Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve always been a bolt action guy but it felt like a good time to pick up my first AR with all the ‘stuff’ going on right now. I wanted one just to play with and have in case of the proverbial SHTF; I'm not interested in completely tricking this thing out. It was hard to not get a Ruger AR 556 when local place had them for $479. I ran a couple boxes of cheap steal case Russian 5.56 ammo through it and it functioned great. More fun to shoot than I remember an AR being too.

Anyway, I was wondering what upgrades you Ruger AR owners found worthwhile. The trigger is a bit heavy but not bad enough to justify a replacement. I’m mainly considering an inexpensive red dot like a Vortex/Primary arms OR I may just replace the plastic flip up rear with a fixed Troy industries rear sight. Is a carry handle/sight a better upgrade than just the sight alone? I’d like to mount a flashlight on it too if this can be done via the bayonet lug/front sight. Or is it worthwhile replace the handguard? I’m not a fan of the fat/sharp edged foreends.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
ARIC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Holosun probably has the best red dot sight for a reasonable price - look them up on YouTube for reviews.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would use a folding rear sight, and learn to use it first
a red dot sight is very easy to use and a great accessory. (After learning to shoot iron sights)
Check here for a flashlight mount : https://www.elzetta.com/product/zfh1500/
There are some good trigger upgrades for under $100

Have fun

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 09/10/19.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I recently got a Holosun HS503CU for my Ruger Ar556 pistol. Seems cool. Auto On, Auto Off, Solar and battery, 2moa dot, with or without a circle. The dot looks like a couple of squiggly lines to me though. Wife says not to her but, uh, anyways... I am certain it's usable as is. We'll see. I called Holosun, got a real live American guy, first try. I liked that. Damned short on time, so it's unfired.

There's another Holosun model without solar that caught my eye too. And the Sig Romeo 5 for $100.

I dug around and found some real cheap but well reviewed offset sights, flashlight mount, Mlok rails, and things including red dots and a 3x magnifyer but have not tried yet. Hardly any bandwidth right now...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
SIG Romeo 5 would be where I'd go if you want a red dot scope.

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some info on the AR556 - some bathroom reading material. Have fun!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For the Ruger AR556, keep an eye on your buffer. Mine had a burr on the rear of the bolt carrier that made a circular groove in the face of the buffer. Called Ruger and they sent me a new buffer and bolt carrier. The only issue with the original bolt carrier was the burr, but that was easily polished out.

I free floated the barrel. Removing the barrel nut on the Ruger ARs is a PITA. Some type of Loctite they use. I had to apply heat, then set the upper/barrel in the freezer for a while, then the barrel nut came right off.

Other mods include:
Larue Trigger
Oden Works adjustable gas block
Upgraded the collapsible stock.
Spikes muzzle brake

Currently I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-7 BDC on it, and have been shooting out to 300 yards. Pretty accurate with 75 and 77 grain loads.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Man, not even a few minutes in and there are some dumb comments on there. LOL. Takes all kinds I guess

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rost495
Man, not even a few minutes in and there are some dumb comments on there. LOL. Takes all kinds I guess

Case in point.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by scoony
For the Ruger AR556, keep an eye on your buffer. Mine had a burr on the rear of the bolt carrier that made a circular groove in the face of the buffer. Called Ruger and they sent me a new buffer and bolt carrier. The only issue with the original bolt carrier was the burr, but that was easily polished out.

I found the same thing happened with mine so I polished the rear of the bolt carrier. I didn't feel a burr but there was certainly a jagged circle in the face of the buffer. If it keeps cutting, I'll call Ruger.

Thanks for the heads up and all the other suggestions.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by scoony

I found the same thing happened with mine so I polished the rear of the bolt carrier. I didn't feel a burr but there was certainly a jagged circle in the face of the buffer. If it keeps cutting, I'll call Ruger.

Thanks for the heads up and all the other suggestions.

First thing I did with my ar556 was drop in larue mbt-2s.

Replaced the Ruger collapsible stock with a Magpul ACS-L, because I got tired of getting my beard hair pulled out by the shorter telestock. Grip was replaced with a k2+ Magpul, just liked the angle better. Handguards were replaced with moe carbine, because.

Replaced the buffer with an h2. I grabbed a toolcraft m16 cut BCG on sale for cheap and swapped out the carrier with the original, keeping the new bolt for a spare. No idea why Ruger went with the Colt semi-auto cut carrier.

I think that's everything functionally changed parts wise. I lucked into a good deal on a Burris xtr ii 1.5-8 and joined the cult of the lpvo on this particular rifle; we'll see if it sticks.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree the Sig Romeo 5 is decent long battery life and shake turns it on
Nice cheap sight

479 for the Ruger seems like a very good deal

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I replaced the trigger on mine and it came with a cheap Chinese scope that works so far.
I don't trust anything with batteries. Murphy's Law.
It shoots ok for a carbine.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.