24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a 12" snow in late May. Wondering if that killed off the local little ones. So far have not seen my first baby turkey of the year here. Seems odd.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been seeing a pair of hens fairly often, one has 3 poults, the other 2. Occasionally see two or three others with none.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Piedmont of South Carolina here. Have seen as many hens and poults this summer as i’ve Ever seen. Fingers crossed the population is on the rebound. Last spring was good after a couple of down years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here in Indiana, I saw 2 hens with 12-15 little ones in tow. We have had a wash-out spring this year, but it doesn't seemed to have affected them very much.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JamesJr,
I’m a little North of you, but I think we came out a little better concerning the hatch. We’ve been working on food plots here for about two weeks so I’ve spent a lot of time in the woods and field edges lately. I have seen several hens with poults of all different sizes and many turkeys in general. They may be making a comeback here after a few down years.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lastround
JamesJr,
I’m a little North of you, but I think we came out a little better concerning the hatch. We’ve been working on food plots here for about two weeks so I’ve spent a lot of time in the woods and field edges lately. I have seen several hens with poults of all different sizes and many turkeys in general. They may be making a comeback here after a few down years.

Saw my first little ones of the year today. They were about half grown, and not close to home. I still haven't seen any here at home, although most of the farm is in corn and beans, and I couldn't see them anyway. I'm hoping it's just a case of me not seeing any, rather than there not being any, although I have had turkeys on trail cam, hens and gobblers, but no little ones.

Last edited by JamesJr; 08/21/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was out yesterday evening here in Northern VA and saw more little birds than I have seen here in some time. I didn't see any last year. There were 3 that looked really small. I'd say no more than 6"s or so tall. But the other batch at least 4 were already trying to fly.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
2 hens with about 9 poults in the field across from my place in NE Wisconsin yesterday. Also saw an adolescent bald eagle too, poults better watch out!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am going to have to retract my last statement, I am seeing turkey's everywhere. I think it was a late hatch or something because they are showing up in several places.
I am happy about that for sure.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of large clutches of chicks around here in western South Dakota. The young ones are already big and I'm also seeing lots of beard dragging gobblers. We have a good grasshopper hatch with our continuing rains and I believe that is why we have such a healthy population.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I finally got to see some of this year's hatch on the property.

Last night, I went down to open the gate to the back 200 and I startled a whole herd of them. They were close enough to the house that I was able to go back to the security camera and see them in detail.

There were a total of 12. 2 were hens. The rest were evenly split between poults and whatever you call them after they get their first set of normal feathers-- the 2/3ths scale turkeys. So I guess what happened was one brood came through in the normal way, getting laid in April/May, and the others hatched late.

This is better than I'd expected. Last year, I saw one very late brood. I've been seeing mostly late broods as I've been out driving.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
in the last 2 weekends I have see more turkeys on our lease than the last 5 years . to much rain in spring and summer. the hens I saw had more chicks with them than I have seen I years . we have not hunted them in a long time

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.