B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
activists? more like MORONS.

Those guys don't do the rest of us any favors. They come across as loons, and that's what the fence sitters see.

Exactly.... The more kook-fringe-like we act, the more we lose....
Open carry might be a "kook fringe" thing there but it certainly isn't everywhere. Or at least it didn't used to be. When I was in Montana in 1992 there were people open carrying everywhere. They sure didn't look like freaks to me either. They were dressed pretty much like the majority, which is to say blue jeans, cowboy boots and cowboy hats. Open carry wasn't reserved just for out of town or podunk little towns either. I saw many open carrying in the mall in Kalispell every time I went. Nobody paid any mind to it as far as I could tell, just business as usual. In the small town in rural upstate NY where I grew up, it was common to see kids carrying rifles and shotguns through town on their way to go hunting. Often even groups of kids {and I was often one of them} and nobody paid any mind to it, including the police. The parking lot at my old high school was filled with pickups that had guns plainly on display in rear window racks every day and nobody freaked . Today that kind of thing would have a SWAT team on the scene so fast it would make your head spin. I say all this just to get around to this.....We have done ourselves a great disservice over the years by hiding guns from public view. Doing so just makes them seem out of the ordinary, illegitimate, mysterious, dangerous and maybe even illegal and immoral to the non shooting public. That's quite a pity really.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

16B,

I'm just arguing the general case, not anything specific. In shall issues states, the general rule is if you can pass the 4473 background check you can get a permit, providing you pay your money to the trainer and again to the legal government authority.

If you can't pass that check, it makes no sense to me someone would open carry in Walmart advertising to the world they are in possession of a firearm.

Nebraska is a shall issue state, but just because you may fool a background check on a 4473 doesn’t mean you are going to get a CHP. Don’t think a 4473 requires fingerprints. Plus there are a dozen other grounds for disqualification, but those show up on the fingerprints.

Completed, signed and notarized application form
Proof of training - Original or certified copy of Certificate of Completion of a Handgun Training and Safety Course approved by the Nebraska State Patrol
Proof of vision - only needed if presenting a state issued ID card
Proof of identification - Current NE driver's license, NE state issued ID or current military ID
Proof of citizenship - Certified state issued birth certificate, naturalization papers, certificate of citizenship from immigration authorities or a current or expired US passport
Please note: If the name listed on the application does not match the name on the proof of citizenship provided, legal documentation showing name change (such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order) may be required.
Proof of address - (the address on the application must match the provided documentation) Current NE driver's license or NE state issued ID, active military duty station orders, or one of the following items: utility bill, bank statement, valid Nebraska vehicle registration, Nebraska voter registration card, pay stub or earnings statement, mortgage or lease agreement or tax documents issued at least 180 days prior to application date
Applicable Fee - $100.00, cash or check only
Fingerprints and Photographs taken at the time of application submittal

Swifty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52

16B,

I'm just arguing the general case, not anything specific. In shall issues states, the general rule is if you can pass the 4473 background check you can get a permit, providing you pay your money to the trainer and again to the legal government authority.

If you can't pass that check, it makes no sense to me someone would open carry in Walmart advertising to the world they are in possession of a firearm.

Nebraska is a shall issue state, but just because you may fool a background check on a 4473 doesn’t mean you are going to get a CHP. Don’t think a 4473 requires fingerprints. Plus there are a dozen other grounds for disqualification, but those show up on the fingerprints.

Completed, signed and notarized application form
Proof of training - Original or certified copy of Certificate of Completion of a Handgun Training and Safety Course approved by the Nebraska State Patrol
Proof of vision - only needed if presenting a state issued ID card
Proof of identification - Current NE driver's license, NE state issued ID or current military ID
Proof of citizenship - Certified state issued birth certificate, naturalization papers, certificate of citizenship from immigration authorities or a current or expired US passport
Please note: If the name listed on the application does not match the name on the proof of citizenship provided, legal documentation showing name change (such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order) may be required.
Proof of address - (the address on the application must match the provided documentation) Current NE driver's license or NE state issued ID, active military duty station orders, or one of the following items: utility bill, bank statement, valid Nebraska vehicle registration, Nebraska voter registration card, pay stub or earnings statement, mortgage or lease agreement or tax documents issued at least 180 days prior to application date
Applicable Fee - $100.00, cash or check only
Fingerprints and Photographs taken at the time of application submittal
Huh, no blood, urine, stool or semen samples ? Sure ain't no "infinging" on the RIGHT of the people to keep and "BEAR" arms going on there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Those guys don't do the rest of us any favors. They come across as loons, and that's what the fence sitters see.

Many are loons, sorry to say, and they make us all look like loons.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Exactly.... The more kook-fringe-like we act, the more we lose....

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 16bore
I’ve often wondered if guys who open carry do so because they couldn’t pass the CCW background check.

In TX, which is the place the OP mentions this group is doing this, you must have a LTC or License To Carry, to carry both openly or concealed.
So yes, they had to pass a extensive background check here to carry openly.

