Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone tried both ? Will be used for December elk hunt.
I ordered a pair of the Nevada’s . Kinda wish they were a tad taller.
Just hate to spend $50 more for 2 more inches .

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
December where?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Chama , NM.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok, so not especially cold. I have Crispi’s with Gore’s Duratherm insulation. I don’t find it warm enough in single digits here in Montana, but it should be just fine in NM at that time of year.

Personally I’d go with insulation...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Could possibly see some single digits or colder , but don’t think it will stay that cold all day .
Was also considering the Meindl comfort fit hunter , and might still order a pair to try on .
I’m just worried the 400 gram primaloft is going to be to warm for my feet.
Do you think the insulated Nevada’s with gaiters would suffice ?

Last edited by Stilllearning; 09/04/19.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
Could possibly see some single digits or colder , but don’t think it will stay that cold all day .
Was also considering the Meindl comfort fit hunter , and might still order a pair to try on .

Yes

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stilllearning

For me, I retired my Crispi’s and went back to a boot with 400 gram Thinsulate. But I frostbite my feet badly in 1976 so am likely a bit more susceptible to cold. For most, the 200 gram Crispi’s duratherm should be fine.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Still,
I've had the opportunity to hunt an area 45 minutes south of Chama for 20 years. You can get cold mornings (0*) as others have said but it could warm up into the 40's by noon or even higher. When we have gone there in Jan. we have had temps to -35* in the morning but the ranch is over 7000 feet.
I hunt with Schnee pac boots - with the felt liners - sort of a hybrid LL Bean style. We also hunt wearing snowshoes quite a few years too.
If you doubt the height of the boot - by all means, wear gaiters. If you are active, your insulated Crispi's should be fine. For long periods of glassing your feet may cool off.
I always carry an extra synthetic liner and medium weight wool sock so I can change up in the mountains. Whether there is snow or not, gaiters help to save wear and tear on the boots and pants too.
Good luck!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure most will laugh, but I quit wearing insulated boots when I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-H16...mp;psc=1&refRID=RHT470A1X9EKRVYW1HQ2

My feet sweat terribly in any boot with insulation I've ever had. I sit for long periods of time (eastern whitetail hunter) and my feet would freeze shortly after I stopped moving no matter what boot/sock combination I tried.

Switched to uninsulated boots, and honestly couldn't tell much difference in the warmth, and my feet sure didn't sweat near as much. Still would get cold after I stopped moving. I saw some of those toe warmers at Wal-mart and tried them. Best thing in the world for my feet. Keeps me comfortable for very long sits in the cold.

Now if it's really cold, like 15 degrees F and under, I have some Arctic Shield boot covers that I use. Drop a Hot-hands in them and put them on when I get to where I'm going and I'm good to go all day.

Been wearing Meindl Denali's and haven't had any issue with cold feet for the past couple years. Will be wearing Crispi Colorados this year, and have no worries about them in the cold weather.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.