Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just another opinion, but I'm not sure you will be able to find a commercial shroud. In the heyday of sporterizing '96 import Swedes, I probably did 20 or 25 for customers, mostly for youth rifles as the word spread in our area. Did four for my family as well, still have three. I never felt the need to go with cock-on-opening, nor a "safer" shroud. I did lighten the striker mass for faster lock time,installed a few Timneys and/or aftermarket Beuhler style safeties. Never had a gas blowback incident or heard of one. It can happen obviously, just depends on your risk tolerance. One of my '96's is a pure long range target rifle, shot in NRA competition for years handloads and factory. CBC, NnY, PPU but very little Norma due to cost. No gas events.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
Thanks for the help guys this all makes me very excited for deer season. Our gun season here in NC comes in early October. I’ll see if I can find someone to give it a look before then. I will shop the bolt shroud and trigger to see what I can come up with. Yeh I am a big fan of well done mannlicher stocks. Some might call me a sucker for em. Since I only paid $250 for this gun I certainly don’t mind spending some money to upgrade it.

Thanks again 260remguy and wa11

Replacing the bolt shroud is like buying insurance, in that you hope that you'll never need it, but it gives you peace of mind when you do have it.

Installing the Dayton- Traister cock-on-opening kit isn't necessary, but I prefer cock-on-opening to cock-on-closing, so I install them on my Sweds and on my Norwegian bachelor farmer friend's Sweds.

PPU sells an inexpensive 139 grain soft point that some 6.5x55 shooters seem to like.

Finding a Bold or Timney replacement trigger is easy, finding the bolt shroud maybe a little less so.

I would have bought that rifle for $250 without a second thought even though I already have 11 6.5x55s.

By any chance, do you some idea what the cock on opening kit costs?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here ya go. 59 $

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/cocking-parts/cocking-pieces-amp-shrouds/small-ring-mauser-cock-on-open-kit-prod5690.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=Mauser

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Just another opinion, but I'm not sure you will be able to find a commercial shroud. In the heyday of sporterizing '96 import Swedes, I probably did 20 or 25 for customers, mostly for youth rifles as the word spread in our area. Did four for my family as well, still have three. I never felt the need to go with cock-on-opening, nor a "safer" shroud. I did lighten the striker mass for faster lock time,installed a few Timneys and/or aftermarket Beuhler style safeties. Never had a gas blowback incident or heard of one. It can happen obviously, just depends on your risk tolerance. One of my '96's is a pure long range target rifle, shot in NRA competition for years handloads and factory. CBC, NnY, PPU but very little Norma due to cost. No gas events.

I can do most of my own metal work, so I'm not paying a 'smith to do the work which might deter others from doing the same.

Installing any of the 3 after-market parts that I use and recommend isn't necessary, but I'm a tinkerer and feel moved to make improvement where I see flaws/weaknesses.

I prefer cock-on-opening and assume that most people do, since it has been the standard for bolt action rifles that aren't Enfield designs since 1898.

I believe that the most important safety change in the 1898 style Mausers was the larger gas shield. Since I'm going to replace the original triggers on my modified Swedish SR Mausers, including the SR commercial Husqvarna 640s, there isn't any reason not to replace the gas shield and reap the benefit of improved safety and peace of mind. Blown primers and separated cases aren't all that common, but it only take one incident to cause serious physical damage. Peace of mind and cheap insurance, but I'm risk averse whenever taking risk is unnecessary and easily avoided.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

...and a commercial style bolt shroud...

You know the hook up? I just searched Brownells and MWUSA & nothing...

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
So the pursuit for the commercial bolt shroud has proved more difficult than I imagined. Will the large ring mauser bolt shroud work for my rifle? I have found plenty of those at Brownells.

There is no need for any of that. I have several sweeds and never had the need for any of the suggested mods. Ok, one exception, when sporterized, I did use a low profil safety to clear the scope. I geuss it is too late and some folks have you convinced. So be it.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, the large ring won't work.

No need, cept maybe that he wants one. Ain't nuthin wrong with that.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A question bringing this back up. I recently came into a GS in a 1917. Excellent steel I think. The old fellow when alive had sleeked up the stock nicely. All the numbers match, stock badge etc. the fellow appears to have put a new front site on, very well done. It's a 6.5x55.
Question is what does one do with it? I've never had a gun built from something like this. It has about a 19" barrel, from digging online I believe it is a carbine model. Only thought I had was a drilling it for a scout scope and using it for a truck gun even tho the straight grip area is uncomfortable.
I'd appreciate ideas.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 1894 carbines had 18" barrels, the 1896 rifles had long 29" barrels, and the M38s had 24" barrels.

Champion has discontinued what was previously the Ramline line of synthetic stocks, but you might find one of their small ring Mauser style stocks on eBay. Choate used to make a synthetic stock, but I didn't like them and didn't use them on my Swedish Mauser builds.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks Rem... I stand corrected I just re measured and the barrel is 18".
Thanks for the info it's been sitting in the gun room some months now and I'm just trying to figure out wether to do some sort of build or sell it.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If the thing is still in original military configuration, or could be put back that way, it's far too valuable to "sporterize". Those M94 Carbines are highly sought after. Not too different than taking an original G33/40 and making a sporter out of it these days. Those little carbines were/are one of the few milsurps that make a handy-dandy woods rifle just the way they are.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Osky
Thanks Rem... I stand corrected I just re measured and the barrel is 18".
Thanks for the info it's been sitting in the gun room some months now and I'm just trying to figure out wether to do some sort of build or sell it.

Osky

Putting together a nice sporterized Mauser often devolves into a money pit, so I'd recommend selling it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thank you again. I have had lifelong relationships with arms manufacturers and also an ammunition manufacturer so I have plenty of guns that were made to order So to speak, so your right I’m not the guy to delve into cutting this up into a build out.
Yes, it would be a great deer rifle at the least but at my age open sights don’t work with my eyes and if I have this rifle drilled to mount a scout, ahead of the bolt path, I’m probably goofing things up for a future owner.
I’ll look up value and sell.
Thanks for your patience and input guys.

Osky

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Osky
Thank you again. I have had lifelong relationships with arms manufacturers and also an ammunition manufacturer so I have plenty of guns that were made to order So to speak, so your right I’m not the guy to delve into cutting this up into a build out.
Yes, it would be a great deer rifle at the least but at my age open sights don’t work with my eyes and if I have this rifle drilled to mount a scout, ahead of the bolt path, I’m probably goofing things up for a future owner.
I’ll look up value and sell.
Thanks for your patience and input guys.

Osky

You stated in your first post that it has been "sleeked up some". So, no longer original. That will adversely affect the "collector" value.

I have one that was altered by Interarmco many moons ago. Still, it is one of my favorites. Makes a great back packing rifle. Light, handy, and rugged.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Z1R yes it came to me with the stock altered? I think the originals had metal bands around the stock and barrel, this has none. Saying that from pictures online however none that I saw were the carbine model. If I ever get the picture thing figured out here I will post what I'm talking about. Bit of an old dog here.
Other than the front sight I believe all metal on the gun is original.
Osky

Last edited by Osky; 12/18/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
An 1894 Carbine would have originally had a full-length stock.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

95 members (338rcm, 35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 972 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.