Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#14116385 09/10/19
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Another member, and I are discussing what it takes, and the advantages of, and the drawbacks of owning a place of your choice for hunting fishing, or both.
It's not simple, from securely, to cost, to maintenance , to taxes, and cutting grass, and more.

Any thoughts, want to share experiences, ideas?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my camp is my sanctuary. i can't imagine life without it. then again, i've had it my whole life. i highly recommend it.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I could swing it, I'd have a camp. Even if it was just a camper trailer on a small lot somewhere, I'd do it. I still hope to be able to buy some land up north, and have a place to get away to.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I highly recommend it.

The way life should be.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It could be as simple, or ornate as one likes, start plain, and grow from there.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A place to sit down indoors, and a cot. A covered space outside with a chair. No mud. No leaks.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Maybe someone who inheritted a lot of money will show us their 4500 SF cabin - lots of pictures please .

NOWHERE in the Southeast could a person have a cabin left unsupervised for an extended period of time , it would be robbed and destroyed as soon as the locals found out about it .

Yes it would be great to be able to have a cabin ir other things but as I've said since I was in my 20's - '' scumbag people ruin everything '' .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love our camp / I hate our camp. grin

To be fair it needed some work when we bought it and it took really 2 years. After that I enjoyed it for 5 years and hunted and fished from it and now I've spent this year getting it ready to sell. Mostly just stuff I've been saying I should do.

If you're still working and it will be a weekend place pick a few to go look at on a friday after work. Do you want to drive that distance? We started with 2 hours as OK but found 90 minutes was about right after a workday.

Don't make it another house with all the stuff you have at home. Slightly minimal. Wife filled the 800 square foot place with tablecloths and crap that belonged at home.

DO make it a place that is comfortable. You want to relax when you're there and not suffer.

If someone is looking for a camp in the Panhandle of WV. We'd keep it but the countdown clock to leaving MD is counting down and it's time to sell this in prep for the move.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've enjoyed ours.

But it's allot of work, time and money. Thankfully we have an uncle that lives close that keeps up with most of the mowing.

We really enjoy using it though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My cabins fun , 2.4 mile 4 wheeler ride to get to it ..with 1.9 miles of that a 15% grade..lol even the walkers dont show up ...twin clay launchers a guns and ammo make for good times !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my camp is mine. i decorate it. i decide what goes in it. its rudimentary. electric, both kinds of running water, shower, schitter, real basic kitchen and woodstove for heat. no a/c, no tv other than dvd's. deer horns and squirrel tails and critter skulls for decoration. smells like mildew, its dusty and full of cobwebs. furniture was mostly gotten from peoples curbs. mice have been known to inhabit it and the occasional black snake. pavillion out back with ripped up lazy boys and a bar and dart board. its in the woods and near a river but not much property. costs me about $1500 a year to run if nothing major breaks. wife doesn't really like it and thats fine. we have our stuff we do together and she understands the need for me and camp. took a decade or so but its all good now. i think she thought i was up there chasing women until she finally realized that i go there to get the fugg away from people. heading there thursday for a few days. going to build me some new sawhorses and split firewood for next winter. this winters wood has been seasoning in the wood crib since last year. probably drink a bottle of gin and a case of homebrew while tinkering. fugg, it don't get no better than camp.

My diploma is a DD214
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Wabigoon, ,I recall you having a place in town? That is nice too but if you have the land with a river or lake, you should build a small place of you own. I built a 24x24 cabin with a loft. It was a good size when we built it . We had 9 guys there opening day and it puttered out till it is just my son and I and now it could easily be 16x16 . I do very little work on it but it is 30 yrs old and showing some rot and pilasters are shifting. It is on a river but can't be seen form the river. It butts to public land that is rarely hunted. The taxes are 200 bucks so I likely will keep it cause it eats very little hay. I got the 7 ac. for 3K and another 3 K and the cabin was up. That is insanely cheap to have that for 6K and only have about 15K into it so it is very cheap . Now for the downside. It is 243 miles one way. I get up there less and less, only twice this year . There is little for deer and the fishing is fair at best and nothing like Ontario. The grouse , bear hunting is good , but bear tags are 8 yrs apart. The smallmouth fishing on the river is decent. Other than that is is all but worthless to have. My I hunt 4 miles from home now, see more deer, get more deer , can hop in the car , be in the stand, back out, done with a shower and back on 24 hr. in less time I could get to my cabin. I love my cabin but it has little use except to relax and catch a few bass in the summer.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Maybe someone who inheritted a lot of money will show us their 4500 SF cabin - lots of pictures please .

