Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Was in my LGS today. He had a near new Kahr in .40 S&W with the 4 inch barrel and the polymer frame. Near new condition. ASKING price was $150.00 and based on prior experience he’d sell it for around $130.00. Have these pistols
Really fallen so far in market value? If so, why? They seem reasonably well made and the trigger on mine has a lot of travel, but it’s crisp enough on the discharge. Have the double stack pocket pistols and the 9mm really hammered the utility of a pistol like this down that far?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cw40?

.40 is not popular now. I was talking to a guy at LGS. He said they haven’t laced any order for a .40 pistol in a while.

I’ve got 3 cw9’s. A cm9. And an unfired cw45.

Long trigger pull turns people off. I kinda like it.

Plus a kahr takes about 200 rounds to break in.

I shoot everything in my cw9 that i shoot regularly. Brass. Steel. Aluminum. All works.

I’d buy it for $130. Prolly 2.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had steel and plastic Khars in 9mm and .45 ACP, no problems with any of them and a CW45 is my main carry gun now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ohhh, the CW45 I bought NIB for $308.00, dealer said it had sat around too long.

Found out when I got home that 1911 mags fit it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I got my P9 when they first appeared on the market back in the late 1990s. Never a jam or malfunction of any kind, even after two small part breakages.

PS Both small parts breakages occurred only after the 4000 round mark, and were made of plastic. The replacement parts sent to me by Kahr were both steel, so they realized the design flaw and fixed it, likely shortly after it was introduced.

PPS That doesn't mean they cannot produce lemons, so you never know if the one that you're referring to is one.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Simply a reflection of the caliber (40 S&W) not the quality of the pistol. Kahr pistols are top notch.
Time marchs on and the 10mm short has been kicked to the curb.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's stealing. I'd buy it, and I don't even like .40 cal.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Me too... if you don't like it you can sell it.. go get it

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you ever shoot any five gallon water jugs full of water with various calibers, you will love the calibers starting with a 4!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Simply a reflection of the caliber (40 S&W) not the quality of the pistol. Kahr pistols are top notch.
Time marchs on and the 10mm short has been kicked to the curb.

This exactly. For $130 or $150 it is a steal.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Ditto. I'd tolerate the 40 just to have a 4" Kahr at that price.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no need or desire for a 40 S&W, But I'd buy one for $130 in a heartbeat. Almost cannot believe that is not a typo on your post!

I had a CM9, CW9 & CW45, and now have a TP45. They were all fine... I should have never 'moved' the CM9, as it is a perfect pocket pistol.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I owned one and it was worst performing pistol I've ever had... Wouldn't bother with another especially when there's great options out there like a Glock.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The only kahrs with good resale value are the pm9 amd pm40, etc.

That said 40 cals dont bring squat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I owned one and it was worst performing pistol I've ever had... Wouldn't bother with another especially when there's great options out there like a Glock.

Yeah, when introduced in all steel, they were the only gun in that niche, a single stack 9mm about the size of a Walther PP. Then, once again, they were the only single stack 9mm polymer on the market, also that size, when the P9 came out. Since then we've had the Ruger LC9S Pro, and all sorts of others from Walther, Springfield, etc., and now Glock. So, yeah, they're not special anymore, and probably not near the best in the field. But they are still solid guns in that category, and if you don't have one, and you find one that's in good shape for less than $200.00, if yours is reliable, and you learn the trigger, it might just serve you well.

PS What was the problem with yours. I've heard that some were lemons. Mine has always been 100% reliable, and I like the trigger pull on it. Never noticed any accuracy problem with it. Only thing wrong was that the first series of their P9 had some small parts that were plastic, and wore out prematurely. They quickly changed those parts to steel, after they noticed so many failures early on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just imagine how cheap dealers can buy 40 S&W pistols at present.
For the seller; it comes down to "paper ballistics" versus the wisdom of his role model.

Last edited by night_owl; 09/08/19.

abusus non tollit usum
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For $130 you could just buy a small lock box that has a security cable and put it under the seat of your car just so you'll always have something....

I tried a CW9 first and liked it so much when it was time for a compact .380 bought the P380 after trying all the others that were available ...about 5 of my friends have bought them since...no lemons... It's a lot smaller than a G42 or 43...

Earlier this year I was wanting a small 9mm bigger than the P380 but smaller than the Colt Commander I usually carry. Read a couple articles on the CM9 and found one cheap on line...just a great gun.

