Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I have graduated from so-called chunk light all the way to solid albacore.... Still fairly cheap, low carb, quick grub. Add some mayo and whole grain bread and it's lunch. Add rice, dinner.

I think the albacore has the higher mercury content, MB

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

budget never changes on food......

always good chow here........

watch for sales......freeze/store it.......

two big azz Ribeyes in fridge for tonight......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
When I was in college I worked in housekeeping at a ski resort. On “checkout day” I’d go through the units and inventory everything, then start cleaning. Folks would leave all kinds of stuff behind. Found a 1/2 eaten casserole one day in the fridge and figure that if they were rich enough to stay there they were probably decent people.....popped that thing in the oven and chowed down.

I waited tables at Steak and Ale in college for the left overs and free baked potatoes. I figured if a chick was clean and good looking I could eat her meat (left on her plate).

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
I could live on rice and beans but the old lady isn't a big fan. She grew up in Ireland eating poor people food so she cooks a lot of cheap dishes consisting of cabbage and potatoes. I'm not picky.

My wife grew up dirt poor.
She is kind and gracious even when times have been bumpy.
We love boiled cabbage and potatoes.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Never got that tight, that it changed my eating habits. Pay yourself first.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In college, bought 3 loaves of bread for a buck.

5 boxes mac & cheese for a buck. Can't remember what ramen noodles cost but they were cheap too.

Big jug of spaghetti sauce.

Government cheese my buddy got. We made a lot of little pizzas with the bread, cheese and sauce.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Never got that tight, that it changed my eating habits. Pay yourself first.

Pretty hard to pay yourself when the till is empty.

Montana MOFO
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just bought a 12 pack of ramen noodles the other day for $1.60 at Walmart.

That's cheap food, I don't care who you are.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't get there often as the nearest is now 3+ hours away, but if I lived where they had one I could get to every day Costco has a big slice of pizza, get the combo slice, for $2.14. Ask for a cup for water, two packs of Parm, and pack of hot peppers. Lunch, could be lunch and dinner if one was really strapped for cash.

Boiled cabbage, a few carrots, and some taters, maybe some greens especially the free ones in the fields and that can be pretty decent cheap food for sure. The more water, you have in it the more it stretches.

Friend in college used to go to the Safeway store at 5 PM, $1 loaves of French bread hot out of the oven. He'd get two and some milk, one for dinner, the other for breakfast. He was one of the guys with crab rings, so we ate french bread and crab a few times too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I have graduated from so-called chunk light all the way to solid albacore.... Still fairly cheap, low carb, quick grub. Add some mayo and whole grain bread and it's lunch. Add rice, dinner.

I think the albacore has the higher mercury content, MB

It'll keep my thermometer stiff...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
When we were kids, money was tight.

I had a younger brother and remember having to make cereal for him so my mom could sleep in in the morning on Saturday.

I got up before my younger brother and there was only enough cereal for one bowl. So I ate it...

Of course my brother gets up and asks me to make his cereal. I told him we were out... He started squalling, and I knew mom wouldn't be happy at the intrusion, so I said sit down, you can try the "new" cereal.

A few minutes later mom got up and came into the kitchen where my young brother was eating Friskies cat food with lots of sugar and milk.... laugh

She beat my ass,... Then had my dad beat me ass again when he got home from work. blush

ROFL grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by benchman
I cruise the meat counters for marked down meat, and eat less. Don't eat junk food, drink pop, chips, desserts etc. My only food related weakness is too much beer. If I have to stretch stuff out more, it's stews and homemade soup.

Same boat. I eat really healthy which means lots of salads and meat. And then there is beer...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I remember mom telling dad that with these three growing boys that she was going to have to start frying 2 chickens instead of one. Dad said no, make a few more biscuits & stretch the gravy. I learned young about the tasty little hidden morsels of meat on chicken parts that are often thrown out, or that marrow is good.

After my divorce, I lived on venison, fresh fish, & other assorted wild game for about 6 months to get a couple bills cleaned up. Luxuries were a big bottle of gator aid & a six pack of Old Milwaukee per week.

Now days, cost aside I still love country food, wild game, soul food etc., foods that some call cheap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife says I could live off whatever I could find in a ditch.
I have always eat good no matter the money. Its not hard when you're not picky. Evil wife #2 put me on beans and rice for a while but you can add anything to that and make a great meal.
Good thread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Peanut butter on saltines. Creamed tuna on toast. Hot dogs and beans.

Damn, I'm getting teary eyed remembering how Mom used to stretch the budget.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pinto beans, of course.

X
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
X
Tag

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Pinto beans, of course.

next great thread: How many bean recipes do you have? Best way to cook beans? Best dishes with beans?

My wife does not like beans so they are a treat to me now. She is just beginning to catch on why I encourage her to go visit family and spend the day with her friends.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Pinto beans, of course.

Had a college professor attempt to describe his 'hardships' of pursuing his PhD to us in class.

He claimed he existed on pinto beans and tube steak.

Obviously the rumors were confirmed.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've discussed my wife's cabbage rolls before. It takes a bit of time to prepare them but they're fairly cheap food. The ground beef costs a bit and if you want sour cream on them you have to pay a bit for that, also. But cabbage and rice make up the bulk of the meal,...and they're good stuff!

I could eat them every day.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.