Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by lvmiker
When there is a question about handgun choice Glock is always the best answer.

mike r

What do all the people who have to be one of the cool kids carry?

I'm not sure of your definition of cool kids but most of the people I know who take defensive shooting seriously carry Glocks. Becoming proficient takes a lot of work for most people and high volume shooters often rate reliability as the 1st requirement. I was issued a Sig 226 and shot about 1k rounds/week for 12 years and found it very reliable but, for me, difficult to learn to shoot well and difficult to conceal.

I purchased a Glock 17 in 1987 and in less than 1k rounds was a convert for life. Many serious shooters have been converted by the shootability, relentless reliability and ease and economy of maintenance. I used a G23 for a few years then switched to G19s for EDC. Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights.

Several of my associates are now carrying single stack Glocks and I am probably going to add one soon. We all carry at all times and train frequently and deliberately.

I chose to take your question seriously and hope you find my response sufficient.

mike r

Well, my question wasn't especially serious but I appreciate your detailed and personal reply.

Don't you find any contradiction between "Glock is always the best answer" and "Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights". There have got to be choices out there for some people that don't require hacking on the grips and replacing the sights at least.

There is.

Start with your own 80% frame and build it the way you want it:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018339425

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never shot one but was in the local shop today and I really liked the feel of the Glock 43x.
Been kicking around getting a 36 but the 43x might Trump it.

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 09/03/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Compact = Glock 19
Sub compact = Glock 43

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love my Sig P365 in the subcompact role, and my new Sig P365 XL will bump my Glock 19 to the safe if the XL passes more testing.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I am very happy with my Glock 43

Bingo

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I love my Sig P365 in the subcompact role, and my new Sig P365 XL will bump my Glock 19 to the safe if the XL passes more testing.

I’ve been a Glock Fan for years. But the Sig P365 has been the best shooting compact carry gun I’ve bought in YEARS.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by johnw
Lots of Ruger Lc9S's left out there. I love mine.

I paid maybe more than I should have, but I bought before the price dropped steeply.

Either theLc9S or it's ec9s clone are reliable, accurate, and user friendly.

Really liked the LC9S pro. May some around to see if I can find a new one.

Yeah, those are pretty ideal for a single stack 9mm. Only thing I don't particularly like about them is the take down procedure.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jeeper

Compact = Glock 19
Sub compact = Glock 43

Yep. Or split the difference and just get a Glock 26.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Interested in your 365 XL findings, Cheyenne.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
When there is a question about handgun choice Glock is always the best answer.

mike r

What do all the people who have to be one of the cool kids carry?

I'm not sure of your definition of cool kids but most of the people I know who take defensive shooting seriously carry Glocks. Becoming proficient takes a lot of work for most people and high volume shooters often rate reliability as the 1st requirement. I was issued a Sig 226 and shot about 1k rounds/week for 12 years and found it very reliable but, for me, difficult to learn to shoot well and difficult to conceal.

I purchased a Glock 17 in 1987 and in less than 1k rounds was a convert for life. Many serious shooters have been converted by the shootability, relentless reliability and ease and economy of maintenance. I used a G23 for a few years then switched to G19s for EDC. Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights.

Several of my associates are now carrying single stack Glocks and I am probably going to add one soon. We all carry at all times and train frequently and deliberately.

I chose to take your question seriously and hope you find my response sufficient.

mike r

Well, my question wasn't especially serious but I appreciate your detailed and personal reply.

Don't you find any contradiction between "Glock is always the best answer" and "Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights". There have got to be choices out there for some people that don't require hacking on the grips and replacing the sights at least.

I have yet to find a semi auto pistol that is perfect for me out of the box. When I was first shooting USPSA comps and carrying 1911s for my EDC I spent enough on guns and mods to buy a nice car. Most of the 1911 $ was spent trying to find/make them reliable. Few production guns come w/ optimal sights and improved stuff comes available on a regular basis. None of the Glock mods are a result of reliability issues. My Production Class race guns were Glock 34s w/ a variety of sights and a litle sanding around the trigger guard. I currently own a G17 and aG19 w/ more than 100k rounds. Both are stocks guns w/ only the grip and sights personalized.

I am not a misionary or a Glock employee and do not try to convert anyone but it is difficult prioritize any factor higher than reliability in a self defense gun and no other has a track record equal to the G17 based pistols.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Funny, the OP wouldn't know a pistol from a hatchet, yet the mall ninjas are yammering on and on about stuff the OP can't understand.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by dla
Funny, the OP wouldn't know a pistol from a hatchet, yet the mall ninjas are yammering on and on about stuff the OP can't understand.

I’ve owned a Glock 23 .40 for 10+ years. I Just want to know what else is out there in the compact world and hear some reviews.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Andymick43: I am sure happy with my Glock 43 and heartily recommend one to you.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
If you are going to carry it, you should shoot it a lot.

I couldn't agree more, if you plan to carry this for self defense your life and the lives of your loved one may depend on it one day it is something to take very seriously and train regularly with it. With that being said you will want to go get your hands on a lot of different firearms to see how they feel, my suggestion is to find the closest range that will let you rent out handguns and try them out first. Me personally I have always loved Walther handguns I recently got a Bersa BP9CC which I am still getting used too but I really enjoy shooting it and so does my wife.

Being in the woods soothes the soul
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a Shield 1.0 in 9mm, and I find it easy to shoot, easy to conceal in OWB, and reliable. I think it was 275 with 4 magazines, a loader, and HP ammo as a promotion.
I bought 2, one to carry, and a spare in the truck in case I am not carrying.
I am thinking about a MP 2.0 with 3.6 barrel. I'm a little afraid of the weight as compared to the Shield with 9 rounds.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
S&W SHIELD

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by andymick32
Originally Posted by dla

I’ve owned a Glock 23 .40 for 10+ years. I Just want to know what else is out there in the compact world and hear some reviews.

So this was a troll then.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 43x has a longer grip, and 10tnds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jeeper

Compact = Glock 19
Sub compact = Glock 43

Yep. Or split the difference and just get a Glock 26.

I have a 19 and a 43, and HAD a 26. I did not care for the 26, as it just felt somewhat "clunky", for the lack of a better word. I find the 43 to be much more concealable, and despite the fewer rounds, a better carry option for me. I rarely carry the 19 concealed now that I have the 43, but do keep it in the vehicle a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Glock 43 in my "jammie" pocket right now.

When my pants go on, my Glock 19 goes on my waist, in a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB.

I can hit well with either pistol, but just a hair better with the 19.

This is my "go to" combo, from when I get out of bed and for the rest of my day.

Virgil B.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,490
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.