Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A friend is a left eye, rightie guy shooting right handed rifles from the left. After showing him why that is a bad idea he has decided he needs a leftie rifle. But not a simple thing...

He wants an upscale sort of rifle with a wood stock. He is not worried about SS or CroMo. He wants it in 338WM. Despite a bum shoulder.

What is available, and where would it be found? Happy to not have this issue personally! 1,500 is about where he would like to go on the high end. He might do more if required.
Thanks

Why is it a bad idea for a lefty to shoot a right hand rifle?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Because if you shoot a rifle from the left shoulder a right handed rifle ejection port is in line with your face if something bad happens.
Blown primer, gas, bits of metal. It can all come back and smack you in the face and eye

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Because if you shoot a rifle from the left shoulder a right handed rifle ejection port is in line with your face if something bad happens.
Blown primer, gas, bits of metal. It can all come back and smack you in the face and eye

Hmmmmm... maybe in 1954 or something.. far as gun blowing up I give chit what side your shooting on your going to get a face full of something.. I'm a lefty, and I'm not selling all my r/h model 70's to buy a bunch of Remington lefties

Last edited by 79S; 09/09/19.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 79S

Hmmmmm... maybe in 1954 or something.. far as gun blowing up I give chit what side your shooting on your going to get a face full of something.. I'm a lefty, and I'm not selling all my r/h model 70's to buy a bunch of Remington lefties

Or you just get Winchester lefties...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ammoman16
Originally Posted by 79S

Or you just get Winchester lefties...

Oh I have one of those as well..

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Took 3 Dr,s to save my right eye when a primer let go on a RH Tang Ruger in 6MM , your right side of the face is exposed to all the gas relief shooting a RH rifle LH. You can buy a lot of rifles for the cost of one eye, makes me cringe when I see a young person shooting a RH rifle LH. But its your face and eyes.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Took 3 Dr,s to save my right eye when a primer let go on a RH Tang Ruger in 6MM , your right side of the face is exposed to all the gas relief shooting a RH rifle LH. You can buy a lot of rifles for the cost of one eye, makes me cringe when I see a young person shooting a RH rifle LH. But its your face and eyes.

Not wearing shooting glasses?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kk alaska

I'm sorry to hear that KK. Were you wearing safety glasses?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Happened about 10 years ago was shooting my reloads then switched to factory ammo took glasses off for 1 shot and a piece of the primer came apart. Dont wear glasses while hunting but I do now.

You would think Bill Ruger being left handed with all of the safety warnings he put in on there rifles would have put something in writing about shooting a RH rifle LH.

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/10/19.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KK, that is exact reason I sold off almost all my righthanded stuff. If you are wearing contacts, the sun is not quite up yet, poor visibility, a guy could easily not be wearing shooting glasses. In that situation, I want a lefty port taking most of the stuff the opposite direction as designed.

Had a guy having issues with his Cooper once. Begged my son to shoot it for him. And first round fired had a primer blow and hit my son in the face. Righthanded rifle, shooting it lefty. Something to be avoided for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I've been pretty lucky all these years.....must've gone 46 years using right handed guns left handed.....sorry to hear of the misfortunes of others.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then again, one of my weaknesses has always been if I found a deal on a rifle that I felt was a seriously quality design and build......but only came in a right hand version......I couldn't stop myself from adding it to the stable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Early in my shooting ‘career’, I was behind a LH M70 when a case let go. My face and right arm were bleeding from many holes and cuts. The action as a whole held up well, but shed lots of small pieces. The extractor blew 50’ to the left and behind me.

I remember the feeling of being blasted by the gas and debris... and the shock at what had just happened. Thankfully, I’d recently resolved to use shooting glasses at the range and my eyes weren’t hurt at all. I truly believe I’d have been at least partially blinded that day, if not for the glasses. There were little bits of metal ‘growing out’ of my skin for months.

No fun at all. I’ve always wondered if it would have been worse behind a RH gun.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
410 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.