Ok, that's bad ass.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have imported dry, bark free lumber. Always call ahead to Canadian customs first.

That inside outhouse is clever.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Las wins the cabin contest so far......

Mine is a bit rustic inside but I manage........ smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a big black bear that thinks under the front overhang is a dandy place to bed. I'm OK with that- he keeps the more destructive ones away. We have an understanding....but he gets a might put out when we are in residence....

LOL. Have you tried building him an overhang 100 feet off in the woods to hang out, while you are there? Seems like he would appreatiate that.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Another member, and I are discussing what it takes, and the advantages of, and the drawbacks of owning a place of your choice for hunting fishing, or both.
It's not simple, from securely, to cosst, to maintenance , to taxes, and cutting grass, and more.

Any thoughts, want to share experiences, ideas?

See “thread” on EMP! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Cabins/camps/shacks. It can be a little work but it aint all bad.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is what happens when you fail to maintain your cabin.... frown

[Linked Image]

Last edited by irfubar; 09/11/19.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
[Linked Image]

youse guys have houses - I have a cabin! smile. It is only a 700 mile drive and 50 mile boat trip away...

First thing I bought once I had a job fresh out of college. Priorities! Unfortunately, we "settled" a bit away. Earning a living ucks!- retired now.....

Running water (at the river), outhouse (tarped frame) , wood heat/cooking. Splurged om a propane tank for a light, also use Coleman double nmantal linterns and kerosene lamps.

[Linked Image]

shower

[Linked Image]

I have a big black bear that thinks under the front overhang is a dandy place to bed. I'm OK with that- he keeps the more destructive ones away. We have an understanding....but he gets a might put out when we are in residence....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's what it looked like when we closed on it just after 9/11/2001:

[Linked Image]

It had not been occupied since 1982.

After several years of renovation, a small tornado, and a new roof, this is what it looked like:

[Linked Image]

Am I glad I did it? You bet.

I never hooked up to the county water, even though they ran a pipe down to the place in 2003. It's easier to collect rainwater in a cistern and use that. The reason is that I can shut off the water and drain it back into the cistern and never have to worry about the pipes freezing.

As soon as we can manage it, KYHillChick and I are retiring there permanently.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Kind of interesting here to notice the differences in what passes for a cabin in different parts of the country. Some of you have posted your "cabins" that are what we here in Wyoming would call a nice home. Guess maybe we are more backwoodsy than others. laugh

Last edited by jnyork; 09/11/19.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
So what make a cabin from a cottage, or a house?

Its all in your own attitude about it, I think anyway. I have to (get to) go out and mow tomorrow. Fix a couple of things and drive back home. 3 hours each way. And it will be the best #$(*& day of the whole week.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Maybe someone who inheritted a lot of money will show us their 4500 SF cabin - lots of pictures please .

NOWHERE in the Southeast could a person have a cabin left unsupervised for an extended period of time , it would be robbed and destroyed as soon as the locals found out about it .

Yes it would be great to be able to have a cabin ir other things but as I've said since I was in my 20's - '' scumbag people ruin everything '' .

Well, I have inherited in my lifetime less than $10,000 and that was from a great aunt and at her insistence, we spent that on furnishing a house we had just purchased rather than saving and investing it.

I bought our cabin by working my a$s off over the years so that when an opportunity came up, I could make the most of it. So, I am sorry you can't help but be envious, but not everyone had their stuff handed to them.

Our cabin is in the bush. AKA the wilderness. It is a 900+ mile drive from here into northern SK and then either a 4-5 lake canoe trip in with portages or a floatplane ride into.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by las
[Linked Image]

youse guys have houses - I have a cabin! smile. It is only a 700 mile drive and 50 mile boat trip away...

First thing I bought once I had a job fresh out of college. Priorities! Unfortunately, we "settled" a bit away. Earning a living ucks!- retired now.....

Running water (at the river), outhouse (tarped frame) , wood heat/cooking. Splurged om a propane tank for a light, also use Coleman double nmantal linterns and kerosene lamps.

That is what I worry about finding every time we fly in. There was a dead tree a ways away that I wanted to cut down this year but I was short of time and the wind was blowing the wrong direction at the time. Hoping we can get to it next year.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
I think Las wins the cabin contest so far......

