Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
^^^^ and they killed deer every year.

Lots of them

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Haven't read the whole thread but I used to live there - called rural Pennsylvania. If you could hit a paper plate at 100 yards every time you qualified as marksman.

To qualify for that one, you had to first win the Regionals, which consisted of hitting a coke or beer can at 50 yards. It had to be done with factory ammo of which you could not use two sequential boxes of the same brand or bullet weight, much less lot number. Who knew what the hell what a lot number was, anyway, other than where your single-wide was parked.

You absolutely could not fiddle with the sights. If you said you had peeps, people would close their curtains, well, except Billy-bob's wife..

When shooting with your hunting buddy, the first to declare "well, She's ready!" cinched a berth at the next round..That's how we did it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll tell this on myself. For years, my only deer rifle was a Marlin 336 30-30. I always worked and inevitably opening day of deer season would roll around and I hadn't shot my rifle to see if the scope was 'still on'. I'd wind up driving over in the pasture, after dark, and tack a piece of paper on a dead tree. Back up about 25 yds and using the truck head lights to see by, 'sight-in' my scope. When I hit a nickle size circle the first time, it was 'good to go'. I killed a lot of deer, with the rifle 'sighted-in' that way, but very few of the shots were over 50 yds.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
My T/C Hawken (.50 cal) is very accurate with both RBs and 385 grain conicals.
Never shot mine with conicals but it is very accurate with patched balls.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
tch
Originally Posted by las

I also have a 6MOA .45 Seneca.... Cannot convince me 1:45 is a good rate of twist for either ball or Minnie, much less both. dumasses should have gone high or low, or both high and low, shooter's choice. I'd have bought both. In fact, TC should have sold it in swap-barrel form.

What I really want is a Renegade in .54..... an accurate one. but I'll never buy TC BP again.

If I was really hot to trot ML, I'd get a proper twist barrel or conicals and modify the Hawkin, but since there is no advantage (read reasonable access to ML season), I won't.

Fun to shoot, even if it won't hit anything..... smile
T/C actually used a 1 in 48" twist. With the right thickness patch combined with the right diameter ball and the right powder charge they are very accutate. Mine will cloverleaf at 75 yards with a .490" ball combined with a .015" patch and 75 grs. of Goex fffg.. Like any rifle, sometimes they need a little tweaking to do their best, which is why the rear tang and full length of the barrel channel is acraglassed on mine.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Never shot mine with conicals but it is very accurate with patched balls.

Right now mine has a .32 caliber Green Mountain barrel on it. Twenty grains of powder and all that steel in the barrel, no recoil at all and deadly accurate. Too bad the only squirrels worth hunting here are the non-native fox squirrels, not many place to hunt those, they're mostly city dwellers.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
T/C actually used a 1 in 48" twist.

My bad. I knew that. Brain fart.

Yes, I did accraglas mine also. And have tried all kinds of variations on patch/ball/powder charge, as well as at least a half-dozen of the conicals made by various folks, in different weights. Including sabots. Haven't played with the Seneca as much.

I loaned it to my CO brother 20 years or so ago- he's managed to kill a couple deer with it, all of them under 50yards. It's good enough for that.

Now that I'm retard, I should get it back, buy a barrel of powder, write up a list to go through, and play with it some more, less randomly. smile

Last edited by las; 09/07/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Robert Hoyt
Fairfield Pa.

He will make your hole bigger, and twist it, right.
Probably for balls.

If it's in Co, shipping wouldn't be so bad.

Only know of his rep. never had work done,

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 86 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.