24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4 of us hunted from an old Airstream trailer for about 10 years. Propane stove, a 5 gal bucket shower and the outhouse made it just dandy.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We have one in the bush.

It is a lot of work and maintenance. Especially given that it is so difficult to get to, we can't just run there for a weekend to take on a project. Things have to be planned out long in advance. And when you do go, you need to be prepared to deal with whatever you might find when you get there after the cabin has been sitting empty for months.

Great escape when we can get there. My son loves it and I love taking him there. But it would be nice if it were closer.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Maybe someone who inheritted a lot of money will show us their 4500 SF cabin - lots of pictures please .

NOWHERE in the Southeast could a person have a cabin left unsupervised for an extended period of time , it would be robbed and destroyed as soon as the locals found out about it .

Yes it would be great to be able to have a cabin ir other things but as I've said since I was in my 20's - '' scumbag people ruin everything '' .

Guess I can't show our place(s) since we earned our money...

We've owned our place in Alabama for 4 years now, just completed construction/remodeling last year. Based on the internet data logging of our security system, we've never once even had an intruder, let alone a break and enter-er...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife's folks had a cabin in a Forest Service lease on Eagle Lake near Susanville CA. Had it for 40 years. They would go up there every weekend in the summer and work on the cabin. Next weekend, work on the cabin. On and on, always something that "had to be done". They passed away and the grandson sold it. Good riddance.

My wife and I had 100 acres near Atlantic City WY, we had a beautiful 10 acre patch of thick aspens where we built a one-unit RV park, complete with gravel pad and sewer dump. had my own 100 yard shooting range. Had a 34 foot 5th wheel with solar for power, we just left it up there all summer, it was our cabin in the mountains, , we would bring it down in the winter so we didn't have to worry about it. Never had any breakins in 28 years, nor did any of the other people on that particular mountain. Had to sell the whole shebang this spring due to health concerns, lot of tears shed over that deal.

Anyway, I would never build a cabin, too dang much trouble keeping it up. The trailer worked just fine for us.
We have people moving in here from California and the East Coast who buy 5 acres outside of town and build a palatial 6000 square foot log home which they ostentasously call their "cabin" any time they are talking to the locals. eek

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Then there is the foundation, Basement, posts, poles, blocks, footing, many ways to do it.

This has come into my life in the last few days. Going in on it with a son/brother......no blood relative but he and his family are special to me.

He just finished a Post and Beam bard doing YouTube videos as he did.
He did buy a few logs. But the milling and building he did.
Did a great job and will do two builds on the cabins on the property.

He calls it it off grid. Lol. He is 40......I’m pushing 70. I call it “going to camp”

Thinking on Ontario. He still has a job so can work maybe a week at a time.

I’ll throw and prep the logs for the cabins. He will do the fine work.

Like wabigoon said.........many ways to go. I’ll have a more complete kitchen in mine for longer stays.

Looking at what lumber we can take into Canada.......locust sills would be nice.

Lots to look at.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 09/11/19.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Off the grid.

[Linked Image]

that don't look like Texas!

That’s Mayhill/Cloudcroft

that would be tough to leave. a real beauty.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Off the grid.

[Linked Image]

that don't look like Texas!

That’s Mayhill/Cloudcroft

One of our favorite places.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I live in a bit of a shack....does that count?

A shack is good... smile

Warm and dry is what counts.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Cut grass at your cabin???

Doooood!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just got started on construction on ours. Currently have an RV pad with electric, water, septic. Hope to pull the trailer out in early November and camp inside the cabin. 😎

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another member, and I are discussing what it takes, and the advantages of, and the drawbacks of owning a place of your choice for hunting fishing, or both.
It's not simple, from securely, to cost, to maintenance , to taxes, and cutting grass, and more.

Any thoughts, want to share experiences, ideas?

I have a few I rent, from time to time. I think my deal is better than owning.

Texas
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[Linked Image]

youse guys have houses - I have a cabin! smile. It is only a 700 mile drive and 50 mile boat trip away...

First thing I bought once I had a job fresh out of college. Priorities! Unfortunately, we "settled" a bit away. Earning a living ucks!- retired now.....

Running water (at the river), outhouse (tarped frame) , wood heat/cooking. Splurged om a propane tank for a light, also use Coleman double nmantal linterns and kerosene lamps.

[Linked Image]

shower

[Linked Image]

I have a big black bear that thinks under the front overhang is a dandy place to bed. I'm OK with that- he keeps the more destructive ones away. We have an understanding....but he gets a might put out when we are in residence....

Last edited by las; 09/11/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After many doubts I bought my cabin eleven years ago. Best thing I ever did. I use it as a refuge year round.
Besides the cost of the cabin itself, I spend around twenty thousand a year in utilities, maintenance and taxes.
So it’s not a cheap date.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
This is mine. I bought the land on side job money for 3k and another 3K for the cabin in July 1989, when I was 26. It has been over 30 yrs now. It isn't much but that keeps the taxes at 200 a yr. and very little maintenance. https://imgur.com/FHBJV0d

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here is mine. Its off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. I dont get to go as often as I like but it gets lots of visitors

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then there is the foundation, Basement, posts, poles, blocks, footing, many ways to do it.

Or dirt floor, just piss in the corner like Abraham Lincoln.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
😆🤪

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
For us, friends, and a good neighbor is priceless. Someone keeping an eye on things when you can't.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunting/Fishing Cabin...Beats a tent when it’s 55 mph wind and raining like Niagra Falls in November...😎

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a shop where the real work get’s done...Like drinking. 😉

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
😆🤪

Then there's the roofing, the kettles, the pots, black mammie, you know...the hot shït.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.