Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am looking at ordering a Sauer 100 that I found on sale chambered in 6.5 PRC. Does anyone have any experience shooting a Sauer 100? What is the general consensus on them? I found them on sale for just 600 bones and at that price it is tempting to pick one up in 6.5 PRC for Elk hunting. The Sauer rifles seem very popular in Europe but they don't get much publicity over here in the states. If anyone has any experience and cares to weigh in I would appreciate your thoughts.

TIA

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can only vouch for the two our group has..My brother a Creedmoor and my hunting buddy a PRC..Both are excellent and are half minute guns .Easily the equal to my custom Rem 700,Shilen Select match 260 Ackley..If they had the Sauers then, I wouldn't have built a rifle, I would have just bought one.. wink

My buddy used his Sauer 100 on a very recent antelope hunt..Just as we were slipping into manageable range,well, you'll see what happens.. wink

I say well worth it,no problem...

Can't get the video to load normally,so you will just have to click on it...Condensed version,didn't figure anybody wanted to watch the whole half hour.. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS8nLLBO_AU&t=26s

Last edited by Santiam; 09/04/19.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Just under 600, you better snap it up. I looked at a stainless one, 799.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just an FYI, Eurooptic is running a special where if you buy a Sauer 100 or Mauser M18 you get a 50% off coupon code for a Minox optic at the Minox online store. The coupon works for all Minox scopes, people over on Snipers Hide are getting ZP5s (which are supposed to be phenomenal alpha glass) for $1700 off. The rifles might not be the cheapest themselves, but if you need some excellent glass to go with it, the total package might be the cheapest you'll find.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No first hand experience, but IIRC, the Fieldsports Channel on YouTube tested these and some other Euro-rifles built to a price, and all have been solid no-frills guns. The Brits pay a LOT more for this stuff with their VAT and such. If I bought any of them, I'd lay in a couple of extra mags in case of loss or whoopsies.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have the 6.5 PRC Atacama. First day out .55" groups at 3070 fps with RL26 and 143 ELDX. Done the same over and over.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks the replies all. Looks like I will be ordering one here shortly.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Alright, order placed. Now that I've got mine on its way to me I will share that I got it from Sportsman's Warehouse. With a discount code I was actually able to scoop one up for $550+FFL transfer fee I will have to pay when I pick it up of $25. All in for $575 is a screaming deal on these Sauer 100 rifles from what I can tell.

Last edited by RyanSinBA; 09/05/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just broke in and zeroed a 7m08. Great trigger, slick action, well built rifle. Shoots better than I. Interesting stock profile, butt of the stock actually rises from the receiver and the LOP is at least 3/4 -1" longer than other rifles I own. This gave me fits at the bench getting a comfortable eye relief and consistent hold when shooting for groups. As with many hunting rifles the stock can be difficult to rest. Shoulders nicely for hunting, just difficult for me to consistently rest. Others have noted lots of half inch groups and I have no doubt my gun will do the same in more capable hands. I really like the build quality, got a killer deal on mine. I'm using talley one piece base/rings, meopro 4x12x50.....you'll likely want to use a higher ring due to the rising stock profile. Good luck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Sauer 100s are available in both synthetic or wood stocks. Is anyone getting great accuracy from a wood stocked model 100?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RyanSinBA
Alright, order placed. Now that I've got mine on its way to me I will share that I got it from Sportsman's Warehouse. With a discount code I was actually able to scoop one up for $550+FFL transfer fee I will have to pay when I pick it up of $25. All in for $575 is a screaming deal on these Sauer 100 rifles from what I can tell.

What discount code?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Just broke in and zeroed a 7m08. Great trigger, slick action, well built rifle. Shoots better than I. Interesting stock profile, butt of the stock actually rises from the receiver and the LOP is at least 3/4 -1" longer than other rifles I own.
I noticed that overly long length of pull. It would suck for hunting here with a heavy winter coat on.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That stock is designed for straight line recoil to help with spotting your own impacts. Amazing that it took a manufacturer this long to figure it out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the barrel diameter at the muzzle on the 6.5 PRC? Does it really have a 24" barrel?

Thanks,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I ended up getting one in 7mm Rem Mag. The PRC wasn't on sale and store bought ammo also factored into my decision a little bit. I am a member of this online shopping app, system, not sure what to call it but its called Honey. When you're online shopping it automatically checks for discount codes at checkout and applied a 10% discount at checkout. Let me see if I can find the code they sent me for another 10% on my next purchase and whoever takes the first crack at it is welcome to use that one.

Use WEL-6D5B-3877-5XBD good for 10% off any order over $100.

In my experience a longer LOP would be welcome. I have long gangly arms so this would work well for me more than likely. I also have never found a factory stock to have sufficient rise for my neck/head, even running rings that you can barely slip a $1 bill between the objective bell and the barrel. Again I think this rifle should fit me well. I cant ever seem to get the scope low enough to get my head to it in a natural manner.

Last edited by RyanSinBA; 09/08/19.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
They offer two different barrel lengths in the 6.5 PRC. A 20" and a 24", that may be why some confusion on the barrel length.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a excellent rifle, perhaps the best buy out there right now.....I needed another rifle like I needed a hole in my head, but the expert reviews sold me and a screaming closeout at $450 .....I couldn't stop myself. I think you'll be very happy with the decision.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I looked on Sportsmans site and the prc is $699 now. Does anyone know where there is one under $600.

Bb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
That stock is designed for straight line recoil to help with spotting your own impacts. Amazing that it took a manufacturer this long to figure it out.

Have you used one?
I have an interest in getting one of these.
The comb of the stock looks quite low from pictures I have seen, is that an issue?
How is the trigger mech, magazine, scope mounting system etc please

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
ROT on the 7mm Remington magnum?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,543
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.