Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/A...salmon-fishing-boundaries-558952591.html

Just one in a long line... pun intended...

Troopers: Alaska fisheries lobbyist allegedly violated salmon fishing boundaries

By Associated Press | Posted: Sat 10:11 AM, Aug 31, 2019 | Updated: Sat 10:47 AM, Aug 31, 2019

SITKA, Alaska (AP) — Alaska wildlife troopers have confiscated catch from a fishing industry lobbyist suspected of fishing in closed waters.

CoastAlaska reported Thursday that 55-year-old Bob Thorstenson Jr. was commercial fishing Sunday when wildlife troopers say he came within 200 yards of a protected salmon stream near Sitka.

Wildlife officials say his seine fleet was targeting chum in an area where native pink salmon were especially vulnerable.

Authorities say Thorstenson could face fines up to $15,000, a year in prison and the gross value of the catch estimated at about $50,000 if convicted of the misdemeanor.

Officials say his 41-ton hatchery fish catch was seized and turned over to a seafood processor.

Officials say the state-registered lobbyist was the executive director of Southeast Alaska Seiners Association.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What ever happened to Al Kookesh and his overlimit sockeye harvest?

He was going to take it all the way to the AK supreme court.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is he nominated to the BOF?
Oh, wait. Billy ain’t gov no mo. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chum? What do they do commercially with them?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

Big market for their roe.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank

Big market for their roe.

also marketed as smoked "keta" salmon. I smoked the few we got bright in Kodiak, not bad eating.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We followed a recipe for chum roe to make caviar. NASTY. I suspect that might be my opinion of all caviar though if I ever sampled anything else.

We eat and have eaten non chrome ones, but not really colored up bright yet, and found if you bake, and don't freeze, IE eat fresh, while they are not quite like sliver or red, I just can't find much fault with them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And on another note, harvest their roe and toss the fish? Surely they make fish meal or something eh?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
They harvest the roe. Carcasses are headed, gutted, frozen, and sent to china for filleting, then sent back here or wherever else they're sold.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pabucktail
They harvest the roe. Carcasses are headed, gutted, frozen, and sent to china for filleting, then sent back here or wherever else they're sold.

Fish old enough for good ikura are too far gone to sell as good fish. Shipping one way would cost too much, let alone round trip. Filleters are expected to do a salmon in under 10 seconds.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They also make them into dog treats, Yummy Chummies!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We followed a recipe for chum roe to make caviar. NASTY. I suspect that might be my opinion of all caviar though if I ever sampled anything else.

We eat and have eaten non chrome ones, but not really colored up bright yet, and found if you bake, and don't freeze, IE eat fresh, while they are not quite like sliver or red, I just can't find much fault with them.

Chum ikura is the Grail. The eggs are huge. Whole runs out west were wiped out for the Japanese egg market. I like ikura, but chum is not my favorite.

From salt they are good but once colored they lose a lot, fast. Fantastic fish on a fly rod.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

And purses, wallets and boots. Tough hide!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hide is beyond tough for sure, and they are a blast on fly rods. Carolyn looks at me madly at times, when I sneak the 4 weight back into her hand instead of the 6 weight... she says takes way to long to wear one out... I say have fun!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

And here I thought the stinky pinkies were not bad at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hide is beyond tough for sure, and they are a blast on fly rods. Carolyn looks at me madly at times, when I sneak the 4 weight back into her hand instead of the 6 weight... she says takes way to long to wear one out... I say have fun!

I remember a trip to Cordova years ago where I broke the tip on my son's new Cabelas Korean rod on a chumley, first fish it ever had on.
tough. they always pull, never rest like a silver or king will do.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Just as a suggestion... fish intended to be released are a lot more delicate than many believe. Lots of folks would give a serious ass-chewing for over-working a salmon. An 8wt is more in line with what a chum deserves. As a guide it becomes more important.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
We camped out at the head of one of the inlets halfway from whittier to valdez...I always had troll gear onboard. Saw some jumpers, and hung a few bright chums. They ate just fine. Tried the same spot on another trip, and hung a couple of 15lb feeder kings...those are another "kettle of fish" from the eating standpoint!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vek
We camped out at the head of one of the inlets halfway from whittier to valdez...I always had troll gear onboard. Saw some jumpers, and hung a few bright chums. They ate just fine. Tried the same spot on another trip, and hung a couple of 15lb feeder kings...those are another "kettle of fish" from the eating standpoint!

wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Just as a suggestion... fish intended to be released are a lot more delicate than many believe. Lots of folks would give a serious ass-chewing for over-working a salmon. An 8wt is more in line with what a chum deserves. As a guide it becomes more important.

You are spot on. We had intended grayling and so we had 4 and 6 only with us last fall . It has been fun at times. But I don't do it anymore, having seen what you have seen. Stick with heavier weights even though its not as fun. 6-8 and sometimes 12 for some goofy reason. One never knows it all, one learns as they can.

But I certainly appreciate the input. We will have to share a fire and a beer or so at some point I hope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 71 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.