Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Anybody have insight into a good fishing kayak for a tall (6’7”) guy? Weight close to 300lbs.

GB2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As you look into them, be sure to look at the weight if you are going to have any issues getting to the water.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a lightweight 10 foot jon boat and put wheels on the back to hand launch it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One could always go to a two person version.

1Minute
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Budget?

Hobie is a solid choice. Stable, pricey but great quality. I have one.

The 10-12’ jon boat idea ain’t a bad way to roll.

Blend the 2 and get a Gheenoe. I spend a lot of time in a small boat stream fishing for muskies here in eastern Kentucky. The gheenoe combines the paddling ease of a canoe, with the stability of a 12/36 jon boat. Will accept up to a 5hp motor and weighs 130# in the 13’ model.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are now a number of foot-pedal kayaks, based on the overwhelming success of the original Hobie Pro Angler. I've had my 14' Hobie for a number of years and have never had an issue with it. It's almost untippable, stable as heck, surprisingly fast (I have trouble pedaling slow enough to troll in it!) and is a virtually silent fish-catching machine.

Search YouTube for pedal kayaks and find the newer ones by Pelican and others.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK If I was 30 again instead of 70, perhaps I'd go with the pedal kayak. But I ain't. And a 10 ft Jon and a trolling motor and battery beats every Canoe and Kayak ever made. IMHO
For two $4 harbor freight wheels and $20 worth of aluminum angle stock, I can fish the skinny water and stretch my long azz legs in the boat.
Just remember, every foot ya pedal out, ya gots to pedal back!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm 72, fubar, and I pedal mine for hours, effortlessly. It's easier than walking because you're seated while pedaling. Only the loading and unloading are a challenge, but with a trailer, even that would be eliminated.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Originally Posted by fubarguy
OK If I was 30 again instead of 70, perhaps I'd go with the pedal kayak. But I ain't. And a 10 ft Jon and a trolling motor and battery beats every Canoe and Kayak ever made. IMHO
For two $4 harbor freight wheels and $20 worth of aluminum angle stock, I can fish the skinny water and stretch my long azz legs in the boat.

And every gheenoe beats every 10-12ft jon EVER made

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have to agree on the Gheenoe as an alternative to a jon. Personal preference thing. Either one is better than sitting cramped in a kayak

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I bought a NuCanoe Flint last year and have nothing but great things to say about it. Because of it, I've been on the water at least 10x more than I ever have before, and that includes the last 6 years we've owned our 16' Express Jon Boat.

The Flint has 4 verticle rod holders in the back and two horizontal holders in the front. Its a little over 11' long and weighs 60 lbs. I bought the dolly to go with it but don't use it much. I have my 13 y.o. son help me load it at home and then when I get to the water I always go to public boat ramps that I gently lower the front into the water and it makes it easy just sliding it right out. Its a little more trouble loading it by myself, but not too bad with the front in floating in the water.

I can't tell you how much more I enjoy my time on the water having a simple kayak to paddle around on instead of having to drive a motorboat and then troll with a trolling motor. I just paddle to where I want to fish, generally upstream when the dams are not generating and then just drift with the current back down to where I put in at. The Flint is very stable, I've not had any trouble with it flipping or even feeling unsteady. It's got plenty of room for all your rods, a couple of tackle boxes, and even has drink holders to the right and left. My only gripe is the fact that the dry hatch is in the back and inaccessible from the seated position. You have to get out to get into it. The only time this is a problem is when you need your cell phone. I usually pack mine in a zip lock bag in the dry hatch for fear of flipping, however the last time I went out I just kept it in my pocket.

I highly recommend the NuCanoe Flint, but any sit on top kayak will offer you many joyful hours on the water. Think the weight capacity on the Flint is around 350 lbs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fubarguy

Take your Jon boat/battery/trolling motor from the pull out on Hwy 1 down to the launch at Elk in Mendocino county. Using your $8 of Harbor Freight wheels of course. It's probably only half a mile, though feels more like a mile. Then when you're done, pull it back. Through the loose sand and up the 200' tall bluff. With battery and trolling motor, and tackle, and likely another 25-30 pounds of fish. If not more. While you're out there, be prepared for 6-10' swell and possibly 2' of wind waves.

Once that's done, head on down to Bean Hollow. It's only about 200 yards through the loose sand to the launch, so you've got that going for you. But you'll have to make your way through the waves. It's not that hard. Time to launch through the small waves in between the big sets. Probably they'll be 3' faces instead of 5-6', and you'll have to punch through two of them before getting deep enough that they're no longer an issue. Wave period is typically about 10 seconds. So you'll have that long to pull your Jon boat into deep enough water that it floats, hop in, and give that trolling motor the beans. You'll need forward momentum in order to punch through, otherwise it will go badly. In a Jon boat, you're going to take on a lot of water over the bow, so be prepared for that. Now, the beach is pretty steep, so you don't have that much distance to build up speed before you hit that first face. Out on the water, swell conditions will generally be milder than in Mendo, as you're somewhat protected by Pillar Point. The wind can come up quick though, so be prepared to get out of there quickly. In a boat that doesn't have much freeboard, if the sheep are in the meadows, you're in trouble. Exiting through the surf is similar to entry, and here is where that trolling motor may pay off. Ride the back of a wave coming in. Let it break in front of you and just ride the wash. Get out of the boat rickytick and drag it up the beach ASAP. The next wave is coming, and could be bigger. You really don't want it to yard sale all your gear. Speaking of gear, Do you have a place to stow it? For when you broach and capsize. Because it will happen, it's just a matter of when.

Next stop, the Lower Yuba below the hwy 20 bridge. No sand, but no trolling motor allowed either. It's pretty flat, with just a couple sections of whitewater.

What's that saying again? Oh yeah, "There's no such thing as the perfect boat".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One last thing. Here in Utah, any floating vehicle that isn't man-powered has to be registered and pay the annual fee (nearly $100). My Hobie Pro-Angler is free, but even a tube or personal pontoon with a trolling motor is not. Canoes and kayaks (pedal or paddle) are quite popular here for that reason.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I purchased a Hobie Pro Angler 14 yesterday......I can not believe I payed that much for a Kayak....I just started Kayak fishing this spring and purchased a cheap Kayak to start...... I like it so well my Big Boat has not seen the water this year and will be for sale....

The lakes around here are so pressured it is hard to catch fish......We have been fishing skinny water that is not accessible with a bass boat...We have been catching lots of fish every time we go Now....

I am 56 had a major heart attack last year and have had Back surgery.....I can sit in a kayak all day without any problem....The seats in most of the high end fishing kayaks now are just as comfy as the seat in a 50,000 $ truck...

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 04/23/20.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’m 6’7” and 308. I have a Jackson Big Rig, I love it!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That was the Kayak I wanted Originally ....I could not find one in stock anywhere in NC......The local dealer in Greesboro NC cut me a hell of a Deal on the Pro angler 14 ...He called it a Covid 19 special LOL ...He needed to keep the lights on and I needed a new Kayak.....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
X2 on Jackson Big Rig.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I do not normally hang out in the Fishing Forum. Just popped in to ask a question about a small fishing kayak... and Voila ! ... Not the OP, but, appreciate everyone's input. Good stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6’7” and use one of the 12ft Ascends from Cabelas. Plenty of leg room with seat all the way back, I actually don’t have the foot rests all the way out.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Advantage of a kayak versus 14 to 16 ft Old Town plastic canoe? Primary use fishing my farm pond here at home. Have an opportunity to purchase said canoe locally for a reasonable price. 62 years old. 6 ft. 240 lbs. Proficient swimmer. Will be using a PFD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
239 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.