Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Actually it was common practice to cure it in salt water. The Japanese later claimed it as a national treasure and would not export it any longer. I have a Peterson rollover stock in it that is over 50 years old and it is still as good as the day I fitted and finished it. Outstanding figure and color in it plus it is as stable as the day it was done.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by coyote268
Actually it was common practice to cure it in salt water. The Japanese later claimed it as a national treasure and would not export it any longer. I have a Peterson rollover stock in it that is over 50 years old and it is still as good as the day I fitted and finished it. Outstanding figure and color in it plus it is as stable as the day it was done.

Saltwater would eliminate its use in stocks... as Browning discovered too late.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My son recently purchased a stock from Richards. It was very expensive wood, and inlet, cost him somewhere upwards of $500, quite a bit more actually with shipping, and it was terrible.
The pistol grip was cracked, the inlet was way to far forward, resulting in the action being in completely the wrong place. The wood was not very decent either, with several flaws.
He immediately called them back and complained about the work, the wood, and the cost. They told him because it was a custom job he could go pound sand.

I have used Richards a bit in the past, but would never recommend them in the future, will never do business with them again. They are total crap in my mind from this point forward.
While my experience in the past was alright, this was beyond measure. The stock is completely worthless in my book. Cant fix an inlet that is over an inch too far forward. Pathetic work, terrible customer service, unbelievably bad.
I would build a stock out of an old fence post before I would ever do business with Richards again.
re

Beware the man with one gun, for he likely knows how to use it...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Wood on the ones that I received were good, but it appears that a beaver had a go at it before shipped. Inletting was about 20%.

A drunk beaver at that.

I got one and moved it. Sold it to another party who was OK with it. I wasn't.

They have great wood, a good selection of shapes and styles.

If one could combine that with Boyd quality inletting, you'd have something. Until that happens, no more "microfit" for me. They need to research what "microfit" means or implies. What they have is a gross misuse of that term...

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got one on order...Winter project, hopefully the inletting isn't too bad...I ordered the Classic #102 for my 1930 1903 Springfield...

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by eric1186
I've got one on order...Winter project, hopefully the inletting isn't too bad...I ordered the Classic #102 for my 1930 1903 Springfield...

Eric, which winter?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Eric, which winter?

laugh

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Eric, which winter?

laugh

DF

Ordered one from them the end of August, still waiting.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wish you the best.

One I ordered for a Mauser had the bottom metal inlet way too long for the bottom metal.

It's easier to remove wood than put it back. And, who wants a patch job on a nice rifle. I sold it to a guy who was OK with it as it was.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read somewhere that they guy who bought all the Fajen patterns and machinery was opening shop again and is going to be making stocks to order. Anyone else hear this and know the contact information? If it were me, this is the route I would consider but since this is a new enterprise it may be wise to check references first.....

I used Fajen a bit when I first started playing with customizing some of my guns and my 'smith used them a lot back then and we always had excellent results from them. They also had a lot of rare patterns you couldn't get anywhere else....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sheister
I read somewhere that they guy who bought all the Fajen patterns and machinery was opening shop again and is going to be making stocks to order. Anyone else hear this and know the contact information? If it were me, this is the route I would consider but since this is a new enterprise it may be wise to check references first.....

I used Fajen a bit when I first started playing with customizing some of my guns and my 'smith used them a lot back then and we always had excellent results from them. They also had a lot of rare patterns you couldn't get anywhere else....

Bob

Wish him the best.

I miss Fajen...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the guys who worked for Fajen when they closed their doors are now running Wenig- if it is still in business.... However, from what I understand the owner of Fajen kept the patterns and tools until recently... Wenig is also a good option, but their prices aren't cheap and I've heard conflicting stories about their service?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think the guys who worked for Fajen when they closed their doors are now running Wenig- if it is still in business.... However, from what I understand the owner of Fajen kept the patterns and tools until recently... Wenig is also a good option, but their prices aren't cheap and I've heard conflicting stories about their service?

Wenig, from what I can tell, is more of a custom or semi-custom operation, not a mass production facility like Fajen was. They are therefore more expensive, but do have a nice selection of wood and shapes.

I've never bought from them, was a regular Fajen customer back in the day.

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I read somewhere that they guy who bought all the Fajen patterns and machinery was opening shop again and is going to be making stocks to order. Anyone else hear this and know the contact information? Bob

Came across this on another forum: https://manitoucustomguns.com/

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steven60
I read somewhere that they guy who bought all the Fajen patterns and machinery was opening shop again and is going to be making stocks to order. Anyone else hear this and know the contact information? Bob

Came across this on another forum: https://manitoucustomguns.com/

So, that's where Fajen's equipment ended up, moved north from MO to MI...

Good to know.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Eric, which winter?

Well...I may be a fool, but I was hoping this winter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jump starting this...

I'm looking for a cheap stock to bolt a Kimber Swedish Mauser into, you may remember Kimber bought up a bunch of old M96 Swedes in the 1990's, either turned the original barrels for the 6.5x55 offering or barrelled them for the rest of the .308.

The gun shoots well but the Tupperware stock sucks big time. I was thinking of a grey wood laminate, Richards has them 99% fit for about $150 with a pad installed. Is their inletting any better on these finished stocks then what you all have been complaining about with the custom inlets?

Eric, ever get your stock?

thanks,

Rob

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wood on the ones that I received were good, but it appears that a beaver had a go at it before shipped. Inletting was about 20%.

Buying one of their stocks was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. Your statement about them is being too kind Sir.

Last edited by model70man; 04/11/20.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RecoilRob
Jump starting this...

I'm looking for a cheap stock to bolt a Kimber Swedish Mauser into, you may remember Kimber bought up a bunch of old M96 Swedes in the 1990's, either turned the original barrels for the 6.5x55 offering or barrelled them for the rest of the .308.

The gun shoots well but the Tupperware stock sucks big time. I was thinking of a grey wood laminate, Richards has them 99% fit for about $150 with a pad installed. Is their inletting any better on these finished stocks then what you all have been complaining about with the custom inlets?

Eric, ever get your stock?

thanks,

Rob

I think Eric and I ordered the same time (+/-) late July early August. I got mine in mid December and am just finishing it up. I was not disappointed with the wood or the inletting. But, as we well know, RMFs are not drop ins.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never got the stock...Credit card not charged FWIW

A member here sold me a nice stock that suits me just fine.

Last edited by eric1186; 04/11/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

397 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,227
Posts18,447,699
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.