24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
brian1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Do any of you folks know of a current source of .227 bullets for the 22 Hi Power?

I have a couple hundred leftovers from before they were discontinued, but after they are gone, that's it. Do any custom bullet makers make them? I haven't found any source.

I looked into making my own with Corbin swaging equipment, but yikes that stuff is really expensive. I suppose if no one makes them, I could start making them myself, especially if there's much interest from others in buying them from me. I've contacted a couple of the bullet makers listed on Corbin's site that make .224 bullets, but they said I'd have to buy the custom dies for them to make the .227 bullets. Well, if I'm going to buy the dies anyway, I might as well make my own, especially if there's any interest from others in buying some to spread out the cost of the dies. Hopefully, there's some custom bullet maker out there already making them, but I haven't found that person yet.

Are there any known makers of .227 bullets? If not, is there any interest from others in getting .227 bullets? The only use I know of for them is .22 High Power rifle owners, so the market is pretty limited.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buffalo Bore. I believe they are .228.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, Buffalo Arms is best bet, as is Reed's (a custom maker, ask Triple Deuce how to find them, I don't know off hand). Beyond that there's the usual aftermarket sources such as Gunbroker and want ads on forums around the internet. I spent many years begging/pleading/cajoling people on other websites in my quest for .228 bullets and over that time accumulated an impressive stash of obsolete and/or obscure .22 High Power bullets. I often marvel at the gawdawful amount of time I devoted to that pursuit, and wonder if in the end it was all worth it. (And no, I'm not in the .228 bullet selling business.)

Simple solution: get a bullet mold and make your own. Dirt cheap (after initial equipment outlays), accurate, and good for velocities from 1000fps to 2000fps (without employing skullduggery or voodoo), which is to say excellent for good old fashioned target shooting. Save the jacketed bullets for when deer season rolls around.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Simple solution: get a bullet mold and make your own. Dirt cheap (after initial equipment outlays), accurate, and good for velocities from 1000fps to 2000fps (without employing skullduggery or voodoo), which is to say excellent for good old fashioned target shooting. Save the jacketed bullets for when deer season rolls around.

... and cast bullets won't wear your barrel, a big plus sending a bunch of rounds down range plinking. Link to Bullet Man, ake The Bull Shop, .228 cast bullets on GB: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/830933920

Last edited by KeithNyst; 09/10/19.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Reeds ammo and Schroeder bullets make some great shooting .228’s.

Joe

IC B2

brian1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Many thanks for the tips. Buffalo Bore didn't seem to have anything pertinent, and didn't respond to my query a couple days ago. Perhaps the person recommending them meant Buffalo Arms, as someone else recommended. I was surprised to see Buffalo Arms has jacketed .228 bullets, although only 45 grain (and out of stock). I thought they only did cast bullets. Yes, the easiest method would be to just get a mould and make up some cast lead bullets, or just buy them from Bullet Man Dan on GB. I was wanting jacketed bullets, but perhaps trying some lead bullets at a slower velocity might be interesting. I was able to find Reed's Ammo in a google search, and yes, they have a nice large selection of .228 bullets (8 different ones, in fact). I found references to Schroeder Bullets in google, but apparently he doesn't have a web site. But I got his address in San Diego and his phone number, so I'll give him a call. So, at the very least, I can get jacketed bullets from Reed's or Buffalo Arms. Good - I really didn't want to have to make my own jacketed bullets. While it would have been fun to learn that skill, it would have been terribly expensive. I just ordered a box of cast bullets from Bullet Man Dan, and I'm deciding on which ones I want to get from Reed's. Thanks again for all the great tips!

Last edited by brian1; 09/11/19.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Wise choice. One word of advice (well two words): clean bore. For best results with cast bullets out of a barrel that has seen legions of jacketed bullets pass through it in its life, get it squeaky clean first. Remove as much of the copper fouling that you can. Not necessary for safety or anything, but it'll help prevent lead fouling and improve accuracy. Try 6 grains Unique (or Universal Clays)- that charge seems to be a good universal load, and is my go-to load with 60 grain cast bullets in all of my .22HP's.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The 70gr from Reeds shoot very well. I tried the 63 gr but they didnt shoot well. If you would like to try some of the ones i mentioned i can send you some. Pm me if you do.

Joe

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Package will be in the mail tomorrow Brian.

Joe

brian1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Joe,
I got the bullets today. Thank you very much for your generosity in sharing them. It will be interesting to try them out and see what the rifles like.
Best Regards,
Brian

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Your welcome. Keep us posted Brian.

Joe

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.