Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Utility like take place of a razor knife. Cut open boxes, cut rope, cut strapping, pry [bleep] etc... Cut the tail off fishing line knots, cut the seal out of a can of powerbait, cut open a bag of swivels, gut a trout, slice a piece of cheese for lunch, cut a section out of a good target to keep, cut open a bag of dog food, sharpen a carpenters pencil. Something just under 1/8" thick would be knife. Flexible but strong enough to pop the cap off a beer?
It would see saltwater use too so something corrosion resistant and low maintenance.
I'm not asking for much? One knife to do everything, that holds an edge forever, sharpens with ease and requires no care? Also a maker that can turn it around quickly at a low price point?

You for sure want M4!

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
you forgot cutting off rattlesnake heads....

Don,
If I'm killing a snake, poisonous or otherwise, it's gonna be with a pistola, shotgun or a shovel. No way I'm getting within knifes length of one of the bastards .....

Last edited by jackmountain; 09/11/19.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman
How I wish!
I do custom heat treat, but alas my grinding is way too poor for anyone's use but my own.
Those were made by Geno Denning. He sent a caper pattern that he found from George Herron and I marked it up. 2.75blade/6.75OAL. .090 stock CPM154.

You still have the one with black scales/orange liners? Any interest in passing it on to a GOOD home?

Sorry, those are both my wife's. She wanted them based on my Herron, and the patterns were marked up based on her hand. She uses the [bleep] out of them...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MILES58
Utility like take place of a razor knife. Cut open boxes, cut rope, cut strapping, pry [bleep] etc... Cut the tail off fishing line knots, cut the seal out of a can of powerbait, cut open a bag of swivels, gut a trout, slice a piece of cheese for lunch, cut a section out of a good target to keep, cut open a bag of dog food, sharpen a carpenters pencil. Something just under 1/8" thick would be knife. Flexible but strong enough to pop the cap off a beer?
It would see saltwater use too so something corrosion resistant and low maintenance.
I'm not asking for much? One knife to do everything, that holds an edge forever, sharpens with ease and requires no care? Also a maker that can turn it around quickly at a low price point?

You for sure want M4!

The above screams AEB-L or Vanax SC. I have utility EDC's in both at our home in Alabama.
At our home in Idaho, where corrosion resistance isn't an issue, 3V all the way.
I don't understand the M4 recommendation...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I want something similar to the below. Utility type work knife that will double as a rigging knife when I'm fishing.

What is your definition of utility? To me the the blade you pictured would be more of a skinning, caping, delicate work type knife. However the BTE is way too thick. I could dig that knife pictured with a thin thin thin BTE and in something like SuperClean, 15V, 4V, or Rex 121.

Didn't see this before I posted, but (after AEB-L wink ) spot on!

Last edited by Journeyman; 09/10/19.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Not bad for a chopper but like you I'll pass on the M4.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

He's looking for something that stays sharp, is tough and will take a beating. It is not particularly stainless, but the one I have has been used in wet conditions and never shown the slightest rust, not even on a razor edge and I just used it without regard to protecting it from anything. If I had something in the few months I had had it that needed cutting I cut it without regard to what I was cutting or cutting on. I did nothing to keep it from rusting. It stayed shaving sharp until I shifted it to a steeper edge angle, and has stayed shaving sharp since then.

Will it rust? I have heard of it but not seen it. Is it tough? IMO very. Will it stay sharp? Mine has.

I hacked up a bunch of cardboard, cut a fair amount of Kevlar, cut meat and fish, and did nothing but wipe it off. That works for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All I can do is shake my head.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gene270

I really like crotts. I'm thinking my Skinner came from you gene? The one above with a straight handle and the blade half that length would be nice.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah your skinner did come from me and Dan is as talented as they come...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MILES58

He's looking for something that stays sharp, is tough and will take a beating. It is not particularly stainless, but the one I have has been used in wet conditions and never shown the slightest rust, not even on a razor edge and I just used it without regard to protecting it from anything. If I had something in the few months I had had it that needed cutting I cut it without regard to what I was cutting or cutting on. I did nothing to keep it from rusting. It stayed shaving sharp until I shifted it to a steeper edge angle, and has stayed shaving sharp since then.

Will it rust? I have heard of it but not seen it. Is it tough? IMO very. Will it stay sharp? Mine has.

I hacked up a bunch of cardboard, cut a fair amount of Kevlar, cut meat and fish, and did nothing but wipe it off. That works for me.

Hey, I congratulate you on finding "the" knife for you. I've had several of those "eurekas" and even have one I call the Magic Knife so know how you feel.

Am actually a fan of the M4 steels in their bailiwick, just don't think the OP's needs fits any of those.

Would love to have a friendly discussion around your thoughtful reply above, but don't have enough info. I've experience in M4, CPM M4, Micro Melt M4 and S690, with knives from 2 factories, 3 other makers, and myself. Can you provide the steel, maker, hardness, surface treatment, etc so I can respond?

Last edited by Journeyman; 09/12/19. Reason: Clean up text

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gene270
Yeah your skinner did come from me and Dan is as talented as they come...

Daniel is a great guy. Heck, he probably made or supervised the making of the K-46's above that everyone so likes...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
how about something like this? 7 inch OAL with a 3 1/2 blade.. Its handy

[Linked Image]

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is that the 1095 carbon steel? Elk antler? Very nice!

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dan308
how about something like this? 7 inch OAL with a 3 1/2 blade.. Its handy

[Linked Image]

Gorgeous but really like the longer handle, shorter blade of the k-46 Dozier. With a slightly longer handle and slightly shorter blade, both of the same design/shape/thickness and I'd be golden. A kydex neck sheath to keep it handy when standing knee deep with a rod in hand whether in a mountain stream or the Atlantic ocean.
Thin ground to make it borderline flexible but still with backbone.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Thin ground to make it borderline flexible but still with backbone.

Good Luck with the thin grind! If that is what you want then you should think about a Triple B or Phil Wilson.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
274 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,796 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.