires and its safety is "backwards" too (depending on one's point of view) and I never really thought about it until now- I had to go look at it to make sure.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Nmitchell & Gnoahhh: I got the Leupold 4.5x14 (with A/O!) mounted on the CZ tonight and the bell of the Leupold clears the barrel by what appears to be 1/100th of an inch!
Got it bore sighted and have ammo on hand to sight in with as soon as the wind calms.
I appreciate the suggestions on "giving myself a talkin to" before I bring the CZ into use.
But it is just imprinted on my dyslexic brain that "forward is fire"!
Never owned a Brno but have admired them from afar.
I have had a long term (5 decades long!) love/hate relationship with the 22 Hornet myself trying to attain "accuracy" suitable to please me and be worthy of Varminting!
I have tried them all Ruger 77's, Anschutz's, Winchester 43's, Winchester Model 70's, savages and Ruger #1's!
VERY little luck accuracy wise with any of them.
The only one I still shoot for Varminting is a beautifully stocked Ruger #1-B. It has a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on it and after years of off and on load development/testing it now shoots just a hair under 1.000" groups (five shots at 100 yards).
I have had by FAR the worst luck attaining accuracy with the 22 Hornet than with any of the myriad of calibers/cartridges I have worked with over the last 60 years of handloading!
17's of all types (17 MachII's, 17 HMR's, 17 MachIV, 17 Remington Fireball's and 17 Remington's) have been exceptionally easy for me to attain excellent accuracy with!
I don't know why.
Yes Gnoahhh get a 17 (rimfire of centerfire!) and get shooting and having FUN!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Just got a call from a local friend and he wants me to help him lay out "yard markers" on his new property for a Rifle range!
He wants to set up shooting stantions at 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards.
He does not own a laser rangefinder but does have a 100 foot steel tape measure.
Probably take an hour or two in the morning.
There goes the possibility of a morning shoot.
Oh well he has done me some favors and I will take my Leica laser rangefinder and show him how its done!

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just think of the CZ safety as a hammer. Pull back to fire.

Bruce

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Bcp: Thanks for that.
I did take the CZ out for function testing and to get the new scope on paper.
Shot fairly well in the windy conditions with two groups (5 shots at 50 yards) measuring right at .600"
I should not have been shooting for group in that wind but couldn't wait and Archery Elk season does not open until tomorrow.
And just an hour ago today I kill't my first Varmint - a flying nest robbing type vermin.
Good shot at about 75 yards - puff and down from the top of a fence post!
Wind is down to next to nothing but its raining so will wait for another day to do more group shooting and ammo testing.
I have three kinds on hand but hope it shoots the Hornady 17 grain V-Max's that my other 17 HMR Rifles and pistol shoots so well.
Cocking the hammer (safety lever) yeah that may work for me when I am shooting the CZ.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
VG, you should love the CZ. I have 455 Varmint and fullstock. And try pistol primers in your hornet loads.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
finally..........................ha! let us know how she does for you bud. i have several cz rimfires,centerfires too, and they are consistent shooters and usually have decent looking lumber on 'em. my 452 american in 17hummer like hornady 17 grain vmax the best but will shoot the 20 grain soft point almost as well when violent expansion isn't needed. i blow up on a crow wing at 100 yards caused me to look at the 20 grain soft point. i bet this won't be your last cz rimfire. ask me how i know.....
good luck,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
They "corrected" the safety on the 457.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i hear ya uphiker but i can't warm up to the new look of the 457 personally. the 452/455 just look like a classic action. the new 457 looks somewhat savageish to me.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Uphiker: I looked the CZ 457 up and the link I found does not show the "new" safety.
I will be on the lookout for one in person to peruse.
Thanks for the info.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by UPhiker

I guess that depends on the definition of "corrected". The original safeties ( 452, etc) block the bolt so that the firing pin could not fall with the safety on, the 457 safety blocks the trigger rather than the firing pin. To me the 452 safety is more correct because it is a positive block.

I have never had an issue with the 452 safety - but then I have never had an issue with a firearm that has a tang safety, or a crossbolt safety, or a push-forward safety, or any of the other types.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
455 and 1022 w GM bbl going to the range tomorrow.
2-7x on the cz......my light rifle.
3-9x on the other heavy rifle.
Hopefully the wind aint bad.

Another forum somebody said pineys protected here (IN) Pulled up regs and saw no such thing..

They ate a guys truck wiring, got into attic. Place loaded w em. Not endangered....until I zero in. Lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Uphiker: I looked the CZ 457 up and the link I found does not show the "new" safety.
I will be on the lookout for one in person to peruse.
Thanks for the info.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Sold both of my 455's and replaced the 17hmr with a 457 American. No regrets whatsoever. Has a great 700 style (easily adjustable) trigger and safety. Shoots at least as well as the 455's (which were excellent). Love that rifle - Jack rabbit and rock chuck slaying sob. It has a long barrel but with the short action it really is not overly long and balances well offhand. Get 2750+fps regularly w Hornady 17gr Vmax. Not sure if it is the barrel or if the ammo is faster than it used to be, but it sure smacks vermin with authority.

