Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Located at Cabelas in Boise. LH Win M70, wood/blue, 270Win, G series serial number(if that matters), tag says unfired, no scope. Did not handle but looked good from what I could see. Price was $799.
Steve

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went by to see it and there's good and not so good. This is an LT model with the black recoil pad and rounder stock profile, made sometime after 2004.

The good is that the metal finish looks 100%. Exterior seems perfect and there is very little wear on the left feed rail. Can't prove it's unfired as the tag says but the bore is clean and the bolt sure hasn't been worked much at all. Comes with two piece STD bases, the windage adjustable kind, make unknown. They're quality made and look like Leupold but don't hold me to that.

The not so good is that it looks like someone tried to Bubba the LOP and didn't tape off the stock where they sawed it with a too coarse saw. My semi-educated guess would be a LOP of about 13 1/8" or so, not too short but not the original factory length for sure. The back of the stock where it joins the pad is a bit rough and there is a small, shallow chip on the right side at the pad, maybe 3/8" wide by 3/8" long. There is a gap of about 1/16" or so between the pad and the wood at the toe. Only other marks on the wood are some small compression dings on the right side about the middle of the action, everywhere else the stock looks good.

But it is for sale at $799.99. These LH .270's were selling for near twice that before Trump was elected.

If you want to call the Boise Gun Library their direct number is 208-672-7922. They charge $25 to ship it to a Cabela's near you. I don't know if they ship to your local FFL holder, didn't think to ask.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the expert evaluation, Jim. I know that you have owned at least several of these rifles so your opinion really counts. I did notice the wood was really plain so the bubba'd stock might not mean that much. Drop it in McMillan or locate a nicer wood stock and it wouldn't be a bad way to a nice LH M70.
I just don't have any gaps that this would fill or I would have looked a little closer. I did notice the Rem 700 LH heavy barrel .223 with a LEUPOLD 4x12 AO for a reasonable price-I could fill a gap with that.
Thanks,
Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what I was thinking. It can certainly be used as is but that price leaves a lot of wiggle room to get a new stock, whether a factory replacement or McMillan or whatever. Sometime early last year when I was looking you could get a new factory stock on ebay for somewhere in the mid-$200 range. In any case, the barreled action is still a like new LH Model 70 in .270, you don't see those come around every day.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks a bunch Steve and Jim, it's on its way to me. grin It took a couple people to locate it, the first guy seemed confused that I knew they had one when it didn't show up on their web page.

Last edited by tmitch; 09/08/19.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nice snag. Let me know if you need a new stock. I have three factory, one ultra grade and a legend blank on my bench with no home.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Tmitch,
I had some time to kill today in Boise and Cabela's is close by so I went back today for another look. This time I took it out of the rack and looked more closely. Jim's assessment is spot on. I did not work the action but did not see a single flaw in the metalwork. The flaws in the stock are there just as described. I do think the stock is salvageable by having a 1 inch pad professionally installed (end of stock re-cut just enough to square everything). It won't be original of course, but usable.
Funny thing happened while in the Gun Library. After looking at the M70, I walked over to look at some guns in another cabinet, came back in just a few minutes and the M70 was gone. Kinda scratched my head wondering how I missed it's departure. About then a salesman walked by and I asked him if they just sold it and he said "sorta, we're packing it up to ship to another store". I replied "You're welcome".
I think you will be more than happy with your purchase.
Good luck,
Steve

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got a couple spares too................ unfortunately they're for 2-piece bottom metal. PM me what you'd want for one of your factory stocks. Once it reaches my local Cabelas I'll know whether I can live with it or want to replace.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad it worked out for you!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well I've been holding out for a .270 Stainless Classic to cap off my "collection" of LH M70s for several years with no luck. This one will fill that gap until or IF one ever finds its way to me. Thanks to the enablers on this site (I include myself in that group) it'll probably happen one of these days! laugh

Charter Member

szihn

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by tmitch
Well I've been holding out for a .270 Stainless Classic to cap off my "collection" of LH M70s for several years with no luck. This one will fill that gap until or IF one ever finds its way to me. Thanks to the enablers on this site (I include myself in that group) it'll probably happen one of these days! laugh

I hear you there. I've been looking for one for some time. I'd like to find a SS Classic .270 and .338 to round out my collection. Currently have them in .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by ammoman16

I hear you there. I've been looking for one for some time. I'd like to find a SS Classic .270 and .338 to round out my collection. Currently have them in .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag.

I’d like a SS in 30-06. I have a 300 Win Mag that I may rebarrel. Just need to decide on a cartridge.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked up the M70 from Cabelas this afternoon and it's exactly how Steve and Jim described it. The joint between the pad and stock is rough with several small chips and the larger one Jim noted. LOP is 13 5/8". The stock is the dark stained, black pad LT style which kinda confuses me. It's a six digit gun (G371*** which makes it a 2002 manufacture I think) and it has 2 piece bottom metal. I thought the LT guns had 1 piece bottom metal?

Charter Member

szihn

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nope, none of my LTs had 1-piece bottom metal until I replaced the 2-piece units with Williams 1-piece.

Leftybolt

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just a heads up. After the New Year, I plan on thinning the herd a bit. I have several models and calibers in both blued and stainless I plan to list. I have several you guys expressed interest in above.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by scottf270
Just a heads up. After the New Year, I plan on thinning the herd a bit. I have several models and calibers in both blued and stainless I plan to list. I have several you guys expressed interest in above.

Hopefully I’ll have some spending money leftover after the holidays.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottf270

keep us posted please.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.