Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
always wanted to go; has anyone made the trip? things to look for, or avoid? sounds like a good time, good shooting and great grub.
I did talk to an outfitter a few years ago, he said I should be ready to fire 1,000 rounds....before lunch, on the first day. I had one of my usual dove hunts here yesterday, saw 4 , fired at 2 and got zero, smile

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have been twice.

!000 rounds before lunch on the first day might be a little exaggerated, but let's just say that on my first morning doves were almost always in the air and in range, to the point where reloading the shotguns resulted in "missed opportunities." Eventually I got over worrying about that. Did go through a 250-round case long before lunch (and we didn't start shooting until around 9:30) so had to wander over where my companions were shooting to get more ammo.

One of my friends on the trip, a world-class shotgunner who had been down many times, said that instead of just shooting at every dove within range, you should concentrate on one shot-angle until you get it down, which will make you a better dove shooter and all-around wingshooter. He was right.

The big decision, I would say, is not whether or not to go, but whether to take your own guns or rent them down there from the outfitter. Have done it both ways and renting easier and cheaper--unless, of course, you absolutely want to bring your own.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It would be cool to list a couple outfitter you guys may have used and enjoyed

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
yes, that would be helpful. JB, I will PM you in a bit. I just counted 8 doves in my front yard. I drive 40 minutes to my hunting spot and get zip, and there are 8 I am feeding right here. sheesh! smile

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

IC B2

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks GM, nice videos

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
also liking JJ Caceria.com, pigeon option is tempting. Interesting, they don't take credit card but will take US cash(3% discount) or your personal check (2% fee added)

C
C
Originally Posted by kid0917
also liking JJ Caceria.com, pigeon option is tempting. Interesting, they don't take credit card but will take US cash(3% discount) or your personal check (2% fee added)

I have hunted with JJ three times over the past dozen years. JJ runs a good operation and his prices are very competitive. Two good friends hunted with him this year for doves, pigeons and perdiz and all went well. Some outfitters charge far more than JJ but not sure what you get for the extra fees. I've met a lot of hunters at JJ's lodge and I have never heard any grumbles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have hunted with JJ twice, doves and red stag. Thumbs up.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does JJ do any archery hunts?

IC B3

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Hayes and Hayes are everything you could dream of. I highly recommend them

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by CalgaryBill
[quote=kid0917]

I have hunted with JJ three times over the past dozen years. JJ runs a good operation and his prices are very competitive. Two good friends hunted with him this year for doves, pigeons and perdiz and all went well. Some outfitters charge far more than JJ but not sure what you get for the extra fees. I've met a lot of hunters at JJ's lodge and I have never heard any grumbles.

For those interested "perdiz" are partridge.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have been twice.

!000 rounds before lunch on the first day might be a little exaggerated, but let's just say that on my first morning doves were almost always in the air and in range, to the point where reloading the shotguns resulted in "missed opportunities." Eventually I got over worrying about that. Did go through a 250-round case long before lunch (and we didn't start shooting until around 9:30) so had to wander over where my companions were shooting to get more ammo.

One of my friends on the trip, a world-class shotgunner who had been down many times, said that instead of just shooting at every dove within range, you should concentrate on one shot-angle until you get it down, which will make you a better dove shooter and all-around wingshooter. He was right.

The big decision, I would say, is not whether or not to go, but whether to take your own guns or rent them down there from the outfitter. Have done it both ways and renting easier and cheaper--unless, of course, you absolutely want to bring your own.

All good advice, MD- concentrating on one shot angle for a while will up your kill percentage, based upon my own experience in Argentina. I took my own shotgun last time, but next trip I will be renting one of the outfitter's shotguns- bringing your own is a lot of hassle and expense.
Another interesting target, at least where I shot, was the hordes of parakeets that feed in the fields. They are every bit as challenging a target as doves, although my wife was horrified that I was shooting songbirds. They are a real nuisance, and damage crops as well when present in large numbers.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This outfitter also looks good, https://www.sycsporting.com/dove-hunting/lodge-el-cortijo , some good video of Tom Knapp having fun with some exhibition shooting.

I saw an internet story about a "lodge invasion" at JJ's a few years ago, pretty scary sounding, but JJ made it good as he could afterwards for all the guests.

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W

https://www.sierrabrava.com/

I've been there. Everything was perfect. You can shoot as much as you want to shoot.

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyattd

https://www.sierrabrava.com/

I've been there. Everything was perfect. You can shoot as much as you want to shoot.

I love this "ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE UNLIMITED DOVE SHOOTING
Rate: $2477 per hunter for the 3 Nights/4 Days stay"

A lot of the others, gun rental $65 a day extra, bird boy $50-60 a day extra, license $65 a day extra.

What time of year did you go? any pigeons or parakeets in the bag, and is the beef really THAT good? wink

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
I was there in early September. We did shoot pigeons/parakeets 1 afternoon, but it was an hour or so drive away. If I remember correctly we were on the tail end of when they typically shoot pigeons. They had a limit and we could only shoot 100 pigeons each. It was a nice change from just shooting doves around the lodge.

The food at Sierra Brava was spectacular, but we didn't have beef as much as you'd expect. Lots of variety.

I'd recommend at least 3 full days at the lodge with a half day on each end. I know most of the packages are 2 full days, but why go all that way and not stay a little extra. Don't be afraid to make them an all inclusive offer that includes everything and at least 1000 shells per day. That's how I've gotten my best deals there.

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I do get the feeling you could deal with them (Sierra Brava) by making an offer, that could be a factor in booking them vs some of the others.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have not been but know several guys that have been multiple times. According to them, 500-1000 shots per day is very doable.
Food wine and accommodations are very good.
Whether to take or rent guns is an issue. If I go,I’ll rent.
And the cost of shells can sneak up on you.

NRA Patron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.