Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2019/09/09/hunter-attacked-by-bear-near-gunsight-mountain/

Gunsight mountain is an obvious point along the Glenn highway and right in a predator control unit...

Hunter mauled by brown bear near Eureka
pencil Author: Michelle Theriault Boots clock Updated: 4 hours ago calendar Published 17 hours ago

A hunter was mauled by a sow brown bear Friday night in the Eureka area northeast of Anchorage, the Alaska State Troopers said.

The injured person’s hunting partner ended the attack by shooting the bear dead.

The two moose hunters were in the Gunsight Mountain area, about 120 miles northeast of Anchorage off the Glenn Highway, when they surprised a brown bear with two cubs Friday evening.

“The sow attacked one of the hunters causing serious injuries,” according to troopers.

The uninjured hunter shot and killed the bear. Troopers did not name the hunters.

The attack was reported around 7 p.m. on Friday evening, according to troopers. The injured hunter was flown to Anchorage with serious injuries.

An account of the aftermath of the attack by a cabin owner in the area was widely circulated on Facebook in the hours after the event.

The account, posted by a Glenn Marlin, said the two hunters in their 20s were in the “right place, bad timing” when they ran into the bear.

After the mauling and struggle with the bear, they got to a four-wheeler and were able to call to a nearby cabin for help, Marlin wrote.

The bear was recovered the next day, he wrote.

About this Author
Michelle Theriault Boots
Michelle Theriault Boots is a reporter who covers news and features about life in Alaska.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
gotta hope the best for the two boys and hope the one in the hospital heals up well. dang bears !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Worth having a powerful firearm, bear spray and a good buddy who's reliable when in bear country.

Guy

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Any idea how old the cubs were?

Sometimes a buddy (or ones self) with a powerful firearm just isn't quick enough! Them things are FAST, at least in the short run, and that's usually when maulings happen - close in and personal. 0-30 in 3 jumps, or so.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I heard 4th hand that they were 3 year olds... almost as big as the sow.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I heard 2 year old cubs on Saturday night, and then tonight said 3 year old cubs. I think they will be fine. I was out riding west of there a week ago, and we found fresh grizzly tracks and scat on our trails.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I thought cubs were usually run off 3rd spring so sow could breed? Or she has bred and will ditch them before denning?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Once again, the best bear defense gun is the one your partner is carrying.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ok - says cubs stay with mom 2-4 years.

Good thing they didn’t pile on

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Spoke to a close friend of the shooter tonight... he says the bear passed him on the way to the chewee toy. He followed immediately and shot the bear head-on from very, very close with a 30-06. The bullet deflected and failed to enter at all. He reloaded and when the bear turned sideways he put one through the shoulders.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cascade
Worth having a powerful firearm, bear spray and a good buddy who's reliable when in bear country.

Guy

Two out of three ain't bad! No faith in spray, especially when someone is being chewed.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So you're saying that the first bullet glanced off the skull or something?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That's what deflected usually means....

although I am suspicious that it did not deflect - just grazed due to placement.

Wasn't there, don't know.

Last edited by las; 09/10/19.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Spoke to a close friend of the shooter tonight... he says the bear passed him on the way to the chewee toy. He followed immediately and shot the bear head-on from very, very close with a 30-06. The bullet deflected and failed to enter at all. He reloaded and when the bear turned sideways he put one through the shoulders.

Musta been the front shoulders. That’s not the time to ass shoot a bear.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

although I am suspicious that it did not deflect - just grazed due to placement.

They are calling it "bounced off" but my money is on "glanced off."

But he may have been using Accubombs?
wink

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

When is the time to ass shoot a bear?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I’ve ass shot a number of them as they ran away from their first ration of extra holes. A 300 gr partition from the ol’ H&H wrecking a pelvis and then exiting out the front of the chest or lodging in the neck is some wonderful stuff!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

When is the time to ass shoot a bear?

Well, when one has an uber magnum, making a cross-canyon shot, a friend to read sign, and two miles of cable on a winch.

Thot everybody knew that!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las

wink

In an a-bort.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las

wink

In an a-bort.

I thought you shot a-borts?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.