-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Any experience on which one is a better/more reliable gun?

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I own 3 of the Mossberg's and have only handled or shot the Stoeger at demos. See my comments on your other thread regarding my thoughts on Stoeger.

The 930s I have were all bought used. The first was a blued/wood slug gun I picked up for not much more than a used H&R single shot slug gun. The price was so low I had to buy it to try. It worked flawlessly with the handful of various sabot loads I put in it except it would only shoot the Federal load with Barnes Expanders with a degree of accuracy. They are discontinued, naturally. I'm still looking for a good load. A couple are promising but need more shooting. It's been reliable but it's pickiness has been disconcerting.

The second was a blued/synthetic economy model. I bought as a back up or parts gun for the first as it too was dirt cheap. Based on previous history with the Mossberg 5500 and 9200 models this is a prudent idea. It has been the one used the most as I have used it for several tactical shotgun classes and spring snow goose hunting. It's on its second recoil spring that I installed, the first was after I bought it. I replace springs after 5000 rounds which helps the gun live a longer life. I have not had a bobble at any time, it even cycled Winchester Universals which were having problems in the guns of others. I trust it enough that it is my "go to" shotgun for bumps in the night.

The last is a camo version. I have less time with it and it is the one I trust the least. I had an issue with it cycling on one cold weather hunt but now believe it to have been ammo related rather than the gun. The gun has proven reliable the times I've used it since and it has begun to trade off with my Browning Gold for time in the turkey woods and waterfowl blind.

It is a toss up between the two but I would lean toward Mossberg, mostly due to familiarity. I did not mention this in the other thread but I feel one will get better and quicker help from Mossberg in the event of problems than Stoeger. At least that was my experience dealing with Mossberg with their 5500 and especially 9200 disaster. I have not used Beretta's customer service but their reputation is not great. What few times I needed Beretta parts I went to other places than Beretta.

C
OP Offline
C
Thank u for the feedback I appreciate it!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We have used a Stoeger 3020 with no problems. But I would guess that the Mossy will be better supported over time.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Both should prove to be pretty reliable. Mossberg will recoil a bit less. Having owned both, I’d go with the Mossberg. A big reason is, I like that Mossberg puts the safety on the tang.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a 930 soon after they came out, couldn't resist. It's been flawless for me, and has been my go-to gun for trap, skeet and waterfowl for years now. Cycles everything.

I like it so much that's what I got for my daughter, the synth camo version 930. It's also been flawless in action.

But my buddy has a camo 930 and he's had some trouble with it. But it could be the result of dropping it in the water and not cleaning it properly. smile

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
I have two 930s
Wanted a shorter LOP
Wanted a more reliable gun
Got a Mesa Tactical stock/tube
Got parts from OR3GUN
They are perfect
Jerry is paid to use them and thapey work well for him
With the OR3GUN upgrades, not expensive, these are bet your life reliable

Last edited by jmortimer; 09/24/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.