Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We have legal BASE jumping off the local 480' bridge. Every year, 1 or 2 of them don't make it down in 1 piece. Another one died this afternoon when his chute didn't fully open. He and his wife jumped at the same time so she could watch him feed the fish. Her chute opened correctly. 38 years old, from CA.

It's a very dangerous sport because there is no time to compensate for error. You have 1 shot and it something goes wrong, it's by-by. To the right, just out of sight in this photo, is a flat, open area where they land. The wind usually takes them right in. Usually. I know we're supposed to feel sorry for them when something goes wrong, but they know the risks and life seems to mean little to them. They don't care, let their families deal with it.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adrenalin has it's price.

LOL
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Guess he and his wife aren't chums anymore.

Well, he still is.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Darwinism.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Guess he and his wife aren't chums anymore.

Well, he still is.

Dooooooooooood.....

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even crazier is the wing suit crowd. A little downdraft and you're a grease spot on the rocks.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Geuss grim had a hand on his shoulder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know they're dumbasses and all, but I just have a hard time watching those failed base jumping and wing suit videos. It is a human life after all.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There are people I know that a have diseases like cancer just trying to stay alive and these folks go jumping off bridges and killing themselves. I will never understand these brainiacs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I know they're dumbasses and all, but I just have a hard time watching those failed base jumping and wing suit videos. It is a human life after all.

Mike

That's funny, I don't feel that way at all. I kinda wish they all would have to use a camera suspended above them (and especially hardened), so that it captures their moment of impact...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's the wife look like?

She's gonna need consoling...........Just sayin'.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Son of a former shipmate is a base-jumper and wing-suit flyer. I'm waiting for the inevitable obit. The kid is a former Marine 2-tour combat cameraman and I guess misses the adrenaline.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get all the adrenaline rush I need by just driving down the local highway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yet standing nose to nose with a grizzly or water buffalo while on a hunt is totally acceptable by most here. We all get our kicks somehow and I'm glad we aren't all the same. I personally love flying and being in control.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its important for some sports (if that's the proper term to use) to produce casualties on a regular basis. Otherwise, it wouldn't provide the rush that participants are after.

Last edited by Beoceorl; 09/10/19.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Yet standing nose to nose with a grizzly or water buffalo while on a hunt is totally acceptable by most here. We all get our kicks somehow and I'm glad we aren't all the same. I personally love flying and being in control.

All true. There are lots of folks who crave that rush. I just hope they understand the impact on those around them when/if it goes poorly.

I love flying as well but I got all my aviation excitement in when I was young and immortal with carrier landings and avoiding SAMS and AAA. I get more satisfaction these days from a well flown RNAV or ILS approach more than aerobatics or other such work.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have watched them jump from that bridge many times and am surprised it doesn’t happen more often.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well hopefully it didn’t hurt.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Springcove
I have watched them jump from that bridge many times and am surprised it doesn’t happen more often.
A few years ago my wife and I watched one that came close. His chute folded under when it opened. He got it open but not soon enough to keep him on target. He ended up in some trees and was banged up some.

The all time dumbest Darwin off this bridge was a couple years ago. A 70+ year old guy came up with a spectacular jump plan. His assistant sprayed his chute with some kind of highly flammable spray. The plan was to light the chute on fire just before he jumped. Then he'd jump, release the chute, and then pop his real chute. Things went wrong. The wind pushed enough of the spray to his clothes so that when the assistant lit it, the fire jumped from the chute to his clothes and HE went up in a ball of flame. He went off the bridge but wasn't able to drop the burning chute. He hit the water in flames. Very dead. It was a 'spectacular' jump for sure.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Mike

That's funny, I don't feel that way at all. I kinda wish they all would have to use a camera suspended above them (and especially hardened), so that it captures their moment of impact...

You'd enjoy warching that, over and over?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.