Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
VG -
Just curious - How many times have you personally seen, or have had, an accidental firing from operating a CZ 452 safety wrong?

The Brno predecessor ZKM 451 (basis) for the 452 was introduced in 1947 they have used the same safety system since then. So why do you suppose they changed it?
Could it be because the 457 is a completely different designed receiver that no longer lends itself to inexpensively manufacturing the bolt safety and in the interest of manufacturing expediency and simplicity they went with a trigger block safety?

A question -
How many lawsuits have you seen filed against CZ for defective trigger/safeties? Not as many as against a company affectionately known "Big Green" - Remington.
If you want to have "fears and depredations" concerning safeties there are firearms to be much more concerned about than the CZ's with their bolt locking safety.

By the way - being an internet bully does not give you the right to call people who disagree with you STUPID just because they have a different opinion. - that is called "Bullying" something you probably learned from being a cop - if you really ever were one.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I never had an accidental firing from the safety on my 455 it did cost me a coyote one time. With the new layout on the 457 I am used to it and find this layout more natural and very similar to my Bergara.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: Sorry about the missed Coyote!
The CZ 457 sure is a handsome Rifle. The correction of the bassackwards safety and the enhanced looks of it are making me wanting one.
How does it shoot accuracy wise?
How is your trigger?
I had my CZ 452 out day before yesterday and shot it at 100 yards with two kinds of ammo - it shot poorly in very good conditions?
Best group (5 shots at 100 yards) was 1.685".
I may have a problem with a ring/base screw not being able to fully torque down?
I will keep trying with this Rifle.
My CZ 455 shoots like a dream though - I am very happy with it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Played the game with CZ's for a few years - 452s, 453s, and a 455, 22LR, 22WMR, and 17HR. Never really saw the accuracy that some rave about, let alone bass-akwards safety. Sold them all and recently purchased a Vudoo V22 barreled action. Haven't had a chance to get the Vudoo out as I 'robbed' the Trigger Tech for it's completion to finish a 6.5PRC. frown

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like mine, the safety isn't an issue for me.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Centershot: Sorry about the missed Coyote!
The CZ 457 sure is a handsome Rifle. The correction of the bassackwards safety and the enhanced looks of it are making me wanting one.
How does it shoot accuracy wise?
How is your trigger?
I had my CZ 452 out day before yesterday and shot it at 100 yards with two kinds of ammo - it shot poorly in very good conditions?
Best group (5 shots at 100 yards) was 1.685".
I may have a problem with a ring/base screw not being able to fully torque down?
I will keep trying with this Rifle.
My CZ 455 shoots like a dream though - I am very happy with it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

How does it shoot? Well I was out checking zero on my deer rifle and took it along Sat morning. There was a bit of a breeze so a 3 shot group at 100 yards was 1 1/4". Moved into 50 and shot 3 into about 1/4" group just right of center, moved the scope a click and fired the next 3 into one small hole that could be covered up with a case standing on end. Trigger is excellent, easy to adjust just like a Rem 700. (mine is at 1.75#) I have the target, I'll take a pic and post it on here. Could head shoot a mouse at 50 yards no problem!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They painted a little red dot on the safety.

Last edited by crsides; 10/07/19.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: Gee great shooting there at 50 yards!
And that is great news about the adjustable trigger and obviously the trigger is working very well for you.
Yeah maybe I will trade off my CZ 452 and set out for a CZ 457 (heavy barrel)?
My friend from Washington now has a CZ 457 heavy barrel headed my way - he will pick it up here in Montana where there is no 9.9% sales tax!
He is coming out this Hunting season for a Hunt with me and that Rifle should be here by then.
Got a P/M from a "Campfirer" who stated the obvious to me - the people at CZ would not be making such a rudimentary and yet expensive "change" to their bassackwards safeties unless they had received many complaints and they saw the advantage to correcting that situation!
Which scope do you have on your CZ 457?
Thanks for the info - its intriguing to me.
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
I like mine, the safety isn't an issue for me.

