-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikkas are so accurate that angular measuring systems had to be tightened just for them. 1 MOA for a Tikka = .84"......

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Heym06,

One minutes of angle is 1/60 of a degree, which at 100 yards is 1.047 inches, not one inch. It increases proportionately with range:

200 yards--2.094"
300 yards--3.141"
600 yards--6.282" (1/2 MOA at 600 is 3.141"
1000 yards--10.470"

The math is very simple. What's not simple, apparently, is convincing shooters that one inch is not one MOA.

You are right. Been trying to convince people for years that a .25 inch group beats a .25 MOA group everyday. Some just don’t get math.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I wondered the same thing and the few I knew that had one all said the same thing, "tack drivers" out of the box. So I bought a Superlite in 6.5 Creed and cut the barrel at 22 inches and tossed a 3-9 SWFA on it and by golly, "tack driver".

I liked it so much that I bought the big CTR in 6.5 Creed for range use and put a Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHSi on it and "tack driver". I mean every one that shoots that big gun from the bench is a "tack driver". Good barrel, good trigger, etc.

I am now thinking a 21" barreled peep sighted Superlite in .358 Winny with a 10 round mag. might make a good "tack driver" big bear gun for hikes here in Alaska and when fishing the salmon streams. Or how about a Superlite in the 7mm WSM, a real long range "tack driver".

I like the rifles and I am a hard core walnut and blued steel Mod. 70 user since I was a kid.

I did the same thing, except after I bought my first CTR, I was so impressed with it, that I bought another CTR. At my clubs last centerfire/precision rifle shoot, I even felt guilty for pulling the CTR with Nightforce out. I could have been just as happy with my Savage, but no one of my buddies begged me to pull the CTR out:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I actually like my Tikka's better than my Sako long range hunter, but that rifle actually shoots pretty good too: Furthermore, I don't care if you guys are measuring moa or inches, it's a no brainer that Tikka's just shoot....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would bet Chuck Norris would like a Tikka rifle.

Texas
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tikka Superlite 708
[Linked Image]
They suck

IC B2

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pretty fascinating really to see a "box" rifle get this much praise, considering that there are so many options out there today, not that they are all that much to write home about.
I don't need another rifle really but I will be sure to check out a Tikka next time I can get my hands on one. I'm a dyed in the wool Win 70 fan but I suppose I still capable of learning something from time to time.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Accuracy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Accuracy, affordability, lack of quality built affordable, American rifles produced, accuracy (I like accuracy grin). memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i'm with you mem as in i LIKE accuracy too and can overlook alot of "deficiencies" whether actually there or perceived if i get the accuracy that Tikka rifles wayyyy more so than not provide.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What sets them apart from other box rifles? Everything's already been covered, but below are the reasons I've been using and recommending tikkas above all the other options. And I've put them in rough order of importance to me:

Action - smoother than anything I've tried, and more reliable, I've never had any feeding, extraction, ejection, or other issues, can't stand that happening with hunting rifles, they're supposed to work, every time

Trigger - crisp and light out of the box, simple turn of a screw puts them at ~2lbs

Scope mounting - I like the warne and sportsmatch rings, clamp directly to the receiver, it's solid, and simple

Stock - ergonomic enough, stiffer than most, bedding is pretty optional, unlike most

Accuracy - I've had one tikka before that didn't shoot very well, other than that, all the others are more consistently accurate than most other rifles I've had to tweak to be accurate, and that's straight out of the box

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought a new T3 SS in .260 before the Creedmoor Craze and was pretty jacked because of the Tikka's cred but it shot ho-hum.
Did some checking and found some contact between stock and barrel. Fixed it.
Noticed some scarring on the aluminum recoil lug. Installed a titanium aftermarket lug from Lumleys.
Found that my mag length wouldn't let me seat VLD bullets very close to the lands. Modified the bolt stop and the magazine to allow a longer OAL.
And now it shoots like I expected. Maybe even better.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Correct I was thinking one inch. I with draw the be part!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Bought my first Tikka 20 years ago.......

595 in 7-08......ordered blue syn..........

opened the box & it was SS/syn.....dammmm

Never got a bad one.all shot well & action was a smooth as a baby's azz........

Prob my least fav was a SS/varmint 223 T3.....shot OK......

but my all time fav was this one in 6.5x55.....G/kids have it now in AZ.......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little shine has come off
Tikka's with their current pricing. They are no longer a lot cheaper than
a 700 or similar.

However, quality is still what it has been

I don't have any customs to compare to, but many have complained that
the out of box Tikka out shoots their custom.

Mine have been easy. My standards are low, my efforts match.
Everything that goes into the chamber is fine. 1 inch is easy. I'm happy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

whats not to like from a Finnish rifle builder...Sako......Tikka

add the ole 6.5x55 in the mix.......

couldn't be better outta the box

https://www.sako.fi/sako-history

https://gundigest.com/rifles/ars-rifles/the-sweet-swede-ode-to-the-6-5x55

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
A little shine has come off
Tikka's with their current pricing. They are no longer a lot cheaper than
a 700 or similar.
I paid 495.00 for my walnut/blue Tikka 595 back in 2000. Priced a 700 BDL at the time and it also was 495.00 at the same shop where I bought the Tikka.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Accuracy. Tikkas are usually VERY accurate, especially the heavy-barreled models, which have lapped bores...

One more data point in the accuracy population (or 12 more if you want to count it that way).

These are the very first 12 groups from my brand new T3x 6.5 CM Varmint model. Had it out this morning, fired one shot to sight in and then started shooting groups. That group on the left in the top row represents the 2nd through 6th rounds down the barrel, they went into a .386" group for 5 shots. The others are 4 shot groups. I'm a real mediocre bench rest shooter and have a bad habit of throwing a flyer out of a group, otherwise the numbers here would be even better than they are.

These 12 groups represent two different bullets - Hornady 123 A-Max and 140 ELD-M, with two different powders for each bullet, RL-17 and H4350, two different charge weights for each powder with two radically different bullet seating depths. The absolute worst group is the middle in the third row and even with that flyer went into .811". The very best is the left one fourth row down, 4 shots into .236". Average of all 12 groups is .504". Most of these even with the flyers are in the low .4's to low .5's.

Count me among the satisfied Tikka shooters.

[Linked Image]

The only thing I kick myself over is that if I had bought this in a .270 it would really shoot.... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That is some awesome shooting Jim. That Tikka Varmint package is a superb looking setup. Congrats.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never owned one, but the used ones I've fondled at gunshops have been impressively smooth. Would certainly consider one if I was in the market, which I ain't, REALLY Honey, I swear!

Still don't care for the mag hanging down, or the plastic in places I don't think it should be, but those are quibbles.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had heard of them and while buying my hunting & fishing license in 2005 I asked the salesman what kind of rifle that was in the rack? He said Tikka, they're made by Sako. I said I had a Sako and it was heavier than I liked. He handed it to me and I said it feels lite and good, but I don't need a rifle today. Go ahead and snap the trigger a few times, I did and I wanted it!

The action was so smooth! The integral scope base grooves were straight which I liked because it would allow me to fit any kind of scope and spread the rings tow here I wanted them. After I bought it, I felt lucky to get an accurate one. As they became more popular I realized they were all accurate and I bought another in stainless.

Between my Tikka's and M700's (with replaced trigger assemblies) they have replaced my interest in M70 completely.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,147
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.