Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Weller 12 used to be a hell of a good deal before the whiskey boom. Same for the Antique 107 when it was in this package and still aged 7 years.

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by semi
Try woodford reserve. Also buffalo trace for a cheaper option.

i have been down the bourbon trail a few times. Expensive doesn't always mean the best tasting.

Interesting that you named these two, they are the only two that I didn't care enough for to purchase a second time.
It is indeed interesting how each persons taste buds are unique.

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a friend who learned to make whiskey from his grandfather in the northeast Georgia mountains back in the late 1940's. He still makes a little of it today, in a hand-crafted 15 gallon copper pot still, with "white dent" corn that's been grown from the same heirloom seed stock they planted over a hundred years ago- - - -no hybrids or GMO's in sight! His secret is sprouting the corn in a burlap sack in running spring water before drying and grinding it- - - -"Malting" like the base grains for Scotch whiskey are processed. The Scot-Irish pioneers who settled in the Appalchain mountains in the mid-1700's brought their whiskey-making skills to America with them, and simply substituted grains that were readily available to them to do their distilling. The Whiskey Rebellion was fought over that kind of booze, and if it's made right it's still better than most commercial stuff. My friend definitely "makes it right"!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
EH Taylor is another Buffalo Trace bourbon that I like a lot. They don’t have the age on it, so it’s probably only 6. In my opinion the best Pappy is the 10. Sometimes to long in the Barrel ain’t good in my opinion.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I took the Buffalo Trace tour a few years ago we were told Weller and Pappy had the same mash bill. I have at least one bottle of most all of the antique collection but for the money I'll take Blanton's. I don't drink my collectibles as there's plenty of stuff as good but much cheaper. I mentioned earlier in the thread Four Roses, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. Very good bourbon and very reasonable.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
EH Taylor is another Buffalo Trace bourbon that I like a lot. They don’t have the age on it, so it’s probably only 6. In my opinion the best Pappy is the 10. Sometimes to long in the Barrel ain’t good in my opinion.

EH Taylor is indeed a good bourbon. They have several different releases. 4 Grain seems to be the rarest and the local store will only get 3 bottles a year. I can find the Small Batch easily and keep a bottle on hand. They also have a EH Taylor Rye and Single Barrel that are really good. If you ever see a Warehouse C Tornado release, pick it up. The roof of that warehouse was torn off by a tornado years ago and left the barrels exposed to the elements so they got a little extra aging.

Buffalo Trace has 4 basic mash bills. Weller is the same as Pappys, just doesn't make the cut to be Pappys so they turn it into Weller's Special Reserve, Antique, or 12 year.

Bartons makes some cheap bourbon and it is not one that I would normally drink, but they had a warehouse collapse last year and will most likely have a collapsed warehouse release. I will be looking for that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Weller 12 used to be a hell of a good deal before the whiskey boom. Same for the Antique 107 when it was in this package and still aged 7 years.

[Linked Image]

107 was by far my favorite "cheaper" bourbon. Too bad it's all but disappeared around here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I started drinking a little bourbon and Whiskey last spring. I drink them straight or neat in a snifter glass. So far I would say that Evan Williams Black is pretty hard to beat for the price.
[Linked Image]

Good Gawd..........You have to ruin such a nice collection of whiskies by putting a bottle of that fahqin' Fireball garbage in with it. WTF is wrong with people?

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I live in Bourbon country. It was invented here. But I don't drink it.

The smoothest brown corn based liquor I've ever drank is Royal Canadian Mist blended whiskey.

It's smooth enough to cause you to make a damn fool of yourself if you don't watchit.

Figures a lefty would drink a Canadian blended Whiskey. Once again proving they have no taste!

https://thewhiskeyjug.com/canadian-whiskey/canadian-mist-review/
A great review...

SHARES
Canadian Mist Review

I’m struggling to find any redeeming qualities in Canadian Mist. I’m also struggling to figure out why, besides being dirt cheap, this is America’s best selling Canadian Whisky and how in the hell it’s won so many gold medals. I’m flabbergasted at the stark difference between what I’m experiencing and the general consensus of America on this one. Maybe I really am a whisky snob…

Made from a blend of grain whisky (corn, rye and malted barley), rye whiskey, a “touch” of sherry that doesn’t seem to do anything at all for this whisky and “matured to taste” in ex-bourbon barrels this whisky is a slow-motion train wreck of cloying notes. The site, and related marketing, leans heavily on lightness in flavor and the whisky’s complete lack of bite as selling points and maybe that’s where the general American public and I diverge. I want bold flavors and aromas with depth, richness and complexity that’s bolstered by complimentary subtle notes that is a pleasure to drink neat despite any bite it might have. I don’t want to lay down hard earned dollars for spineless whisky.

CANADIAN MIST INFO

Region: Ontario, Canada

Distiller: Canadian Mist
ABV: 40%

Price: $9 (got mine on close-out for $4)

CANADIAN MIST REVIEW

EYE
Yellow caramel

NOSE
Sickly medicinal and caramel heavy followed by watery butterscotch, waxy candy corn and artificial sweetener run rampant. An astringent, cleaner like, overripe citrus mixes with root beer taffy in the background and a turpentine underpinning holds everything up.

