Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking for recommendations for a tough durable pack that can function as a hunting pack, travel bag, and bug out bag. I’ve chewed up several of the better known standard grade hunting packs so I’m thinking a military grade pack that can do it all might be better. Been looking hard at Mystery Ranch and Kifaru. Thoughts n opinions welcomed. Thanks

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Have you tried Stone Glacier yet? I sure like mine

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by handwerk
Have you tried Stone Glacier yet? I sure like mine

X2

163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
looked at Stone Glacier. i'm sure they are well built but i didn't see anything on their site i really liked. What model pack are you guys running??

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sky 5900

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally, I don't find the Stone Glacier packs comfortable, but I don't like fits-all frames. The SG packs feel like a stiff "trapper nelson"or "Alice" frame to my back. MR packs are "ok", but again, have gone to a fits all frame system. I definitely like MR over the SG packs. Of those you mention, I'd go Kifaru, hand's down. I far and away prefer the ability to fine-tune stays to get the fit I want.

However, I'd go with a Seek Outside pack over any of them. I dislike a few of the changes they've made, but they're damn comfortable and well thought out, as well as being light.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whenever someone lists tough and durable as top criteria for a backpack, I immediately think MR. Of all the packs I’ve owned and used, they are well made and over built.

That said, for a variety of reasons, I no longer own any MR packs. Like Brad, I’m in the Seek Outside fan club. I’ve been using a SO Evolution since they were introduced and have no desire for anything else. I’m not crazy about some of the recent ‘improvements’ either, but if for some reason I needed a new pack tomorrow, I’d be pulling up their website.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I am also using the sky 5900, so far I've packed out both elk and mule deer and it's done very well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I went through this a couple of years ago and had the same options. Went with a Seek Outside and couldn’t be happier. I got the 4800 Uniweep. I can’t recommend it enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Whenever someone lists tough and durable as top criteria for a backpack, I immediately think MR. Of all the packs I’ve owned and used, they are well made and over built.

That said, for a variety of reasons, I no longer own any MR packs. Like Brad, I’m in the Seek Outside fan club. I’ve been using a SO Evolution since they were introduced and have no desire for anything else. I’m not crazy about some of the recent ‘improvements’ either, but if for some reason I needed a new pack tomorrow, I’d be pulling up their website.

I'm with this guy. If my Paradox Evolution croaked tomorrow, I'd simply order whatever they currently offer that most closely resembles my Evo.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the consensus of the Exo packs?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Personally, I don't find the Stone Glacier packs comfortable, but I don't like fits-all frames. The SG packs feel like a stiff "trapper nelson"or "Alice" frame to my back. MR packs are "ok", but again, have gone to a fits all frame system. I definitely like MR over the SG packs. Of those you mention, I'd go Kifaru, hand's down. I far and away prefer the ability to fine-tune stays to get the fit I want.

However, I'd go with a Seek Outside pack over any of them. I dislike a few of the changes they've made, but they're damn comfortable and well thought out, as well as being light.

Which Stone Glacier frames have you packed with?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by Brad

Which Stone Glacier frames have you packed with?

I’ve loaded up with weight and tramped around in a shop with the bulk of the available frames... I’ve driven past their shop (which is just around the corner from Mystery Ranch) nearly every day for the past three years... For me, no thank you.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Brad,

I know your back/preferences are a bit different than most, have you tried the XCurve with the new stays?

We did a very in-depth user evaluation of available packs a couple years ago, everyone that had a viable offering was represented (something like 36-38 packs), and by far the highest rated pack was a Stone Glacier. Over a year long, 44 guys with each one being educated on pack wear and setup, then using each pack during work, mountain training etc.

Second highest rated was a Kifaru.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's true, packs are like boots, they've got to fit your body or the best pack in the world will be uncomfortable. I stick with my Kifaru because the hip belt and big lumbar pad just work right for me with a heavy load. I have a Seek Outside, I like it and it's a great pack but the lumbar pad is different so whenever I carry a heavy load my hip muscles crater.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’ve packed the Stone Glacier X Curve frame a long ways. There is not a pack I’ve used (osprey, Arc’teryx, North Face, eberlestock, Mystery Ranch) that compares. The Stone Glacier is by far the most comfortable pack I’ve used. One caveat. When I first got it and put it on with weight in it in my living room I just about sent it back. Glad I didn’t.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
... Second highest rated was a Kifaru.

Which Kifaru frame / pack was favorite? I am a Kifaru fan, but haven't tried the newest stuff

thanks,
Tim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much weight are you planning on carrying? How much volume is needed?

Hauling meat?

I like my Kifaru Mtn Warrior and Duplex frame. Does everything I can imagine I'll need out of a pack.

Hill People Gear makes some really nice stuff as well. I have a couple of their smaller bags, but haven't tried their bigger offerings.

I have no experience with SG or MR, but they're probably on par with the above for durability.

Where are you located in VA?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can only speak to what I use, and the Kifaru is a solid pack.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 163bc
Looking for recommendations for a tough durable pack that can function as a hunting pack, travel bag, and bug out bag. I’ve chewed up several of the better known standard grade hunting packs so I’m thinking a military grade pack that can do it all might be better. Been looking hard at Mystery Ranch and Kifaru. Thoughts n opinions welcomed. Thanks

I'm going to be negative. You sound like you have high standards / expectations. I don't think you're going to find a pack that meets your expectations for all three uses. I believe you'd be ahead to specialize by finding the pack that works the best for you for each purpose. Even for a single purpose, a hunting pack for instance, finding one that both works GREAT as a day pack while hunting and works GREAT for hauling meat, rather than being a compromise for one or both uses, is pretty challenging. If someone offers a suggestion, it may work well for them but not for other people for those uses. What does "travel bag" mean to you vs what does it mean to me? Bug out .. from what, to where, in what conditions? So I'd figure out what, specifically, each of those uses means to you. What you assume / intend to mean and what I think you mean might be completely, laughably different. Then just find the best for your use. I think you'll be happier specializing that making so many compromises that what you wind up with isn't very functional for anything.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
410 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.