Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Same here Raeford, I make note of trees within a radius of my deer stands.

I'll come back on a Saturday while my neice's dipshït boyfriend is deer hunting and run saws balls to the wall, drag logging chains intentionally across the front bucket of the loader, 😄

GB1

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by poboy
The City requires the permit from people on their chit list.

I don't live in the city ( thankfully) and I haven't pissed off the county.............................yet.......... laugh

or the local Fire Dept....................they like my 40'+ of cleared space around my house.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some municipalities are passing ordnances on persons with outdoor wood boilers like I have. They make too much smoke if you live in a subdivsion and try to operate one in your backyard.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I don't need to split anything below about 24" diameter. I can just roll the rounds off into the Heatmor and they 'dissolve'. I use a steel rail ramp so I dont have blow out a nut doing any lifting.

Would you happen to have a picture of your steel rail ramp? We're thinking of fabricating one for my son's place. His outdoor boiler will hold 5 foot logs, maybe even bigger, but the problem is lifting them and sliding in.

We were thinking of using conveyor belt rollers to roll the logs in.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Use my mahindra loader for wood now, drag everything to a staging area and saw it up into rounds.

I don't need to split anything below about 24" diameter. I can just roll the rounds off into the Heatmor and they 'dissolve'. I use a steel rail ramp so I dont have blow out a nut doing any lifting.

Since my 22 ton splitter went kaboom, I have been sawing the rounds lengthwise from the bark in. Made some nice white oak chunks.

I mostly cut red, white, burr oak, hickory.

[Linked Image]

Think I'm set for winter.

[Linked Image]

32" dbh hickory I had to quarter and cross section. Had some large white in this with it too.

[Linked Image]

Who is that azzhole looking dude in that bottom pic???
Fuggwad probably got zero experience running a saw I bet and probably just stood around offering " advice".....

That one of your cousin,s or BIL?
They always help ya out you dont they????

People buy firewood????

Glad I left maine.
Used ta have ta cut and split 8 or 10 tree lenght cords my father would have dumped in the yard beginning every august.
Fugging bought it as stumpage from some scumball french mutha fugga,s that would go scavenge clear cuts.
Schit was always jacked the fugg up......
Baby bro 1 yr behind me "scared" of running a saw.
Mommy and daddy fell for that schitt.....
Couldnt swing a maul worth a fugg either on purpose......IMO
So I would saw it all up.
Then his sole purpose was to sit on a butt log and stack a round on another for me to split.
And he would help stack it
Whooptefuggingdo god forbid if ya break a sweat todd.

And then throw in feeding a fugging wood boiler all the fugging time in the winter.
Dear old dad had funds for his beer and smokes.......
Didnt wants spend money on # 2 oil.....
Usually get it all done in about 2 weeks at my pace.
Always glad I got the fugg outta that state.
Between wood and shoveling a gravel driveway( cheap azz dad).

Only thing that fugging state has as far as I'm concerned is deer , bear ,and moose hunting.

Dad bought a 20 tn log splitter and started paying a guy with a f 250 to plow the driveway when I joined the army.

And they all wonder why I never came home for my 1st 7 years after joining the army.

My days of slave labor were done.
Dads log splitter took a schit after 2 yrs cause he had the mechanical aptitude of a high school cheerleader.
Hahahaha!!!!!
Fugging simple engine and hydro ram system.......
And then dad went to the # 2 heating oil furnace full time.
Musta cut into his beer and smoke budget big time.
Poor thing........

My dad invented the 1st tv remote control!!!!!!!
Took a 8 or 9 ft 1 inch hardwood dowel , cut a slot in one end to slide over the channel knob so he could turn it without leaving his recliner, hard for him to get it on when he was drunk so he duct taped it to the knob permanent after a couple of days.
He was so proud of it....
Fugging 9 ft dowel attached to the TV laying on a angle to his chair 24/7...

Thank god I had my 2 uncles and my grandfather on the Morrison side of the family for role models in my life.
Only thing I ever learned from my dad was he was lazy and a alcohloic that watched the boston red sox.
All 3 hated my dad and could never figure out why their sister and his daughter married the bum.

Cutting and splitting wood brings no nostalgia or good time memories for me.
This is what I think about firewood.....

Last edited by renegade50; 09/10/19.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some municipalities are passing ordnances on persons with outdoor wood boilers like I have. They make too much smoke if you live in a subdivsion and try to operate one in your backyard.

Outdoor boilers have been an issue here also.
I would like to get one, but I have multiple neighbors within 150 yards.
No laws or rules against it, just decency. It's not right to infringe on others
property. Fairly simple I think.