Of course, in other states that have Constitutional Carry, I’m sure there’s more than a few carrying that might not be able to pass a background check.

Personally, I don’t EVER open carry in public.

The ONLY time I ever open carry is when I’m working or hunting around the Ranch on property I own.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
don't bring your guns to town son, leave your guns at home.

we're just becoming too civilized to openly show weaponry.

it's just another item that's not as pc as it used to be.

car jackers in hotlanta don't mind openly showing.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus

Gus,

How much of that is being "too civilized", and how much is too much Nanny State?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t know if I consider “keep” and “bear” arms and CCW one in the same. But also don’t hear much about people crying the blues when they apply for CCW. It’s certianly a more intensive process.

So....why not replace the 4473 with it? Not only can you purchase the thing, you can load it, shove it in your back pocket, and walk out of the store.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus

Gus,

How much of that is being "too civilized", and how much is too much Nanny State?

my minority position is that one can carry anyway one so chooses, and please no tax or license required from the Nanny State.

but, as a left hander i know all about being in the minority, and how the majority always rules. (it's written right there in the rules.)

i've often seen open carry by a dude with another dude who is shopping for food at a food store. i guess it was a parole officer with a client.

i think we're dealing with public opinion, overall goodwill, and shifting mores' that is, our culture is shifting.

i know constitutional freedom didn't exist on us military bases in the early 70's, not even in freedom loving texasas.

get caught with a gun not stowed correctly, and chit creek would be the next stop.

that is, we've been moving in this direction a long long time, thanks to many gun owners support.

now, we're seeing more and more overt aspects of guns being person non grata. and so it is.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of folks around here OC, lots of them ranch folks, Wranglers, boots, cowboy hat and most likely a 1911 in a leather holster. I mean real ranch folks, not your urban cowboy type.

I think OC has been the norm around here for a long time and probably wont change anytime soon.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't get how you can call Texas "a freedom loving state" when you have to have a license to carry open or concealed, yet the so called "Liberal, New England Yankee States" of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are constitutional carry.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I don't get how you can call Texas "a freedom loving state" when you have to have a license to carry open or concealed, yet the so called "Liberal, New England yankee States" of Vermont and Maine are constitutional carry.

well there is that. but some say texas is turning blue, and some say it's not. so opinions are with us.

the leaders in my company at the hood, was one from calif. & one from alabama. liberals both.

ol bernie has a tight rope to walk. maybe why he's declining a bit in the polls, i don't know.

the gov't is pervasive. it represents us the taxpayers who work and pay taxes.

it represents a lot of folks who don't work, nor pay taxes. so it's inclusive?

around most towns, policemen use to tote blackjacks. pretty effective.

but, times change. state by state, community by community.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Almost seems like some of those Liberal New England Yankees are more "freedom loving" than Texans.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rarely, I run across somebody open carrying in a store . No one acts any differently .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Almost seems like some of those Liberal New England Yankees are more "freedom loving" than Texans.

like many states, texas has some pretty big urban centers: ft.worth-dallas, austin, houston, san antonio, others i'm sure.

i do believe texas is a bell-weather state. we know the flag is whipping in the wind.

look at castro and the dude from el paso. they're pointing the way from texas.

both running on far-left agenda's. who could have thought?

and in georgia, demo's in the hunt for a us senate seat.

gun owners who bow down to this trash says ok?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Since Open Carry became legal in TX 2 or 3 years ago, I can count the number of folks I’ve seen doing it on both hands.

It is VERY unlikely to see someone here doing it. And I live in a mostly rural area that is mostly farming and ranching country. And Very Conservative. And Very Republican.

And ALL OF THEM, have been the “please notice me” bubba types.

The wise folk here carry concealed.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Since Open Carry became legal in TX 2 or 3 years ago, I can count the number of folks I’ve seen doing it on both hands.

It is VERY unlikely to see someone here doing it. And I live in a mostly rural area that is mostly farming and ranching country. And Very Conservative. And Very Republican.

2-3 years ago? Open carry has been legal here since the 60’s. Concealed has only been around since 2005. Used to carry a 41 mag Blackhawk in a western rig while hunting all the time in the mid 70’s. Graduated to a GP100 in the late 80’s then to a 1911 in the mid 90’s. Still carry that 1911 plus a couple others today but concealed. The fewer that know, the better off I am.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

2-3 years ago? Open carry has been legal here since the 60’s. Concealed has only been around since 2005. Used to carry a 41 mag Blackhawk in a western rig while hunting all the time in the mid 70’s. Graduated to a GP100 in the late 80’s then to a 1911 in the mid 90’s. Still carry that 1911 plus a couple others today but concealed. The fewer that know, the better off I am.

BULLSCHITT. Open Carry in TEXAS hasn’t been legal since the 1890’s, until the new law passed a couple of years ago, when we amended our Concealed Carry Law to include Open Carry with a LICENSE.

The only exception was while hunting or fishing or shooting at a Range.
It wasn’t legal in Walmart or any public store. NOT IN TEXAS Period.

And that’s what this thread is about.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/10/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.