As much as I like my G19 I much prefer my small gun not be the striker fired SafeAction type as I would never carry any of them without either a holster or a snapover triggerguard. With the Kahr I can just drop the gun in a pocket or IWB with no holster and not have any more worry than a DA revolver....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I first got my CW45 it was a jam-o-matic! Sent it in and Kahr replaced the polymer frame. It's been flawless since then and I've shot it enough now that I trust it and it's my CCW. Even in 40 S&W, I'd buy it for under $150!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Kahrs are good pistols.. I still have three.. But none are in .40 S&W.. If you're OK with the .40 round, then the price is right for sure..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm no huge fan of the .40 S&W, even though I have a nice police-trade-in Glock 22 (mainly just for the low price), but I'm truly amazed at the rate at which it fell from the status of the darling of police forces and serious concealed carriers to a dog that you can't get a decent price for. I guess the flooding of the market with police trade ins was the main driving force behind this phenomenon. It created the general impression that it's something people are trying to get rid of, and nobody wants a gun that everybody is trying to get rid of. It sort of feeds on itself, like a run on the banks or a stock market crash.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, the worst thing about the .40s&w is what it did to the life of the 10mm. I never saw a need for the .40, but the 10mm is a definite step up. That's all history now, and if forties are going cheap, so much the better for anyone needing an affordable and effective handgun.

As for the Kahr.....I'm still packing the old K9 much of the time. Always reliable and accurate. Simple operation, with still one of the finest DAO (yeah, I know) triggers available. I'd jump on that $150 Kahr, just to have another stashed somewhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate the triggers on kahr pistols.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a CW40 for a couple of years, it was the gun I carried when my XD Service was too big. It was reliable and accurate for a small pistol in that cartridge. I traded it for something else after surgery on my thumb made shooting that gun rather painful. I should have kept it until I was fully recovered. I eventually ended up with a CW9 as a replacement.

I bought it used for slightly more than the OP mentions. I wouldn't hesitate to get another at that price.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I hate the triggers on kahr pistols.

Not me. They remind me a good K-Frame double action trigger, which was what I cut my teeth on in the early 1980s, so transitioning to the Kahr P9 was easy for me.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a CW9. It's been 100% and I carry it a fair amount.

Gotta say, I'm not in love with the trigger. The long stroke is great, no problem with that, it's smooth as butter.

The part I'm not in love with is the crazy amount of 'rocking' motion of the trigger during the stroke. It's as if the trigger pin should be higher up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I had that opportunity...I’d jump on it! We’ve got a few 40’s lying around.....a 40 “pocket pistol” would be a nice addition. We have two of them, in 9’s (I love’m - wife hates’m). They are not our primary “carry gun”....but a good shooting, reliable “back-up”! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/09/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
As others have said, .40 isn't as popular as 9 and it is less fun to shoot in lightweight guns.

Here in East Tennessee about half the dealers don't carry new Kahrs.
They've told me there's not much name recognition.
So, used ones aren't worth much if you want to trade, and show up for a decent price when sold as used.

Be aware: Kahr guns have a 5 year warranty that only applies to the original purchaser.
So buying a used gun could be a crap shoot.
I like Kahrs, just wish the warranty was better.

I've had 3 9mm guns and just bought a CW380.
The other guns never even needed the 200 round break in period, but the .380 did.
It's almost like at round 210 it started running fine.

Last edited by mini14jac; 09/09/19.

<><
HE>i
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mini14jac

Be aware: Kahr guns have a 5 year warranty that only applies to the original purchaser..
Incorrect... They have a 'limited lifetime warranty'.. See info on this link:

https://www.kahr.com/t-series-k-series-and-p-series-premium-series-handguns/

Plus, I had a slide guide fail on my P-9 several years ago.. I had owned this pistol for at least ten years. I called them up, they sent a prepaid shipping label, replaced the frame and shipped it back, FREE...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Kahr has tremendous customer service. I bought tritium sights from them for a P380 pistol 2 1/2 years ago. I had a local gunsmith fit the sights and he screwed up royally and managed to break the front sight(tritium insert) I was in a rush and didn't notice it until I got home. I no longer use that worthless gunsmith . I called Kahr and sent the pistol to them to get the front sight installed. They installed a new front sight and didn't charge nada,zip , zero.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by mini14jac

Be aware: Kahr guns have a 5 year warranty that only applies to the original purchaser..
Incorrect... They have a 'limited lifetime warranty'.. See info on this link:

https://www.kahr.com/t-series-k-series-and-p-series-premium-series-handguns/

Plus, I had a slide guide fail on my P-9 several years ago.. I had owned this pistol for at least ten years. I called them up, they sent a prepaid shipping label, replaced the frame and shipped it back, FREE...

+1 I bought my P380 used and they sure took care of me.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Few thoughts:
1. Regarding the low price, we’ve seen a dramatic gap opening between company’s “standard” pistol line and their “budget” line. Items like the Creed by Walther and the Shield by S&W are other examples of budget guns by respected makers. But $130 is REALLY cheap. That’s like High Point level of cheapness. That would concern me.
2. I do not consider Kahr to be on the same level as Sig, Walther, Smith, Glock, HK, etc. My experience with Kahr guns has NOT been positive. Didn’t like the triggers, the stiffness of the slide, the accuracy (or lack thereof), and the ergonomics. I’m an experienced pistol shooter, and the Kahr has been the hardest for me to shoot well of any guns I’ve owned.
3. I haven’t bought one in years, so maybe I’m behind the times. Maybe they’re better now?
4. At least they’re 100% American made, which is always good.

