Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

A while back I was in the market for a new scope for my 40-X 22 long rifle. I didn't want to break the bank with another Nightforce, so I was on the hunt for a scope that gave the best bang for the buck, with the features I was looking for, mainly 30mm main tube, side focus, no more than 6X on the low end & 20X or more on the top end, 2nd focal plane, target knobs, plenty of internal adjustment, with zero stop. (not a deal breaker)

Having run a couple of Sightrons with complete satisfaction in the past on rifles used for the stock class in 1K Benchrest, I perused the Sightron site and found exactly what would fill the need......

Enter item # 25127.......SIIISS624X50LRMOA.

6-24x50
30mm main tube
Side focus (40 yards to infinity)
Target turrets (no ZS)
MOA-2 reticle
100 moa total internal adjustment
24.3 ounces

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

The gun is an all original early 70's high gloss blue, 24" heavy barrel model, factory trigger, sitting in a McMillan Marksman stock.

Interestingly, the stock that was on the gun when I bought it, is a high gloss walnut BDL version from back in the day of the regular blued 24" varmint guns. Only this one has the factory hot glue type bedding under the shank & in the lug area, which I don't recall regular varmint guns having. I called the Custom Shop to see if they could confirm whether or not this gun came with this stock or not, but I was told it is possible, but no records available to verify. I have that stock stored away.

As soon as the scope came in, I mounted it right up in lapped Seekings medium high rings, on top of a Nightforce 40 MOA base, and got ready to hit the range.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got one of those exact scopes. I really like it, great scope for the money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interested to hear your thoughts after you've wrung it out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Interested to hear your thoughts after you've wrung it out.

I had written a long post last night on initial testing, and accidentally closed the wrong tab when I was posting pics.

Shut the GD computer off & called it a day.......

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For target/range/varmint, I’ve really liked Sightron scopes. I’ve not found a reticle combined with a model, that I liked for a big game hunting scope.....yet.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

So I loaded up the truck and made the long trek (3 miles) to the local "range", (quarry) set up the bench, rest, & bags, then moved the target to the 50 yard line to sight in and get a solid zero. The scope was clear as a bell, even on 24 power, clicks were crisp & audible, and the scope adjustments moved as expected to zero.

After setting the knobs to -0-, I shot a few groups to verify, then aimed the scope's dot on a single bullet hole at the top, cranked the turret down to the limit, which ended up 18 MOA below zero, then cranked the scope back up the 18 MOA, and the dot was centered back on the hole. Then I cranked the turret all the way to the top of it's limit, which was exactly 82 MOA, then back down to zero, and again it was centered perfectly on the bullet hole.

After this test, I moved the target frame to 100 yards, and exchanged the target for the tall tracking test target. I cranked the scope to 24X, and aimed the dot on the single hole at the top, just left of dead center, then proceeded to move the turret up in 5 MOA increments, and each move landed the dot exactly on each subsequent line down to the 35 MOA mark. I kept going to the scope's limit at 82 MOA, then brought it back up with each move landing on the lines, and finished at "zero", dead center back in the bullet hole again.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a few of the older SII 6-24x42 that were made in Japan. Never had a significant issue with any of them after thousands of varmints blown apart.

Alf’s SIII is a nice step up from the S2’s in glass quality, but IMO still a bargain at the price. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sightron makes a quality product...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had 3 sightron sII's. The first came to me with a dark spot/blemish on an internal lens so I sent it back and they sent me another. The second was fine optically but fogged internally the second or third season I used it. Called sightron again, they said "no problem, send it in and we'll send you another". So I sent it in. Less than a week later I got my new scope. Sightron had sent it the same day I called about my fogged scope, not waiting to get the old scope back from me first. The third scope worked fine but I didn't have it long before I traded it off so don't know how long it held up. Can't say I was overly impressed with my particular sII's but sightron made it right with customer service second to none.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've had 3 sightron sII's. The first came to me with a dark spot/blemish on an internal lens so I sent it back and they sent me another. The second was fine optically but fogged internally the second or third season I used it. Called sightron again, they said "no problem, send it in and we'll send you another". So I sent it in. Less than a week later I got my new scope. Sightron had sent it the same day I called about my fogged scope, not waiting to get the old scope back from me first. Can't say I was overly impressed with my particular sII's but sightron made it right with customer service second to none.

If you wouldn’t blow-suck your scopes they probably wouldn’t fog. Any chrome left on your trailer hitches...Snark, snork, Laffin 😂😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've had 3 sightron sII's. The first came to me with a dark spot/blemish on an internal lens so I sent it back and they sent me another. The second was fine optically but fogged internally the second or third season I used it. Called sightron again, they said "no problem, send it in and we'll send you another". So I sent it in. Less than a week later I got my new scope. Sightron had sent it the same day I called about my fogged scope, not waiting to get the old scope back from me first. Can't say I was overly impressed with my particular sII's but sightron made it right with customer service second to none.