Last edited by centershot; 09/19/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: Thank you for that info.
I got a super smokin deal on a CZ 455 last Friday afternoon at the Hamilton, Montana gunshow.
The owner relayed to me how it had been purchased for his grandson who has apparently gone off in a different direction - the grandfather relayed how it had no where near 500 rounds through it!
Anyway I paid $320.00 for the as new CZ 455 Varmint in 17 HMR, WITH a Burris 4.5x14 variable scope in quality rings!
I consider this an absolute steal and this gun gives me renewed incentive to always be the first one through the door when a gunshow opens!.
Haven't shot it yet but I am now the proud but slightly hesitant owner of two CZ Varmints in 17 HMR (the 452 and now this 455)!
The trigger on the CZ 455 is just amazing (I have snap caps in 17 HMR)!
I have been so busy I have not put my Scheaffer Trigger Pull Gauge to it as yet.
Still looking for a 457 to peruse.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by UPhiker

I guess that depends on the definition of "corrected". The original safeties ( 452, etc) block the bolt so that the firing pin could not fall with the safety on, the 457 safety blocks the trigger rather than the firing pin. To me the 452 safety is more correct because it is a positive block.

I have never had an issue with the 452 safety - but then I have never had an issue with a firearm that has a tang safety, or a crossbolt safety, or a push-forward safety, or any of the other types.

drover

Owner of a 452 and completely agree.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: Wind (and snow!) finally settled down a bit today and I made a dash for my friends private 100 yard range with my new (to me) CZ 455.
This Rifle has the Burris 4.5x14 variable scope on it and the excellent trigger that must have been worked on by the previous owner.
Anyway had three types of ammunition along to test but only needed to try my "old standby" ammo the Hornady 17 gr. V-Max stuff, that shoots so well in all my other 17 HMR's.
First group (after sight adjustments) at 100 yards measured a VERY respectable .788" (for 5 shots!).
I almost put the nifty little Rifle away and headed back home (it was cold at 27 degrees).
I am glad I didn't.
The next group (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .505"!
That grouping was the second best group I have ever fired at 100 yards with a rimfire Rifle using "Hunting ammo".
And I have been shooting groups with rimfire ammo for well over 50 years now.
I could NOT be happier with the CZ 455 and the Burris 4.5x14!
If I really wanted to be picky about the scope, the parallax at 100 yards was completely nullified with a setting on the adjustable objective corresponding to the 125 yards "mark" on the adjustable objective.
I can live with that.
I have recently purchased (at a gunshow) another Burris 4.5x14 variable scope exactly like the one on this CZ 455. I mounted it this evening on my CZ 452 in 17 HMR and removed the Leupold 4.5x14 and will save the Leupold for a foul weather big game Hunting Rifle.
I will have to re-test the CZ 452 again, maybe as soon as tomorrow.
If you recall I only shot the CZ 452 at 50 yards on the original range trip and it shot about .600" there at 50 yards (5 shot groups) in very poor conditions. And I only tested one type of ammo that day.
If I get out tomorrow I will try 3 types of ammo in the CZ 452.
I guess I am becoming a CZ kinda guy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Drover: Your observations on the 452 safeties is interesting to me - but it allays NO fears or trepidation of mine.
I have several friends who are all atwitter about the NEW "corrected" safety on the CZ 457!
In fact most all of them are interested in buying a CZ 457 for this main reason - the safeties on the CZ's they now own, are bassackwards and confusing!
In fact I went with a visiting Hunting and guntrading buddy of mine (from out of state) to my local gunshop last week and he was intent on buying a CZ 457 (heavy barrel!) but after the local gun shop owner called his supplier he was told they are "out of stock"!
This friend of mine is from Enumclaw, Washington and is both a part-time range officer and Hunter Education Instructor!
He is tired of using the "open bolt" method of "being on safe" when we Colony Varmint Hunt.
So... "some" people (especially us high volume Varmint shooters!) are definitely happy with CZ's decision to correct the safety!
I have attended sportsmens show religiously most all my adult life and when I get around to the CZ displays and talk with and listen in on the CZ factory representatives conversations the NUMBER ONE complaint/inquiry regarding the CZ rimfire line is "when are you going to correct the safeties"!
"I" am not the only one who trepidizes about the CZ bassackwards safeties - if you think differently you are simply avoiding reality.
You are welcome to do so.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can't let your comments on the safeties lay there.

. If you cannot adapt to a simple difference of direction in how a safety works, perhaps you ought to take up golf, or tennis, and leave these "complicated tools" to the rest of us.

For at least a couple of centuries now, those rifles with hammers have had a requirement to cock the hammer before you could shoot it. The CZ safeties work the same way, you pull the safety back, just like cocking the hammer on a Marlin 336 or Winchester levergun. Nothing to it, unless you're a raving simpleton, or a fuggin' retard.

Locking the firing pin is always better than locking the trigger, for a functioning safety, that should be clear, even to you

. If it isn't, you are the one avoiding reality, not drover, or me.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
ratsmacker: It seems CZ won't let their bassackward safeties "lay there" either!
They are doing away with them!
Maybe that fact alone is not sufficient to convince you something was "wrong there in Denmark"?
Go ahead and call other campfirers names if you are stupid enough to think that will somehow make your case - it won't!
CZ got the message and corrected the feature that so many people complained about and worried about!
Forward is now fire on the CZ rimfires and that is for the better and an improvement - whether you are smart enough to understand that or not.
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

75 members (808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 15 invisible), 1,113 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.