Mine is a bit rustic inside but I manage........ smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Slumming here would be just fine. 👍🏻😉😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Maybe someone who inheritted a lot of money will show us their 4500 SF cabin - lots of pictures please .

NOWHERE in the Southeast could a person have a cabin left unsupervised for an extended period of time , it would be robbed and destroyed as soon as the locals found out about it .

Yes it would be great to be able to have a cabin ir other things but as I've said since I was in my 20's - '' scumbag people ruin everything '' .

Well, I have inherited in my lifetime less than $10,000 and that was from a great aunt and at her insistence, we spent that on furnishing a house we had just purchased rather than saving and investing it.

I bought our cabin by working my a$s off over the years so that when an opportunity came up, I could make the most of it. So, I am sorry you can't help but be envious, but not everyone had their stuff handed to them.

Our cabin is in the bush. AKA the wilderness. It is a 900+ mile drive from here into northern SK and then either a 4-5 lake canoe trip in with portages or a floatplane ride into.

I was thinking about a family member who never helped a deceased family member [4-5 years ago] until the last month of his life - then got everything . Then built Log Mansion which he & she post pictures of and tell EVERYBODY about .
I inheritted exactly $9,995 - tax purposes gift etc. , I'm not envious of anybody - just a little irritating when someone who never did anything for anybody gets it all . And I don't need anything but a few young folks [30ish] who did A LOT over the years came up empty handed .
Carry on ...

Last edited by ol_mike; 09/11/19.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just bought mine 1.5 years ago. Bought a 93 acre farm with a run down mobile home as "deer camp". If anyone tells you it's easy and no work, they're not telling you the truth. In the last year, I've renovated a mobile home, had bulldozer work done, rebuilt barn doors, maintain fencing, bush hog, re-installed a back door, cut firewood and maintained a yard every 2 weeks. This is for a weekend residence and while maintaining a primary residence and family.

You're starting by out right by asking questions. There's a lot to it if it include maintaining property.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a cabin building fool, yes that is what some acquaintances and relatives think. It's my wife's fault because she came home from a garage sale with Calvin Rutstrum's book THE WILDERNESS CABIN.

1st cabin was a 2 bedroom built with pine logs squared up at a local saw mill. Had electricity, sand point well and hand pump and outhouse.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2nd cabin was single room 12'x16' with two open lean-to. No electricity, no running water, outhouse.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Grandad enjoying the heat from the just installed Round Oak stove.
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is a lot to it. For us, totally worth it. There are some headaches but I tend to forget all of my other headaches when I'm there. And that makes it worth it.

We looked for a long time, at many properties. We bought a fantastic property at a bargain because we were knowledgeable on the market and ready to buy. We rent ours to vacationers and to a huge degree it cash flows and provides some tax benefits. Value goes up all the time.

Painful every time to leave the place but found out by accident that blowing Shambala loudly out the pickup windows helps ease it. Even the dogs howl along.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3rd cabin, electricity, spring nearby and outhouse. 16'x20' one room with 9'x16' loft.
[Linked Image]

I even have a cabin-like home on the farm.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
In addition to log cabins, I built at log horse barn.
[Linked Image]
So maybe I am not a cabin fool. but I am log building fool.

Last edited by roundoak; 09/11/19.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We’ll be building 2 cabins. Makes life easier.

He will film them for YouTube. He is on The tradesman Channel. The Post and Beam guy. Does a good video. No BS and shows his mistakes

In my cabin I will make some concessions to strictly conventional.......SS lagbolts......infact all SS hardware that I can find.

And a screened in porch. Love sleeping outside.

South facing solar panels on a step roof to keep the batteries charged thru the winter for the LED lights.
No frozen batteries that way.

Dry well........composting toilet instead of an outhouse..........things that make life easier.

Solar hot water for outside shower........

Wood cookstove and kerosene lanterns with propane ......my cabin will have a bigger more complete kitchen. He will need the room for family in his.

And a nice kitchen will make his wife happy when I’m not there. Or when I’m there.

More study.......keeping this thread on top.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 09/11/19.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,901 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.