Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You have a short museum!

Thanks, that really is amazing.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tmitch
I have this old thing. It's a great shooter with CCI target loads.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wow, never seen an original Winder musket with the original sight in that kind of shape. I've got one that had been down the road, drilled out the bad bore and installed a .25 liner and made a .25-20 WCF out of it. Where did you come across one in that kind of shape, got to be a story behind that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No real good story behind my obtaining it. It languished in Cabelas Gun Library for quite awhile till they cut the price in half. I couldn't resist and had it sent to my local store and brought it home.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had one of those once. Trouble was a guy named Sedgley, in Philadelphia, had gotten his hands on it. It was converted to .22WCF (predecessor of the Hornet) probably sometime prior to 1930 when the Hornet came out. It functioned well, but since it had the gawdawful slow .22 short rifling rate of twist, it didn't shoot worth a tinker's dam. Lord knows I tried to overcome it, and got closest with an extremely short/light cast bullet at cat sneeze velocity- pretty close to .22 short performance not surprisingly. If any of you happen to have that bastid, I would be curious to know how that abomination is working out these days!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/12/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Don’t have any chambered for just shorts but over the years I’ve gotten good work from both standard velocity and HV short HP’s. I saw some (don’t remember if SV or HV) in our local pawn/gun shop a while back and was tempted but still had a pretty good inventory.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Don’t have any chambered for just shorts but over the years I’ve gotten good work from both standard velocity and HV short HP’s. I saw some (don’t remember if SV or HV) in our local pawn/gun shop a while back and was tempted but still had a pretty good inventory.

If my late brother hadn't given me this M24 just before he passed away, I wouldn't have one on the place, it bollixes up my inventory budget. I have killed quite a few coons in my trap with it in the past few years, but that doesn't require accuracy at contact distance. I keep it around because he gave it to me, and it's kinda neat, but pretty much useless, since I can't scope it, and my eyesight sucks. I DO admire the workmanship of the Remington 24, it simply oozes JMB in every way. I hate that it tosses the empties down my sleeve though, those things get HOT.
All my other .22s are Long Rifle guns, and I'm okay with that.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Browning SA-22. Haven't had it long, but that rifle is easy to like... No can needed...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Marlin model 39 that is pre HV rated. I do shoot Target LR's in it but it also likes HV Shorts. The shorts are faster and are safe for the gun.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A fella could do a lot worse than if he built a special purpose .22 short heavy target rifle for use in backyard benchrest shooting. The biggest drawback would be the spotty availability of quality ammo.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Is that chambered in 22 short, or 22LR but works with shorts?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

No, those are "SHORT ONLY" guns, like my M24 Remington.
The only guns I'm aware of that are Short, Long, and Long Rifle, are the old Savage gill guns, the Remington 550 and 550-1, and 552. There may be others, but they are much older designs, the only ones that aren't ancient, are the 552 Remingtons, and I think they were recently discontinued.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

The only guns I'm aware of that are Short, Long, and Long Rifle, are the old Savage gill guns, the Remington 550 and 550-1, and 552. There may be others, but they are much older designs, the only ones that aren't ancient, are the 552 Remingtons, and I think they were recently discontinued.

Yep, functions flawlessly with CBs as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Yep, functions flawlessly with CBs as well.

My marlin model 25 made in 1972 takes short, long, and long rifle. It's the most accurate 22 I have ever owned.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.