.......... Same here...... Tried for 2 years to buy my buddies CZ-452 because he buys stuff all the time and sells off stuff to pay for it. Finally gave up when he told me that his CZ-452 was an undeniable keeper. January 2017 a few CZ rimfires came in at a local shop and I bought a CZ-455 Varmint Thumbhole Laminated with fluted barrel in 22 LR on the spot. Safety operation doesn't bother me a bit, as I have other firearms with a variety of safeties. I always recall that my CZ is the one with the "weird" safety. It's not enough to warrant concern from me, as I love that thing. 2-7x Vortex makes it my go to squirrel hunter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pic of 50 yard target. While every group is not quite this tight, enough of them are to feel pretty darn confident with this rig.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by centershot; 10/07/19.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: Indeed that is impressive shooting (grouping)!
Good for you and the "safety-corrected" CZ 457.
Thanks for taking the time to post the picture.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Castle Rock: My friend that is here from Washington state (to Hunt Antelope, Coyotes and Badgers with me) this week, took possession of the CZ 457 Rifle in caliber 17 HMR yesterday.
We had ordered it through my LGS a few weeks ago and finally the suppliers got some in and shipped it out west here.
It is beautiful, and after inserting a 17 HMR dummy cartridge the trigger is also very nice.
AND... the safety now works like virtually all American made Rifles have - forward is fire!
So far we are quite impressed with the Rifle and he has a scope (6x18 Leupold) ready for it back home.
I will relay his range results when he gets that done.
The wood on this CZ 457 is very dark but cool looking figure stripes still show against the dark color.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wood is the only place that the older 452's and 455's have it over the 457's.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yes the safety is different on the 452, 453, and 455. My thought is that my rim fire is not intended to take dangerous game, and so there is no need to keep it cocked and locked. I hunt grouse with mine, and put a loaded magazine in the well, after I have closed the action on an empty chamber. Doesn't take very long to rack one in if a shot presents itself, and if the shot is not taken, lift the bolt handle, drop the mag, and work the bolt to the rear. Always safe. Unless you're after grizzly bear with the rim fire.

At the range, same drill. Rifle is not cocked until I intend to shoot .......... Same drill if there is a cease fire ...... bolt lifted, mag dropped, bolt to the rear. But I do that same thing with my centre fire rifles as well as my handguns. My issued side arm for many years was a Sig P229 DAO. Carried one chambered, 12 in the mag. When taking it off after tour was complete, drop the mag with the pistol holstered. Draw with finger out of the trigger guard, and rack the action, locking the slide back. Check the chamaber, inspect the feed path. Install trigger lock. Safe weapon.

I have a CZ453 American in 22LR and it shoots very well. Set trigger which I usually don't use. The standard trigger breaks so clean and nearly movement free is set at about 2 pounds or a tad less. Son in law has a 452 American, also in 22LR. Also shoots very well. Neither of us has ever had an issue with the safety, because we rarely if ever use it.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only in North America is the safety backwards. The rest of the world does not mind. Get over it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by whitearrow
The 452/455 just look like a classic action. Big Ed

Except the safety is backwards. Deal breaker for me.

I have a Ruger 77/22 that has served me well for many years.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AB2506
Only in North America is the safety backwards. The rest of the world does not mind. Get over it.

Well, you see, most of us that are believers in the Second Amendment are also non-conformists at heart. There is nothing to "get over" & we don't care what the rest of the world does.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I sent my 452 trainer down the road last night, sort of regret it but I've got my eyes on some other guns right now. I know where a full stock 452 is sitting, if the price is right I may pick it up.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Reloader: I also have a couple of Ruger 77/22's ( 77/22 Varmint and a 77/22 boat paddle) and they shoot quite well.
BUT.... I was so impressed with my friends new heavy barrel CZ with the "traditional" safety lever/operation really intrigues me!
I hope you consider one of these if the "need" for another classy bolt action rimfire 22 appears.
I am waiting to hear from my friend who lives out in Enumclaw, Washington (but came to Montana to buy this CZ!) on how this Rifle shoots.
He is using the Burris insert rimfire rings and a Leupold 4x12 variable scope with A/O on this CZ.
I will let everyone know when I get those results.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
543 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.