Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A friend is a left eye, rightie guy shooting right handed rifles from the left. After showing him why that is a bad idea he has decided he needs a leftie rifle. But not a simple thing...

He wants an upscale sort of rifle with a wood stock. He is not worried about SS or CroMo. He wants it in 338WM. Despite a bum shoulder.

What is available, and where would it be found? Happy to not have this issue personally! 1,500 is about where he would like to go on the high end. He might do more if required.
Thanks

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's a couple options. A little over the $1500 mark but not much.

Sako 338

Montana Rifle 338

Here's one under $1000

Browning 338

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I think Montana makes a 338 lefty.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sako's never go out of style. Plus you can occasionally hit the "wood lottery" as far as quality of the wood. I would also suspect the quality is higher than the Sako.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sako and MRC are in... cannot support an A-Bolt for here....

Thank you, especially for the auction links.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Sako's never go out of style. Plus you can occasionally hit the "wood lottery" as far as quality of the wood. I would also suspect the quality is higher than the Sako.

Have you seen a good one lately? I like the Sako idea quite a bit...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Those are some good choices. IMO a .338 deserves to be chambered in a CRF rifle. I'd add to the list a used model 70 if you can find one.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Bought two about 5 years ago, one for me one for the wife. The wood on mine was nice. The wife’s was easily AA+.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ammoman16
Those are some good choices. IMO a .338 deserves to be chambered in a CRF rifle. I'd add to the list a used model 70 if you can find one.

I have no problems with a model 70, but CRF is the least of my concerns. One in pretty wood would give me... a good out... wink

Kimbers are horrible garbage in my recent experiences and CRF does not save them from the title.

I have had quite a few big bears very close and all I had was one pushfeed 700 or another and survived the encounters. Have also used an old tanger 77 in 300WM while watching over people around big bears.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Bought two about 5 years ago, one for me one for the wife. The wood on mine was nice. The wife’s was easily AA+.

Looked around earlier today and found quite a few with a huge spread in wood quality in the same model.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
not a 338 wm but I have a nice, new 375 H&H Zastava with a nice piece of walnut for sale and it would go well with a 260 np. in the classifieds if he is interested.

The way life should be.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Another vote for the MRC ALR rifle. Nice wood. Good ergos. In his price range. Winchester scope bases. The fact that they tend to be at the upper end of their weight range will help mitigate the recoil.

MRC ALR

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Another vote for the MRC ALR rifle. Nice wood. Good ergos. In his price range. Winchester scope bases. The fact that they tend to be at the upper end of their weight range will help mitigate the recoil.

MRC ALR

Thank you, looks to be a good choice.
It is all about honoring the American West, so let's slap a piece of Turkish walnut on it!
wink

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bluefish
not a 338 wm but I have a nice, new 375 H&H Zastava with a nice piece of walnut for sale and it would go well with a 260 np. in the classifieds if he is interested.

375 is a bit much for what he needs, though I find recoil less brutal on 375s than 338s...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
After all these years of listening to wrong-handed folk complain about difficulties finding guns I have to admit it is a PITA.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
How about a 9,3x62?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a lefty owner of 8 bolt actions, only 2 of which are left handed, I'm a bit miffed by the original post.....bad idea?.....while I wont get rich in the process, I'm fairly confident my right handed rifles will sell quicker should the need arise.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Best option in my opinion is try and find a Ruger wood blue LH 338 RCM 20 " barrel 2600 FPS with 225 Gr bullet. Been discontinued around 5 years. Would be easier on friends shoulder. Have a LH Wood Blue and Wife has a SS Synthetic both in 338 RCM.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by SCgman1
As a lefty owner of 8 bolt actions, only 2 of which are left handed, I'm a bit miffed by the original post.....bad idea?.....while I wont get rich in the process, I'm fairly confident my right handed rifles will sell quicker should the need arise.

I'm really struggling to see why you would be "miffed". On many rifles you don't get the benefit of all the safety features if you don't shoot it as designed. Also, I bet many of my left handed rifles would sell faster than your right handed ones. There might be more buyers for right handed guns, but the supply is much more limited on the left handed ones. The key is to buy guns that are more desirable in the first place. I'd be willing to bet I could find buyers for most of my LH rifles within a day or 2.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Best option in my opinion is try and find a Ruger wood blue LH 338 RCM 20 " barrel 2600 FPS with 225 Gr bullet. Been discontinued around 5 years. Would be easier on friends shoulder. Have a LH Wood Blue and Wife has a SS Synthetic both in 338 RCM.

Forgot all about this rifle, even though I own both the 300 and 338 RCM's. Brass is not to difficult to find, Powder Valley has the 338 RCM brass and one style of ammo in stock as I type this. These rifles are really sweet handling woods rifles. Short barrel, iron sights standard, a slightly shorter LOP.

Purchased both of mine new for about $500 each. Am sure your friend can find a 338 online and I bet there are still a bunch on dealers shelfs NIB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.