Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14104379 09/06/19
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Remington 700 and having the barrel and action cerakoted, rather than buy the stainless version. I've found a place here in state that does it, but have been wondering if there are any members on here who either do cerakoting, or know a shop that does, and can vouch for their work. Thanks in advance for any answers.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Eddie Fasnaugh. He occasionally posts on here. He’s from Michigan.

B

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
[Linked Image]

Love it on my Encore SML conversion

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
the gentleman that did mine does Encores and shotguns but not sure about a bolt action CF.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cerakote is nothing like as good as the claims. I will never do another. I have seen the finish fail in less than a week of relatively light use. And it was applied by a very experienced smith.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooter71 does it quite well. PM him.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Get stainless, Cerakoting is a poor substitute for stainless. I’ve got several rifles that are cerakoted and they look good, but stainless is the way to go for a real working rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can Cerakote stainless.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can rattle can it too, for a lot less!
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Swampman700
You can Cerakote stainless.

Sheer profundity

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I only have Cerakote on one rifle, but it hasn't rubbed off or discoloured. Perhaps some of the shops incorrectly prepare the metal before they apply the Cerakote.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Cerakote is nothing like as good as the claims. I will never do another. I have seen the finish fail in less than a week of relatively light use. And it was applied by a very experienced smith.

I was not done right...more than Likely they used glass beads instead of Ali oxide for a blast profile...this is a must...I have done several for guys that use there guns hard and it wears like iron...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It’s paint. Maybe pretty good paint but paint nonetheless. It will scratch and rub and mar. If you want bombproof you want melonite even though it doesn’t come in bubblegum pink or smurf blue.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Get stainless, Cerakoting is a poor substitute for stainless. I’ve got several rifles that are cerakoted and they look good, but stainless is the way to go for a real working rifle.

I'll agree, but Remington is not offering the stainless model that I want.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I was not done right...more than Likely they used glass beads instead of Ali oxide for a blast profile...this is a must...I have done several for guys that use there guns hard and it wears like iron...

I doubt that. I have seen it done by smiths that come highly recommended and I doubt they missed the obvious stuff.

I have some reason to believe different colors may well perform better than others. But there are a lot of Cerakote colors so figuring out which is better may be tough.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have three Cerakoted rifles, and the results from them make me puzzled about the today common claims that it's worthless. Here are a couple of photos of a rifle built in 2007, that was Cerakoted by the company that put it together, Serengeti (now Kilimanjaro). I have used this rifle for more hunting than all except one of the other rifles I own, a NULA .30-06, in four countries in North America and Africa. The photos show the only places the Cerakote has "worn" through, around the muzzle and a big scratch on the trigger guard that not only went through the finish but gouged out a little steel. That occurred in a fall on rocky trail on a steep mountain, which also bent the objective end of the scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The other two rifles have been use somewhat less, so show even less wear (or damage), so I am pretty satisfied with Cerakote. The one thing I was told during the period when the 3 rifles were coated is that the amount of silica in Cerakote has an effect on its hardness, since the silica is what melts during the baking process and binds the stuff together: The more silica content, the harder the Cerakote.

But have also had good friends have bad luck with Cerakote, enough to make me wonder what is going on.

My NULA's titanium nitride finish, by the way has held up a little better than the Cerakote on this rifle, but only a little--and it's been hunted even more.

Will also comment that my experience with the stainless steels normally used in rifle barrels is they will rust some if subjected to enough salt, whether salt air or leather saddle scabbards that have soaked up years of horse-sweat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
98% of the rifles I coat are stainless. Stainless used in rifle actions and barrels rust too, it's not rustless. In fact, some of the most rusted rifles i have coated come from the coastal regions and were stainless. Kimbers and the Tikkas tend to orange up easier than the others, from what i have seen.

Cerakote is not a paint, it is a two part coating that is heat cured in case of the "H" series. Prep is everything and getting a full cure is just as important. As pointed out already, you drop it down a mountain in the rocks it's going to scratch, sharp edges will wear and wherever metal to metal has moving contact. The corrosion protection and chemical resistance of cerakote is the best IMHO.

Some people get the notion it is never going to scratch or wear, just not true and never has been, but it will also do it slower while protecting totally from corrosion and effects of chemicals.

I have a couple of custom actions of my own in DLC and melonite. Guess what, they wear no better than cerakote, but are a better choice for a real tight tolerance bolt. If i ever refinish them, it will be cerakote, but the bolt body will be left alone.

It only stacks up about a .001" thick when applied correctly.

To the OP, if you live in a humid environment with quite a bit of rain or hunt in inclement weather often, cerakote will absolutely be a benefit. If not and you keep up on your rifles with oil and a close eye, a stainless rifle uncoated should serve you well.

These are my opinions from coating countless rifles and etc. YMMV

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Eddie,

Thanks for the info!

One of my other Cerakoted rifles went on a 3-week hunt in Tanzania a few years ago.The rainy season started about halfway through, with a 1-2 hour downpour each day. Then the sun would come out, the thermometer would rise to around 100, and everything except the big waterholes dried out quickly. Within a couple hours the Land Cruiser would be raising a dust cloud again.

Like the rifle in the photos above, that rifle has a walnut stock, with dark Cerakoting resembling matte blue. The PH I hunted with during that last week was a real know-it-all, and when he saw red dust on the barrel, he insisted it was rust. I said no, it was dust, since the barrel was rust-proof. He insisted I HAD to wipe the steel with oil to get rid of the rust. Instead I took a bottle of water and poured it on the barrel, whereupon the "rust" ran off with the water....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I Cerakote my atlatls but not my rifles.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I Cerakote my atlatls but not my rifles.

Laughing here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,304
Posts18,449,089
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.