I do burn wood and some coal, it exits about 20 feet above ground level.
Bad enough on heavy air days. Had some Pittsburgh seam coal for awhile.
Great stuff, hot, burns well. Gassy and smokey though. No one complained,
but I didn't get it again.

Plus, the darn stuff gassed so bad it blew my clean out door open, twice.
Really shouldn't have used it in a house. Knew that when I bought it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I almost talked myself into an outdoor burner when we built our house. Then a neighbor who has one suggested I skip buying one.
He said do you really want to spend $12-15k to save $400-500 a year in natural gas costs and also have to feed it 24/7?
Smart neighbor.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe

Except I don't have natural gas, unless I want spend $70 a ft for 1/4 mile worth of 2" steel main extension, an engineer's set of design plans, an easment, a 20ft bore and jack under the paved road, a service tap, and 280 ft of copper service line.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Morewood

Would you happen to have a picture of your steel rail ramp? We're thinking of fabricating one for my son's place. His outdoor boiler will hold 5 foot logs, maybe even bigger, but the problem is lifting them and sliding in.

We were thinking of using conveyor belt rollers to roll the logs in.

Sending a PM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe

Except I don't have natural gas, unless I want spend $70 a ft for 1/4 mile worth of 2" steel main extension, an engineer's set of design plans, an easment, a 20ft bore and jack under the paved road, a service tap, and 280 ft of copper service line.

Wow! Why so much? My contractor only charged about $3k to install about 575 feet of line from the main road (where the gas line was) to our house. A day on the ditch digger was the hardest part and a few zig zags among the trees. But that was a little over 4 years ago.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Main extensions are serious bidness.

Sometimes if you can rally your neighbors and get about 4-5 households to agree to take the service and post a $50 application fee, *sometimes* the gas co can either waive it, absorb it, or get some capitol grant projects money to cover the main ext part.

Problem is I don't have enough neighbors that want gas. Two new homes recently built went all electric. One was my cousin, half the family thinks that chit is voodoo. SMH

I would sure like to get nat gas eventually, I'm getting old. lol

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I almost talked myself into an outdoor burner when we built our house. Then a neighbor who has one suggested I skip buying one.
He said do you really want to spend $12-15k to save $400-500 a year in natural gas costs and also have to feed it 24/7?
Smart neighbor.

Not a bad choice when you have heated floors and unlimited firewood.

[Linked Image]

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

$250 a cord, even Canadian, sounds like a good price up there. Heck of a nice way to make a living too, out in the woods and such, working for yourself instead of the "man".

I laugh at folks that call a small pick up load a cord. The math to figure it out, and the internet to get the dimensions, make it too easy for any half smart person to determine who's scammin' who.

Enjoy your woodcutting season.

Geno

Thanks, I think I will enjoy myself cutting wood like others here, I heat with wood too, its either that or electricity, we dont have gas here where I'm at. So it costs me nothing to heat the house with all the wood around here.

I figure the trick is to not get hurt, sounds simple but ....thats why I go for the splitter now, my elbows dont like using a maul and its hard on the knees too. I can only do 1 cord a day now...fall, drag out, buck, split, load, ....I used to do 2 cords when I was 25 years old, difference.. now at 56 there is no stress.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reckon this is another regional thing. I'm fourth of 6 generations now in Idaho, and back to my great grandpa, and all of our contemporaries "rick" is a verb,..as in "rick up that load of wood,or "Today we're gonna rick the hay in the south pasture."

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Guessing it is regional. I think Field Grade and I picked on some of the guys last year for sayin' stuff like "I split a rick of wood today". What the heck is a "rick"? A cord is 128 cu ft, forever and always. Easy to figure out, easy enough to measure. But a "rick" ????

Never heard your local usage, which would seem to mean "to put up" or "to stack" some material item....... That doesn't sound too far off of the only usage I had ever hear which was something along the lines of "We're going to burn a rick of wood to make charcoal", as in "burn a stack of wood".

Common usage isn't always common.....................in other areas.

Of course, where I live, and the way I say it................................is the RIGHT way. grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rick
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/rick
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/rick

My Grandpa (that I call Grandad) only went to the 4th grade, but my wife's, that I actually call "Grandpa" has a Masters from Stanford.
They both used the above lexicon...
Love this stuff!!!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Journeyman,

thanks for digging those up.

Using those, it's pretty settled then, that there is no real volume of any substance put up in a rick.

Nice to know...................................that basically................................I'm right again whistle

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,693
Posts18,456,598
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.