Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pugs
Let's just go ahead and declare this thread of the year for the CF and award doc the fame and riches he deserves. Really well told.

No argument from me. Doc has a way with words..........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by badger
Let's just go ahead and declare this thread of the year for the CF and award doc the fame and riches he deserves. Really well told.

No argument from me. Doc has a way with words..........

For sure.

Very enjoyable read. One of the best.

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Jeez, Pugs!! You crazy?!>

Dude: you are supposed to lick crack, not smoke it...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=GRF]I agree with DF about the quality of your writing, are you going to see if you can get it into a hook and bullet magazine?[/quote

I would second this motion. Great job Doc. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was a real joy to read, Doc.
Thanks for taking the time. Also, congrats on the hunt and finding a fine woman.

Slave

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Excellent story. I could only wish. Thank you for taking the time to write that, it was an excellent read.

SD-8: Dinner
You are a lucky man to have a wife that "understands" what it is to be a hunter. As much as I love my wife of 33 years, she will never really understand. Good luck to Cate on her first deer hunt. She will be hooked forever.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket
The 20 Day Safari

At the end of Safari Day 1, after dinner was done and our bellies were full and we sat at table with glasses of scotch and cups of coffee and cigars and pipes lit and all the good stuff, I told John I had noticed something.

I began by summarizing my 2015 hunt for the others. John needed no reminding, as his memory for hunts and hunting details is astounding: he recalled almost every detail of my hunt 4 years before as well as I did, and recalled some details I had forgotten. But for those of you who may not recall it quite so well (ahem. ) here's a brief summary: I shot a nice zebra stallion on SD1, then we began stalking buffalo on SD2, killed a good buffalo on SD4, killed a really good kudu on SD6, then it started to rain, and we never got another shot on game despite looking hard for eland and waterbuck every day thereafter.

"So here's the thing, John," I said after the summary discussion hinted at above. "I had a great hunt in 2015, with the exception of not getting an eland, which is simply the way hunting goes. But I've been thinking, and maybe more accurately feeling, and what it feels like is this." I paused to puff my pipe and take a sip of coffee.

"What it doesn't feel like, to be precise, is that today doesn't feel like Day 1 of a new safari," I continued. "In reality, it feels like Day 11 of a continuing, ongoing, 20-day safari. It feels like I never left. We are still hunting eland, we are looking for our second buffalo, and maybe a second kudu, and definitely a nice waterbuck, but it's not a new hunt at all. We've added a couple of new people to have fun with us," I pointed my pipestem at Cate and Rayno, "But you and I are still on the same hunt we were on in 2015."

John smiled that small smile of his when something has got him thinking. "I think that's a very good way of looking at it, James," he said. "I'm pleased to hear that's how it feels to you, too."

"So that's how it feels to you as well?" I asked.

"I often feel that way," he said. "Not with everyone, but with clients who become friends, as you have done, that's how it feels."

Cate and Rayno seemed bemused by the conversation, but there were so many other good things to talk about they didn't mind. John and I mentioned it to each other now and again for the rest of the safari. (For example, on the morning of our second-last day in camp, I said to John as we walked out to the truck together, "Day 19, John, and we still haven't found him." "Don't remind me," he murmured in agreement. More on this discussion later...)

It may not seem like much to the casual reader, but to the African hunter, this concept of a never-ending safari that you can pick up at any time in the future is a profound one. The hunt never really ends, you simply lay it down after a while, and then after a longer while, you can pick it up again.

And that, my friends, is a priceless gift.

To be continued...

Just so I know where I left off.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great job, Doc!! Really enjoyed the entire write up. You have an amazing way with the pen - hope you have this all printed out in a journal somewhere for future generations to read.

Joe

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoyed your narrative and pictures, Doc. Congratulations to you and Cate. Glad you had a great time.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was masterfully done and a very, very enjoyable read.

Congrats on the great hunt, there is nothing like Africa.

Cheers, Doc.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed your hunting story from the start. well wrote up thank you doc

Tarbe Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Outstanding job James....the hunting and the writing.

I really cannot say what I enjoyed the most...seeing Cate become a hunter, your well-earned Bull, or going along on a hunt with John and feeling like I am back in the BVC with that special man, once again.

Yes, God willing I would love to make another hunt with John. After getting my bull with him on day 6 (the week after your hunt), I spent 6 days chasing Eland...numerous close calls, but the Eland are still running!

Thanks for taking the time to capture this great time and I look forward to seeing you and Cate again at DSC in January.

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE! congrats on another fine adventure Doc, Thank You too Tarbe. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the write up. This is as close to Africa as some of us will ever get.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Thank you for the write up. This is as close to Africa as some of us will ever get.

Yep! Great writing too, Doc !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Thanks for the kind words, fellas. I write this stuff up more for my own satisfaction than for any dreams of publication. I’m too long winded for magazines, and I don’t know if anyone would publish this stuff in a book as a collection of stories. Not a real worry. BTW, this was all written straight out with hardly any editing. It’s pretty raw. And there’s some details I left out... I didn’t make enough with the Wayne Gretzky sub-theme, which was hilarious at the time, for example...

John Barsness has mentioned that stories of this type just don’t sell any more, which is why he switched over to more technical writing. This is a shame, as he writes really fine hunting stories. So do other people. But the gunzines won’t print them, and the short-attention-span readers of today won’t read them. So there you are.

Anyway... thanks for readin', guys.

I prefer the technical stories to the long, drawn, out repetitive trype,
the stories usually become. Throw in the easily predicted ending,
the sentimental sub plot......Oh yes! Don't forget hyping the guide service
that was comped and the unending product promotion the layer stories have
Included in more recent times.

You avoided all that Doc.
No promotion.
No points to hit, or make.
You just took us along on your safari,
brought us right into it.

I enjoyed it.
And would gladly come a long on another.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great recounting dad but the only thing wrong with this whole story is you didn't let mom shoot a sable!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great stuff, Doc. Your excellent prose took me right back to the three times I've hunted Africa, almost like I'd never left.
Thank you!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Doc, I don't think I've read anything here on 24hcf that I enjoyed more than your story. Well done does not even come close to how well you put this story together. And coming from a guy that spent over 12 days hunting buff and coming home empty handed, I certainly understand how hard earned a buff can be. Even though I was unsuccessful, I've never enjoyed hunting more than when hunting buff!

Congrats to your wife on her successful hunt and for learning what it means to be a true hunter. You've obviously been blessed to have such a lady in your life.

And last, but not least, congrats to you for such a fantastic, wonderful hunt and for collecting some trophies and memories that cannot be forgotten!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well done and well told, James! I'm very happy for you and Cate. THAT's an adventure!

I bet Kat is going to be envious as Hell about Cate and her hunting! I can't wait until she reads this saga! grin

All the best to the two of you and we'll catch up again. sometime soon!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.