If you wouldn’t blow-suck your scopes they probably wouldn’t fog. Any chrome left on your trailer hitches...Snark, snork, Laffin 😂😎
Funny. I realize my post has nothing to do with the scope under discussion here. I posted it mainly to give my experience with sightrons excellent customer service.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Trial by fire.......

Built me a cargo box for the back of my 4 wheeler:

[Linked Image]

Loaded up a bunch of 17 ounce Pepsi bottles with colored water along with the other necessities:

[Linked Image]

Pretty tough to get any good before pics of the victims, but had them spread out from 85 yards to just under 300:

[Linked Image]

Cargo box makes a perfect rest:

[Linked Image]

Gave 'em hell with the big tripod as well:

[Linked Image]

I did a whole bunch of dialing back & forth, from a couple MOA on the close end, to almost 40 at distance, and the scope never missed a lick.

Happy camper......

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Round two........

Filled up some more bottles, and added a spritz of white Krylon to the tops to make it easier to spot at the longer ranges in the grass:

[Linked Image]

Can't forget the morning Joe:

[Linked Image]

Drop chart to 600:

[Linked Image]

Targets were from 125 to a bit over 300:

[Linked Image]

Dead soldiers:

[Linked Image]

The turret was twisted up, down, and all around, and tracking & return to zero was stellar.

I find there nothing to be wanting in this scope for my use, and would buy another in a heartbeat. [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Al, I built my shooting box several years ago for p-dog hunting. It’s extremely comfortable just standing and leaning forward with a bag on top of the lid...Excellent rifle control with my deep bag for long shots.

Inside I built an area for a small cooler, ammo holders, and exterior side boxes for ammo I’m using. No box is complete without a bottle opener on the exterior side for cold one. 😉

Glad you’re happy with your new scope...Japan made, correct? Not Philippines? To me the Japan made scopes are superior. 😎

[Linked Image]

“Molon Labe”
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yup, scope is made in Japan.

I designed my box on the fly...... The plan was to only use one sheet of 1/2" plywood, and keep it within the width of the rear fenders, but big enough to carry my Eberlestock packs, so it ended up 45" wide outside, which happens to be 7 milk jugs wide inside. My 22-23" varmint guns will fit in a soft case crossways, and of course the AR fits with room to spare.

Originally I built it 16" tall w/o the lid, but it was too damn big, so I cut it back to 12 1/2". Depth is 24", and I set it back so as not to take up seat space. The Honda has a rear upright like yours, so I cut a slot in the floor to accommodate it, allowing the extra room to the rear. I just load the heavy stuff to the front over the rack.

I wanted to make it somewhat dust/rain proof, so I went with the 3/4' x 1 1/2" picture frame perimeter on the lid. A couple of nylon cords on either side hold the top open, but still lets the lid lay tight when closed. I run a bungee from the hitch to the handle when traveling.

I also cut a 2x2 that I prop under the box at the rear to make it more steady to shoot off of.

[Linked Image]

I had a Caldwell bag in the past for shooting X-P's off of, but sold it. I've been thinking on picking up a Bull's Bag to replace it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Like their binos as well!

MAGA! This is the way!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by aalf

then proceeded to move the turret up in 5 MOA increments, and each move landed the dot exactly on each subsequent line down to the 35 MOA mark. I kept going to the scope's limit at 82 MOA, then brought it back up with each move landing on the lines, and finished at "zero", dead center back in the bullet hole again.[/b]

[Linked Image]

Not to nitpick, however your picture doen’t show “exactly”. If we take for granted that 2-3 shots per is showing the center of each group-

You started high left, and each 5 MOA the scope over adjusted. The “groups” progressively got lower, and lower.

So either your target was not at 100 yards, the target was not level, or the adjustments are more than .25 MOA.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by aalf

then proceeded to move the turret up in 5 MOA increments, and each move landed the dot exactly on each subsequent line down to the 35 MOA mark. I kept going to the scope's limit at 82 MOA, then brought it back up with each move landing on the lines, and finished at "zero", dead center back in the bullet hole again.[/b]
[Linked Image]

Not to nitpick, however your picture doen’t show “exactly”. If we take for granted that 2-3 shots per is showing the center of each group-
You started high left, and each 5 MOA the scope over adjusted. The “groups” progressively got lower, and lower.
So either your target was not at 100 yards, the target was not level, or the adjustments are more than .25 MOA.

That target was from a previous test........

I turned it upside down, and held on the lone hole at the top circle, and dialed the scope to it's limits, and return to zero was perfectly centered back in the original aiming point, which was that bullet hole. No shots were fired......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That same reticle in a 2x10 scope is too thin for me.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.