Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I've seen various videos that show brush blade equipped string trimmers cutting, I have no doubt that they will do the job. But I was wondering what size motors they had. Like I said, the Yard Boss has a 27cc motor. Picture a small roto tiller with a brush cutter blade poking out on the front of it. That's what it looks like when so equipped.

I'm mostly wondering if a Stihl 27cc 2 stroke motor has enough butt to run a brush cutter blade.

GB1

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Here's a video of it with the string trimmer attachment. What I'm thinking about is one set up just like this, except with a circular brush cutting blade. I just don't know if it's got enough motor.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Stihl FS250 (40,2cc engine). I have used the circular saw blade (the one that can be sharpened with a chainsaw file). I can easily cut down saplings as big around as my wrist. Most of my brush cutting has been with the 3 bladed brush knife. It not any handles heavy weeds, but also cuts saplings as big around as my thumb.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The FS 91 is a 28cc engine and they use a blade on that model.

Here's a link you can use to compare models and engine sizes.

Link.

Here's a link for the FS 91.

Link

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 12344mag
The FS 91 is a 28cc engine and they use a blade on that model.

Here's a link you can use to compare models and engine sizes.

Link.

Here's a link for the FS 91.

Link

Yeah,....the 27cc motor is about 1/10 hp down from the 28cc motor.

I think the Yard Boss would work as a brush cutting tool. But you'd probably have to let it eat instead of just zinging through a 2 inch limb like a 40cc machine would.

I'm pondering whether I was to spend the money for it. By the time I get it outfitted like I want I'm going to have about $550-$600 in it. I called the local dealer and asked if I could buy it without the tiller head. He said no,.....that's the way they come.

I'd feel better about dropping that much on it if it had a 35-40cc motor instead of the 27.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Try one of these with the beaver blade,
https://www.drpower.com/Power-Equipment/Trimmer-Mowers/Walk-Behind/DR-Trimmer-Mower/p/TR45187BEN

They will cut most any brush up to 4-5”.
Ronnie

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Another vote for the tri-blade. It is an absolute monster in thick field grass and brush up to 3/4". I can sweep it up and down to face the brush encroaching on my driveway and
use it like a scythe in low brush and grass.
It doesn't cut thick brush as well as the circular blades but spools up a lot quicker.
I use it without the guard(I know, I know) so I need a full face shield. It slings stuff everywhere.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I thought about the Dr. Power trimmers. There's a lot of manufacturers that make a wheeled string trimmer that's very similar but much less costly. But none of them offer a circular cutting blade for them.

I've been reading up on all of them and the best I can figure is,..it's a liability issue. An exposed circular blade on a wheeled carriage must make the company lawyers nervous.

You know some idiot is going to run up and cut their kid's leg off with one of them eventually.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That thing better have an ignition lockout device. Be out there all hammered and chit and saw your foot off. grin

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Fugawe
Another vote for the tri-blade. It is an absolute monster in thick field grass and brush up to 3/4". I can sweep it up and down to face the brush encroaching on my driveway and
use it like a scythe in low brush and grass.
It doesn't cut thick brush as well as the circular blades but spools up a lot quicker.
I use it without the guard(I know, I know) so I need a full face shield. It slings stuff everywhere.

I want something that will cut through a 3" diameter honeysuckle stump. I know the big hand held brush cutters will do the job. But they'll work the hell out of ya. I want something that can be rolled along.

That Stihl Yard Boss outfitted with a brush cutter blade is as good as I've found. But they need more motor to go at what I need to tackle.

This outfit here would do the job if it had a spindle that would accept a 10" circular blade. But like I said, they won't sell it with that capability.

If I still had access to a machine shop I know I could rig one up.

But that's that old "iff'n game".

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...9j4bK5AIVkSCtBh1weAPcEAQYByABEgIsg_D_BwE

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A tri-blade/brush knife will cut circles around the sawtooth blade. Have both and the sawtooth blade will sit and rust away. The tri-blade goes through stuff like butter.

Last edited by tansinator; 09/11/19.

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
They still make blades for the Echo Bearcat, which essentially are what you talking about possibly doing with that Cub Cadet.

https://sleequipment.com/echo-bearc...KbNJBblv5B1vHNYRoVqU2I3MZ9hoCRckQAvD_BwE

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by fburgtx
They still make blades for the Echo Bearcat, which essentially are what you talking about possibly doing with that Cub Cadet.

(!)

That's what I've been looking for!

