Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Was on my way home a few evenings ago and remembered to stop by a small ammo shop. I needed at least another 100 LBT's to feed the Bisley. Looking over their stock I found none about so headed over to their bargain counter. My eyes went right to an older box of Winchester Super X in 375 H&H. Took it over to the fella at the counter and asked if I could open it and take a look. He agreed and I did. The 300 grain Silver Tips were as pristine as a could be. No tarnish or rub marks anywhere. The tag said 30 bones so didn't haggle at all.

That evening I emailed a couple of friends about said box and Bill answered back that he would like to have them for an upcoming moose hunt. I told him that I couldn't think of a better thing to do with that box then give them to him. We met yesterday at my shop and Bill popped in with a gift of some (real) antique rounds as a swap. He also brought in a rifle case that I knew would be filled with "the" big 375 in it.

As we talked about "Big Nan" and some of it's history, Bill explained the full story of how he (and his father-in-law David) came into possession of this rugged rifle. No time to tell that now so I might just leave that up to Bill. This all however, ties in to the reason for picking up the box of Silver tips in the first place. As we talked, Bill explained that the history of Big Nan and Hal Waugh was somewhat recorded in writing already. Bill had the thought that it "might be interesting to find out (in book form) the post history of the rifle and it's being used for Alaskan hunting since Hal's passing.

The plan for this year's chapter (so to say) will be next month's moose hunt back at the old family stomping grounds near Eagle Alaska, where his family and Hal's lived as neighbors. The older ammo will be a tribute to Hal in a way, if by nothing else, as a copy of one of the boxes that was in some of the things he was given with the rifle.

I have to say that it was very neat to (after a dozen years had passed) to work the action and aim through the peep site once more. If I imagined that I was aiming at the chest of a 9' plus brownie, I can only expect you gents would understand...

bhtr

Some years ago I stopped in there and asked if I could handle "Big Nan". He was more than generous in letting me do so. I enjoyed looking over the seal skin scabbard as well. He told me that the rifle had been in custody of UAF museum, but had been repossessed by Mrs. Waugh because it wasn't being valued, and of course, he ended up with it. All in all a great experience, as that rifle seemed to give give off "vibes" of many great past experiences in the Alaska which no longer exists.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice rifle but not to old as it has the new style safety. Peep sight looks like the one I took off my pre war Model 70 300 H&H quality guns and for what it's worth if I ever need a dangerous game rifle, I would have a Model 70 in my hands.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was always curious if this rifle had the single recoil lug and if it is what prompted the addition of the barrel mounted lug? Or was it the introduction of the 458 that prompted this change?

Who did the stock? If it weren't for the flair to the pistol grip it would be a true classic style. Any more specs on the rifle? I guess I should track down the Big Nan article or if anyone has a link it would be appreciated. I really enjoyed the Hal Waugh book. Doe's anyone know how many bears he shot with the 358 mannlicher? Where did this rifle end up?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
233 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.