NOWHERE in the Southeast could a person have a cabin left unsupervised for an extended period of time , it would be robbed and destroyed as soon as the locals found out about it .

Yes it would be great to be able to have a cabin ir other things but as I've said since I was in my 20's - '' scumbag people ruin everything '' .

40 years ago my grandparents bought a tiny cabin on a lake in north Idaho. Really nice spot.

They paid around $20-30k.

The property is now worth +1 million.

If it were to ever be for sale the new owners would no doubt level the existing 'cabin'(which is pretty nice) and rebuild an uber house.

I hear you on the scumbags. It's not terrible bad here but you couldn't leave a nice little cabin unattended without someone trying to get in.

Last edited by SamOlson; 09/10/19.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jake, is that a shooting house?

Why is the stove pipe turned around?

Rain?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
1 hr drive from the homestead. 30 min in I cross the mountain and lose cell service. When I cross the mountain the weight of the world lifts off my back. Usually head over and mow every Sunday. Even for a few hours it recharges my batteries. No cable, no phone. DVD player, books, a hammock on the screen porch, corn hole, grill and fire pit. Wood stove for heat, no A.C. but open the windows and turn on the fan. Only place I feel stress free.
[Linked Image]
Kitchen, I built all the cabinets and tops.
[Linked Image]
Bathroom built to look like an outhouse
[Linked Image]
Loft over the two bunk rooms.
[Linked Image]
Me and the old man built it entirely. Subbed out the insulation only. Everything else done in house by us or my crews. Spent every weekend for 4 months on it.
I will make sure it stays in the family for eternity if possible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is super cool....

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by ol_mike

40 years ago my grandparents bought a tiny cabin on a lake in north Idaho. Really nice spot.

They paid around $20-30k.

The property is now worth +1 million.

If it were to ever be for sale the new owners would no doubt level the existing 'cabin'(which is pretty nice) and rebuild an uber house.

I hear you on the scumbags. It's not terrible bad here but you couldn't leave a nice little cabin unattended without someone trying to get in.

I live the gate open and half the time I forget to lock the doors.... Guess it doesnt help the demographics of the county are 5th least populated county east of the Mississippi and 99% snow white?
[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We bought our place in north Idaho, where Sam references but in the Cabinet's, in 2005 when we were living in Calgary and had no where to go home. My youngest and I will be there next spring chasing bears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed, how often does that place go unchecked?

You might be able to get away with once a month around here, for a while.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
No pictures but mine is a simple metal building on a 40x40’ slab. Take away 15x40’ for the garage with 10’ Garage doors on either end for equipment storage and the 10x25’ covered porch on front and back and you’re left with a 20x25’ bunk room. Concrete floor, T1-11 siding for interior walls, bathroom, tankless water heater, kitchenette, bunk beds to sleep six people (though we have never had more than 4 in it), grill and fire pit and it works great for our needs. Ceilings are something like 12’ In the bunk room so it feels bigger than it is.

Only an hour from home/office so it I use it to shower after the morning hunt before heading into the office more than i actually sleep there. Its perfect for us.

It sits near the entrance to our 350 acre property. When i bought it i had visions of leisure. Reality is that the land is 8 months of maintenance for 4 months of hunting. I wouldn’t trade it for anything and love every minute of the work, but the work and expense is significant to keep the place the way i want to.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.