Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Why do vehicles with automatic transmission have a tachometer. My F150 with a 5 speed manual does not come with a tachometer?
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by whelennut
Why do vehicles with automatic transmission have a tachometer. My F150 with a 5 speed manual does not come with a tachometer?
whelennut

So when you're towing you can see if the torque converter is staying locked up or not?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not. I drive truck for a living and barely ever even glance at the tachometer.

Last edited by k20350; 09/10/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelennut
whelennut

I would prefer to have one regardless of auto or manual trans. It is nice to know what you are turning if you are downshifting to pull up grade, etc.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, why bother with a clock, or an outside temp reading, or a temp gauge, or a fuel gauge? Lets go back to the old fuel reserve lever that you pulled when the main tank ran dry. That way you knew you had to find a gas station before the reserve tank ran dry.

For me, the more info, the better. YMMV.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fuel gauge? The one in my van quit 5 years ago. I use the 'backup gauge', AKA the trip meter, refilling when it hits 400 miles.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My brother would never have known his automatic transmission was about to blow up on I95 when the engine was going 5000 rpm at 60 mph towing a 4000 lb construction trailer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't seen a 5 speed in an F-150 since my old '89. Do they still make them? Seems to me that mine had a tach. I thought it was a great trip truck, but only when I was driving it because none of my buddies knew how to drive a stick properly. They would try to lug it through town in 5th gear or forget to shift out of 3rd once they got on the highway. I bought the dealer demo Platinum with every option they hang on those things and the power rear window, six color lighted cup holder toggle, sun roof and a bunch of other stuff is superfluous to my way of thinking. And yeah, it has a tach too.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The 5 speed was difficult to find in 2003.
Even more now. Mine says Japan on it. I am guessing it is a Mazda. I am hoping it outlasts me.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just because it is an automatic doesn't mean you can't manually shift gears, especially when it needs to downshift. I find that if I wait for the transmission to downshift on inclines, especially when towing or hauling heavy the transmission won't downshift until the truck starts to strain. I find it better to watch the tach and manually downshift before the engine starts to struggle. That way I maintain momentum much better

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Windfall
I haven't seen a 5 speed in an F-150 since my old '89. Do they still make them? Seems to me that mine had a tach. I thought it was a great trip truck, but only when I was driving it because none of my buddies knew how to drive a stick properly. They would try to lug it through town in 5th gear or forget to shift out of 3rd once they got on the highway. I bought the dealer demo Platinum with every option they hang on those things and the power rear window, six color lighted cup holder toggle, sun roof and a bunch of other stuff is superfluous to my way of thinking. And yeah, it has a tach too.

No. the only full sized pickup made with a manual any more is a Dodge 2500 or 3500 with the diesel.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Windfall

No. the only full sized pickup made with a manual any more is a Dodge 2500 or 3500 with the diesel.

I believe Ram dropped the manual transmission all together now....they were the last.

Rob
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could be. I haven't kept up on the new ones.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.