Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Civil Defense used to used to advocate smaller, more numerous operations.

Small, local refineries, things like that.

So what? An interstate system? It has sure been good for the banking and auto industry.

Big, single routes. Easy to clog and easy to target.

Smaller and more numerous operations in the grid might be a blessing in disguise.

I am MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Haha!

Well, an EMP aint schit to a Mormon.

Nothing for them to have 2-300 pounds of flour socked away.

Hah! Someone would have to tell the Amish that it happened or they wouldn't know!

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Civil Defense used to used to advocate smaller, more numerous operations.

Small, local refineries, things like that.

So what? An interstate system? It has sure been good for the banking and auto industry.

Big, single routes. Easy to clog and easy to target.

Smaller and more numerous operations in the grid might be a blessing in disguise.

You missed the point, but I thought you might, most people do. Think it though for a while.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So how would one best prepare for this EMP event on a family scale?

Or is it too bad/so sad when it hits? For real now, not the hokey prepper/I can survive anything stuff that goes out the window with the first shot fired.

1. You have to get out in the country. Survival would not be possible in the city.
2. You need a big stock pile of food. You can buy 5 gallon buckets of nitrogen-packed kidney beans, and corn, and hard red winter wheat.
About 80 bucks for a bucket. Forty two pounds of beans. That is a hell of a lot of food. Get a hand cranked grain grinder and you can make your own cornbread.
3. You need a propane cooking stove, not electric, and a 500 gallon tank of propane.
4. You need a wood stove and a lot of firewood.
5. You need access to water. This could be a well, or a spring.

If you don't live in the country it would be costly indeed, you need to buy a "bug out house" and stock it up. And, who knows if you could get there after the S hits the F.
If you already live in the country, it is not that costly to be prepared. You could buy a year's supply of food for two for a couple thousand dollars.

It goes without saying you need guns I imagine everybody on this forum has that covered.

These guys sell survival food.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/buy-organic-yellow-dent-corn-for-sale

You can buy freeze dried food, it is good and easy to fix, but, expensive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Mt 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

We can talk about an EMP attack but there's virtually nothing we can do about it on the individual level. Let the Lord handle it.

I have no problem letting the Lord handle tomorrow.

The past however, reminds me that electrical service can be iffy in my locale. And submersible well pumps have a limited life. A generator was an easy quick fix, and a hand pump for the well was easily accomplished, too.

None of this was done as a prep towards EMP.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Several posters have commented on the book One Second After. Most liked it and several didn't. However, it is an eye opener as to what life after an EMP could be like.

If you want to try another series of books try "Blackout: Still Surviving," by Boyd Craven III. Three books in the series and not a bad story line. Another book worth reading is "Lights Out" by David Crawford.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Mt 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

We can talk about an EMP attack but there's virtually nothing we can do about it on the individual level. Let the Lord handle it.

Rock Chuck, I do not mean this as a personal attack, I just can’t formulate a better way to say it.....The Good Lord gave us a brain and expects us to use it! We as humans are given deductive reasoning (except democrats), we are expected to “be fruitful and multiply”....not merely accept hardships as “the end”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Great gun.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It would be tough times for sure....
But if you think about it some it may be the best thing overall to happin to the planet...we would be knocked back to like the year 1850
Travel would be by horse or on foot...the cities would die fast..it would be only a strong service senario...the gangs would take over and all the gun haters would die first with no way to defend themselves...the gangs would move to rural areas to steal food as they have no hunting skills which wouldn't take long for good ole country boys to wipe them out...in short order liberals would be gone and the only ones left are the ones that can actually live off the land.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

EMP

When the Big Pulse comes it will weld the slide to the frame unless you use dielectric grease like car ignition systems. It'll do the same for zippers. I'm investing in button fly jeans. So when the nonbelievers' pants reach welding temperature I'll have all the wimmin! crazy

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

EMP

Looks like you beat me to it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bring it on. I'm so sick of being harassed by cell phone.
Like to read, have a cabin with a spring, gem pump, a wood stove and firewood, plenty of canned beans and tomatoes, plenty of deer, rabbit, squirrels and bear, not to mention fish, turkey and grouse. "Might" even have a nice water distillery that (if forced too) could even be used to make alcohol (God forbid *GASP*).

When the sun rises, I go to work.
When the sun goes down, I take my rest.
I dig the well from which I drink.
I farm the soil which yields my food.
I share creation.
Kings can do no more.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Like to read, have a cabin with a spring, gem pump, a wood stove and firewood, plenty of canned beans and tomatoes, plenty of deer, rabbit, squirrels and bear, not to mention fish, turkey and grouse. "Might" even have a nice water distillery that (if forced too) could even be used to make alcohol (God forbid *GASP*).

I share creation.
Kings can do no more.

Within a year game will be hunted towards extinction. Day to day survival will be a full time job as will keeping what you have (including your life) from being taken by a roving band of whopass. Survival will take preparation and allies. Surviving alone will be nearly impossible.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I share creation.
Kings can do no more.

Might be worth it to not have to read about these SHTF fantasies.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
ranierrifleco:

"It would be tough times for sure....
But if you think about it some it may be the best thing overall to happin to the planet...we would be knocked back to like the year 1850
Travel would be by horse or on foot...the cities would die fast..it would be only a strong service senario...the gangs would take over and all the gun haters would die first with no way to defend themselves...the gangs would move to rural areas to steal food as they have no hunting skills which wouldn't take long for good ole country boys to wipe them out...in short order liberals would be gone and the only ones left are the ones that can actually live off the land....."

That is exactly what would happen.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Get out of the city. Stock up on food and water. Live like they they did in the 1800's.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
At no time in history have large populations with access to vast amounts of resources been allowed to toil and labor with out the "oversight" of a govt.

The govt overlords use helicopters and black suv's today. They used to use large columns of men and horses.

It took longer for them to come collect the tax and tribute.....but like the USPS.....they got there.

They will adapt quickly.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You dont simply let your tax livestock run free forever just because an EMP knocked out your electric fence charger.

You round them bastards up and drive posts.........like in the old days.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Okie, “Bingo”, in most places it will take far less than one year, for the big game, and livestock to disappear! Up here, even the fish will soon be depleted....our G&F have very strict creel/slot limits and still must release millions of fish per year to maintain our fishing!

A smart survivor should have lots of traps for smaller animals.....rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, ect. A side benefit to the traps, if you have a garden, you can trap the garden “raiders” ....protecting your garden and getting some meat protein simultaneously! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jim, that will just help the “looters” find your beef. They will kill, cut off what they can carry and leave the rest to rot. Livestock will soon be a thing of the past! memtb

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.