Now I've got to find where to buy one.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That dr trimmer has a spring loaded bail that has to be held down to engage the cutter, let go and blade stops. Using the string on it makes weed eating easy. I have an old one that’s about 16 years or more older, the Briggs needs rebuilding or replacing. Good thing about them is you don’t have to carry them.
Ronnie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tansinator
A tri-blade/brush knife will cut circles around the sawtooth blade. Have both and the sawtooth blade will sit and rust away. The tri-blade goes through stuff like butter.

Tool meet job.

A tri-blade is the tool if the work is heavy grass.

It will beat your machine and you to death if you are cutting wood.

A circular saw type blade is the tool for wood. Grass doesn't offer enough
resistance to get cut by one. It just bends. Dad made one from a saw blade.
Saplings, berry vines, woody type brush, it just destroys.

No experience with the chainsaw tooth type. It would be easy to sharpen though.
Honestly I think it wouldn't be as good as a blade. Too thick, too much kerf.
Wasting energy making chips, all you need is to cut.

If you want to play with these type cutters, you need handlebars and the safety
shroud for a blade installed on your machine.

A metal blade is serious business. If it kicks off something or you just contact
your feet/legs, it's gonna get nasty, right quick.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Bristoe

(!)

That's what I've been looking for!

Now I've got to find where to buy one.

The DR Trimmer might be a bit easier to find, and they have a blade kit for it, too. (A little pricy)...

https://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/trimmer-mowers/accessories/blades

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by tansinator

Tool meet job.

A tri-blade is the tool if the work is heavy grass.

It will beat your machine and you to death if you are cutting wood.

A circular saw type blade is the tool for wood. Grass doesn't offer enough
resistance to get cut by one. It just bends. Dad made one from a saw blade.
Saplings, berry vines, woody type brush, it just destroys.

No experience with the chainsaw tooth type. It would be easy to sharpen though.
Honestly I think it wouldn't be as good as a blade. Too thick, too much kerf.
Wasting energy making chips, all you need is to cut.

If you want to play with these type cutters, you need handlebars and the safety
shroud for a blade installed on your machine.

A metal blade is serious business. If it kicks off something or you just contact
your feet/legs, it's gonna get nasty, right quick.

the

Disagree! 2 inch saplings are what I was cutting through along with privet on the side of a mountain and the sawblade wouldn't do close to what the tri blade would do!

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I’ve got an older Stihl FS250, which is 40cc, that I picked up at a pawn shop for $80. It has handlebars and a harness.

Its probably mine. laugh

I had one of those walk off a few years ago and it still ticks me off. I think I left it under my carport overnight in what I thought was a good neighborhood....it was one of those deals where in my mind I thought I had put it away but didn't. Its a middle age thing. Didn't even realize it was gone until the next time I cut grass and was like "where's my dang weedeater". Come to find out later a few sophisticated urbanites were cruising the neighborhood nabbing nice stuff like that which idiots such as myself left available to them. They were probably magnetized to Stihl orange. A guy a few streets over who works nights saw one of them trying to walk off with his neighbor's lawn mower that he left in his front yard while taking a break and chased him away. I think the cops finally got them.

I bought it to keep up trails and clear areas for little food plots. Got a tractor and only used it for trimming afterwards......the world's most powerful one....or close to it.

But I agree with everything else in your post. I had a saw blade, three fingered cutter, and "polycut mowing head" which has string and plastic cutters for stuff a little heavier than grass. Actually I still have those but my smaller model Stihl is not strong enough for anything but the polycut. All work well and yes the handlebars are probably a good idea when using a saw blade.

I thought about buying a new 250 and leaving it out while hiding in the bushes with a 12 gauge.....but I reckon that would have been against the law.....baiting and whatnot.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/11/19.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
This looks like da chit.

I'm going to have fun with this thing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
,...on string trimmers?

Stihl makes a tool called a "Yard Boss" with a 27cc 2 stroke motor. It comes with a small tiller head that I'm not interested in. But it can also be fitted with a string trimmer head that will accept a circular brush cutting blade. The rig has fairly wide set handlebars and can be outfitted with an optional pair of wheels. It seems to me that it would be a good tool for cutting down shrubs and various vegetation without having to crawl around on the ground with a chainsaw.

So has anyone had any experience with a string trimmer equipped with a circular brush cutting blade?,....if so, how well did it work and what size engine was on the string trimmer that you outfitted with the blade?

Are you still brainstorming how to murder the cane patch ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.