Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Draws dawn and dusk trash duty, everyone knows how rugged they are as an all weather sidearm, mine also happens to ride in the quietest holster I own, will be packing it starting Oct 1 during bow season and carrying on into muzzle loader season here at the farm, issue is, I built a mineral station up on the mountain for the deer a few months back, well, a damn big black bear and giant feral boar have took up residence in the area.

Not looking forward to creeping around in the dark with those two around, I have a bear tag, hogs are a gimme, I didn't want to tackle either on the ground with my carry load, 7grs of Longshot pushes a 230gr gold dot to 922 fps average, just confirmed this morning over the chrono in preparation for shooting the new bullet, loaded a 200gr Lehigh penetrator over 8grs Longshot, Lehighs website recommends 7.7grs power pistol for a +p 45 ACP load, Longshot being a bit slower burning, I dumped 8 grs and headed to the chrono, 1031 fps, great, I loaded three more and got similar speeds, definitely +P performance, brass looked good with no bulges.

Loaded the rest of the first box of 50 bullets into the new R-P cases at 1.230" col, headed to the bench, at 10 and 15 yards it prints plenty good enough for intended purposes, fit, function and accuracy were first rate, I have damaged fmj rounds on differing mediums, both round and flat point fmj's, I don't think a bear or hog will hurt this bullet, just thought I'd drop a line or two in case anyone has been contemplating using the 200gr Lehigh in their 45 ACP's.

BTW, does anyone know why a black bear would climb into a mineral station? surely the hell he's not eating so many fawns he needs a shot of salt to go with them. crazy

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a winning combination. I hunt big blocks of public ground in the Missouri Ozarks. I hunt in our elk restoration area. We have a bunch of hogs, pretty good bear population and a few mountain lions around. I hike with a climbing treestand anywhere from 1/4 mile to 1.5 miles through the hills to my favorite stand sites. The walk out after dark gets a little exciting when you bump hogs on a narrow trail through an old clearcut. Twice I've had a stand off, once with a monster boar and once with a sow and little pigs. While scouting one morning a couple weeks ago I walked up on about a 300 lb. bear. I gutless debone and quarter my deer and pack the meat out. Shank a deer right at dark and by the time I have lugged the treestand back to the truck and picked up my frame for meat packing it is well into the night. I have packed my G20 10mm at times. When the trip was long and over steep rough country I have even gone down to an Airweight J frame .38 with +P hardcast. The little snubbie .38 isn't as comforting as the 10mm but it is better than a pocket knife.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think that will work Dad

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I haven't tried that 200gr Lehigh in mine yet, sounds like a good load. What's your quiet holster?

Sometimes in water moccasin country I carry my G21 with a CCI shotshell in the chamber and a mag full of serious bullets. Those shotshells pattern pretty well in the Glock barrels and cycle the action just fine, so they make a good snake load and a good hollow point or penetrator is just another trigger pull away. (Of course a good stick or avoiding them works too, but sometimes it's on family property with lots of kids around; we kill all we see there.)

Last edited by Yondering; 09/05/19.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
MOGC, Thanks, and yes, running into the unknown or in these cases known in the dark plain sucks, a reason I wont slip up that mountain in the dark when it's windy, I want them to hear me coming in, or if lucky hear them too, i'll move in at daybreak on those days, have heard bears are really quiet in the woods.

Thank you too Big G, and dang, now I have four sons to split my guns up to when they call in the backhoe. grin

Yondering, a few rounds yes, but I really like the load, quietest holster, believe it or not, is a Blackhawk Serpa, I cant make that thing make a sound, particularly with a canvas belt, I love leather, and my 1911's, have a DW 10mm with Lehighs for it too, the big Sig 226 40 cal rides in leather, but holy damn it squeeks, just to loud for bowhunting, or any day hunting when the winds are calm, it can get eerily quiet up on that big hill.

I keep the pond banks brush hogged here too, moccasins usually get it from me from the seat of a tractor, via #6 12 gauge shot, black, bull and king snakes all get a pass.

Trump Won!
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Glock's first .45 ACP was/is a pretty under rated handgun. I carried one for years and they were tack drivers. I often used mine a fair bit during big game season. I would make the first trip out with some meat, then leave my rifle in the truck to save weight and carry the G21 along with a meat sled and recover the rest of my elk, or whatever I was hauling.

Great guns.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having lived with an issue G22 for years, I've always been partial to the 21SF. A real decent, hard-use 45 Auto that won't pee down it's leg if you feed it some heavy loads.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunner, you haven’t wore out that gun yet? 😜

I’d bet money that load will work!

My preferred load for that kind of stuff is the factory Buffalo Boar Outdoorsman Load of 255 gr. Hard Cast Flat Nose bullet @ 925 FPS.
It feeds reliably in all of my 45 acp pistols and works very well on big ole feral hogs here at the Ranch.
It’s usually what I’m packing in some 1911 variant when bow hunting here at the Ranch.

Good luck my friend! Hope you shoot a good one with your Bow & Smokepole on opening day!!!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/06/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Mac, back in the day, iirc, late 80's, I carried a G-21, ran 230gr Hornadys hard too, I never remember any sort of failure, get on the trigger it goes boom and is ready for more.

Agreed Sarge, what I just said to Mac, in my younger, more exploratory days, I did indeed take 230gr FMJ's to 1000 fps with AA#7 in that old G21, it never hiccupped.

LOL, CHLI, not even close, and you saw pics of exactly why I ordered then loaded some Lehigh penetrators, that wild boar in front of that 4 foot cattle panel must weigh 400 lbs, the bustard looks about 7 feet long too, and that bear that climbed over into the pen aint no baby either. cool that Mathews Triax is punching arrows out at 325 fps with a razor sharp Exodus fixed three blade broadhead, it should punch through either of them.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Gunner, you haven’t wore out that gun yet? 😜

I’d bet money that load will work!

My preferred load for that kind of stuff is the factory Buffalo Boar Outdoorsman Load of 255 gr. Hard Cast Flat Nose bullet @ 925 FPS.
It feeds reliably in all of my 45 acp pistols and works very well on big ole feral hogs here at the Ranch.
It’s usually what I’m packing in some 1911 variant when bow hunting here at the Ranch.

Good luck my friend! Hope you shoot a good one with your Bow & Smokepole on opening day!!!

PS Don't buy BB ammo from BB directly. They charge over $30.00 shipping for a 30 round box of ammo. Midway, for the same product (BB .45 ACP Outdoorsman), charges about $10.00.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 51 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,727
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.