PALATE
Same medicinal caramel and overripe, cleaner like, citrus blend with some burnt toffee and raw grain. A thick note of raw alcohol and butterscotch limp their way over the palate dragging something oily, dirty and mechanical behind them.

BALANCE, BODY & FEEL
The sickly medicinal quality knocks this one on it’s side and the sticky syrupy feel and light body make it boring and uneventful, but at least their marketing is 100% accurate. There is absolutely no bite in this dram, it’s like drinking water.

FINISH
Again that medicinal caramel rears is cloying head and is accompanied by artificial sweetener and a watery maple syrup that lasts for far too long.

OVERALL
Canadian Mist is among the worst whiskies I have ever tasted. It’s like a borderline rancid bourbon was mixed with a bunch of artificial flavors, put in BPA riddled plastic jugs and left out in the Nevada desert to be eroded by the sun for a year before bottling. Everything smells and tastes young, raw, bleached out and artificial. It’s just not very good. Hell, even the MIST enthusiasts seem to prefer it mixed with something, anything, else and that friends, isn’t exactly what I’d call a good sign.

SCORE: 65/100

CANADIAN MIST REVIEW - SCORE BREAKDOWN
Nose - 65
Palate - 65
Finish - 65
Balance, Body & Feel - 65

Value
Let’s put to this way… I wouldn’t even pay $1 for another bottle of Canadian Mist.

USER REVIEW
3.19 (21 votes)

I never met a Canadian beer I didn't like. I have yet to meet a Canadian whiskey that I can stand. Canada just isn't a whiskey making nation........Which is a shame considering their grain growing capacity. Perhaps they should start a distillers exchange program where they can study under the expert toot ledge of learned Appalachian, whiskey-making hill folk.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kinda' what Brisco mentioned.

straight corn wiskey

NOT BOURBON !!!!!

Last edited by TERRY8mm; 09/09/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stevelyn
[quote=1911a1]I started drinking a little bourbon and Whiskey last spring. I drink them straight or neat in a snifter glass. So far I would say that Evan Williams Black is pretty hard to beat for the price.
[Linked Image]

Good Gawd..........You have to ruin such a nice collection of whiskies by putting a bottle of that fahqin' Fireball garbage in with it. WTF is wrong with people?

My son gave that to me. That said I don't mind the taste that bad but it is still too sweet.

The Scotch in there called Monkey Shoulder has great reviews, but to me the taste is kinda weird. I much prefer the Chivas and Johnnie Walker black.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Processed sugar was rationed as recently as WW2 in America.

My mom told me about how her uncle bought a 5lb bag on the black market and hid it in his closet. She was threatened with an ass whuppin' if she told anybody about it.

My grandpa owned a bakery in Burns Oregon during the war. He was selling baked goods to an army outfit near there. As such he could get sugar (and yeast) when it was rationed. He sold some to local bootleggers. The army muckity-mucks looked the other way for a cut of the finished product..

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eagle Rare all the way! And I also drink Buffalo Trace. Weller 107 and 12-yr old and Blantons are impossible to find nowadays. And Eagle Rare is not on allocation, but they deliver it every 3rd week of the month here.....so I know when to look.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

As a good Baptist I'll give that an honest Amen to that; as I sip a dram of good Ezra Brooks "swill". Positive beyond doubt it pleases my buds and swill ever so gently ease me into tonight's dreams. grins.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootem

As a good Baptist I'll give that an honest Amen to that; as I sip a dram of good Ezra Brooks "swill". Positive beyond doubt it pleases my buds and swill ever so gently ease me into tonight's dreams. grins.

I drank a fifth of Ezra Brooks a couple of months back. It probably took me about two weeks to consume it. It was okay but not one of my top picks. I wasn't aware Buffalo Trace distilled it. Buffalo Trace is okay but again, not a top pick. It was the darling of the 'fire about five years back. IMO it's mainly because it has a cool label. It is passable though and not expensive when bought at Sam's or the like.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
4 roses, eagle rare, elijah craig, buffalo trace in no particular order, all decently drinkable. But I definitely prefer a good scotch when I can afford it.

3-7-77
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bluedot
4 roses, eagle rare, elijah craig, buffalo trace in no particular order, all decently drinkable. But I definitely prefer a good scotch when I can afford it.

Please elaborate.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Best affordable scotches I like are Glenmorangie Lasanta, Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr, Lagavulin 16 yr, and something a little more affordable for everyday is Singleton Glenndullan 12 yr old.

I like bourbon but truly prefer scotch.

3-7-77
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Balvenie and Lagavulin are well known to me, I really enjoy them both. I have Glenmorangie Original and Nectar D'Or in my cabinet, love them too. I haven't tried the Lasanta yet, and I'll keep an eye out for the Glendullan.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Turkey 101 is surprising good budget bourbon

this

I haven't had any in a good while, at least one packaging change ago, but the 101 Rye was really good too.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 89 invisible), 2,844 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.