God bless America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JackstrawIII
Few thoughts:
1.But $130 is REALLY cheap. That’s like High Point level of cheapness. That would concern me.
2. I do not consider Kahr to be on the same level as Sig, Walther, Smith, Glock, HK, etc. My experience with Kahr guns has NOT been positive. Didn’t like the triggers, the stiffness of the slide, the accuracy (or lack thereof), and the ergonomics. I’m an experienced pistol shooter, and the Kahr has been the hardest for me to shoot well of any guns I’ve owned.
3. I haven’t bought one in years, so maybe I’m behind the times. Maybe they’re better now?
4. At least they’re 100% American made, which is always good.

1.) You couldn't pay me $130 to take a High-Point. Even white trash can be snobs!

2.) Kahr, as I recall had issues with their early polymer pistols. Apparenty they ironed this out before I got my first one a CW9 (used) about 8 or 9 years ago (or I was lucky?). As far as accuracy goes... I have found Kahr pistols to be extremely accurate. The difference may be I pretty much 'Mastered' (used rather loosely) double-action revolver shooting, a Kahr trigger is better than my smoothest double action pistol.

YMMV,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The only thing I know about Kahr arms is they are gun people. Not a fly by night outfit. They even bought Magnum Research and nothing has changed. Kahr does not build guns per say. they just use the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
The only thing I know about Kahr arms is they are gun people. Not a fly by night outfit. They even bought Magnum Research and nothing has changed. Kahr does not build guns per say. they just use the best.

What the heck are you talking about? They started by building guns no one else was building, and doing it well - and they still build those same guns. That's exactly what financed the acquisition of other small (failing) gun companies.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
yes they did and MR was not failing. You say they build but who, Do they have factories? Or do they own companies that produce? Sorry it is a holding corporation. You can stamp a name on any gun like Sears did with Marlin, Mossberg and Savage. I do not know of any Kahr Arms factory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes they did and MR was not failing. You say they build but who, Do they have factories? Or do they own companies that produce? Sorry it is a holding corporation. You can stamp a name on any gun like Sears did with Marlin, Mossberg and Savage. I do not know of any Kahr Arms factory.

A business that isn't thriving is failing, by my measure. Might be failing in slow motion, but that's just details. Neither Magnum Research nor Auto Ordinance corporation were holding much of a share of the market. If they were thriving, they wouldn't have been looking for a buyer...

https://www.kahr.com/about/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahr_Arms

Now you know, if you bother to look.

MR may have been producing some quality firearms at the time of purchase (Desert Eagle not included, IMO), but by most accounts AO was not so much. Also by most accounts, AO quality has improved under Kahr ownership. Whether or not you consider that as evidence of Kahr manufacture, it still implies control of production - which is all that matters. If quality has improved, I'd lay odds that at least some leadership was replaced, if not more.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Yeah, I would of hurt myself trying to get my wallet out for a deal like that. Wouldn't of bothered me a bit to of had to buy a couple of cases of .40 ammo for a $130 Kahr .

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by FreeMe

A business that isn't thriving is failing, by my measure. Might be failing in slow motion, but that's just details. Neither Magnum Research nor Auto Ordinance corporation were holding much of a share of the market. If they were thriving, they wouldn't have been looking for a buyer...

MR may have been producing some quality firearms at the time of purchase (Desert Eagle not included, IMO), but by most accounts AO was not so much. Also by most accounts, AO quality has improved under Kahr ownership. Whether or not you consider that as evidence of Kahr manufacture, it still implies control of production - which is all that matters. If quality has improved, I'd lay odds that at least some leadership was replaced, if not more.

Quality has not improved since no other revolvers could even approach a BFR. What I like is Kahr has not reduced the quality and I think many employees are still there. A takeover is from the top when an offer is too good to pass up for the CEO's massive payment. The BFR is the premier revolver ever produced. Castings and hand shakes from Ruger The BFR is just a huge Ruger fit better with twist rates that work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Quality has not improved since no other revolvers could even approach a BFR. What I like is Kahr has not reduced the quality and I think many employees are still there. A takeover is from the top when an offer is too good to pass up for the CEO's massive payment. The BFR is the premier revolver ever produced. Castings and hand shakes from Ruger The BFR is just a huge Ruger fit better with twist rates that work.

I'll take your word for the BFR's quality. Companies have value based on assets and market. That doesn't always reflect the quality of the product. If the great quality has remained great, that implies that the new owner has made good decisions, assuming quality drives its profitability. So, while Kahr may not have built that factory or even staffed it initially, Kahr is responsible for its continued success. Therefore, it is a "Kahr product" in reality.....regardless of how that makes you feel.

The antithesis to that might be the Remington/Marlin story...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by keith
If you ever shoot any five gallon water jugs full of water with various calibers, you will love the calibers starting with a 4!!!

If I'm ever attacked by a jug full of water I'll keep that in mind.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 652 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.