Defend the Constitution
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Train and condition for altitude. Better off lightening your pack if possible and/or one's belly fat than packing oxygen.

If possible, sleep at a highest elevation feasible before the next day's travel to higher altitude.

Stay well-hydrated (without alcohol).

All good advice, but I'm tryin ta cheat, here.

Buy my way to an extra day above treeline.

Can supplemental oxygen, supplied by a 1 pound device, help me cover more ground climbin from 7-10k feet, under load?

I'm a cheap bastard, but if the $ is right, I'll probably just buy one, to see what happens next summer.

Fubarski, seems like an O2 generator would be useful where you have a continuous need for O2. But for one-time use like you're saying, seems that bottled O2 would be the way to go. Just the weight of the bottle and O2, nothing extra.

Have you looked around for that?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got back from a hike up Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet AMSL.

Go slow on the ascent and climb high but sleep low worked for us.

Last edited by David_Walter; 09/09/19.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Just got back from a hike up Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet AMSL.

Go slow on the ascent and climb high but sleep low worked for us.

Climb high and sleep low has worked for Himalayan climbers since the 1950s.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Climbing at 10,000ft, Kilimanjaro climbing and Himalayan climbing are three different scenarios.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Climbing at 10,000ft, Kilimanjaro climbing and Himalayan climbing are three different scenarios.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just my opinion based off of a lot of climbing, hiking, and hunting in the mountains. You are wasting your money, pack space, and adding unnecessary weight. If you have problems functioning at 10K you really need to be working on your fitness.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well said.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Here's an existing product that seems to be the same concept, delivered in a different way:

https://www.oxygenplus.com/collections/skinni/products/3-pack-o-skinni-natural

I was thinkin a concentrator could do the same thing, without bein disposable.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just an add on to consider. bottle or concentrator is heavy. I am on oxy 24/7. Batteries for those last about 1 hour, and the units are around 20 lbs. To rent or buy legally you need a prescription. You can get one on the black market, generally used and abused. So there is the downside.

Exercise and get up there a few days earlier, forget the playing around with oxygen carriers. You can get too much and it can really screw you up.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Just my opinion based off of a lot of climbing, hiking, and hunting in the mountains. You are wasting your money, pack space, and adding unnecessary weight. If you have problems functioning at 10K you really need to be working on your fitness.

So, we'll put you down for "both" grin

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

There aren't any problems functioning anywhere.

I'm trying to find a way to put the hikin in, while acclimatizing, part easier.

Like the oxygen masks they have at football games. Player gets gassed, hits the O2 on the sideline, ready ta go.

Was thinkin of tryin ta lose weight, but I didn't wanna get caught up in onea those "eat less and exercise" scams.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not too many people have climbed more high peaks in North America than KC, listen to him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

In the Pacific Northwest, many of us are more impressed with Colorado ice climbers than we are with Colorado "North American high peak climbers".

So, now that you've introduced us to KC, Peakbagger... have KC fill us in on the details. Some of us love route details, especially of remote Alaskan, Canadian and Washington State peaks. Colorado peaks...not so much.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

In the Pacific Northwest, many of us are more impressed with Colorado ice climbers than we are with Colorado "North American high peak climbers".

So, now that you've introduced us to KC, Peakbagger... have KC fill us in on the details. Some of us love route details, especially of remote Alaskan, Canadian and Washington State peaks. Colorado peaks...not so much.

Is it really necessary to be so snarky?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad

Is it really necessary to be so snarky?

I can't speak for the sheriff, but for me it is. Ii's really tough not to be when you're an expert on virtually every subject.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unlike smokespoles...whom is deliberately stupid...again.

Feel free to howl at the sky...you seem to be good at it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

When I went backpacking with KC we talked about those peaks. They include all the high ones in North America, Mckinley, Robson, and the Pacific Northwest. You have stepped on your dick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Oooohhh...backpacker...tough guy! You couldn't follow me for three miles, fatboy. Betting you rarely separate yourself from your pickup more than 200 yards.

You got to have one to be ABLE to step on it. You probably made a good girl scout, though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wade’s World.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.