Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
With these bug born diseases around do you take any precautions to prevent getting bit? Southern hunters probably deal with it more than we do so am wondering what you all have tried.

My wife is now in treatment for Lyme and it's made me way more aware of how bad a risk being out during bow season is. I've been considering using Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin on clothes as it's supposed to be scent free, and ticks crawling on treated clothes die. It probably wouldn't be effective for mosquitoes as much. They also make a insect repellent with Picaridin that's supposed to be very effective.

So offer up some knowledge, and experiences. How does using this stuff affect game? Is scentless really scentless?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a lot you can do when trying to hide smells. Diseases are really bad around here this year. One older guy died from viral tick disease. A young boy's life was in question but appears is going to make it, I treat my dogs, but even with treatment the ticks bite to die. I had to give one antibiotics for 30 days. Google weaponized ticks. It is serious.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

In the Pacific Northwest and some parts of Arizona we deal with the Western black-legged tick. East of the Cascades, Rocky Mountain Wood Ticks.

In the Southern border region we see cattle ticks. Not familiar with what lurks in the Southeast lands, black legged ticks, I think.

Dunno what your region spawns.

I spray clothing and gloves with Permethrin (no odor) with Picaridin (low odor) for the unlikely exposed skin areas of the face. Cotton glove liners sprayed with Permethrin are a must for me, even in warmer weather.

I carry a back up half oz sprayer of 98% DEET, but it is stinky...even the "low odor" formula so I never really apply it.

You get much closer to game than I would or *could*.

If you get one in the your armpit area...you won't forget it!

Don't let cool weather get you to let your guard down.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

7 08FAN:

The more I study tick borne diseases and the co-infections, the more amazed at its widespread increase and numbers of infections that are under reported.

Here is something I discovered regarding the Kansas region:

BOURBON VIRUS

Bourbon virus is newly surfaced infection first identified in Kansas in 2014. As of June 2018, a limited number of human infections have been identified in the Midwest and southern United States. It’s currently not known whether the virus exists in other areas of the United States.

Signs and Symptoms:

Fatigue
Fever
Headache, body aches
Rash
Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite
Abnormal bleeding or clotting
Low white blood cell count

What’s New, Notable, or Newsworthy?

Bourbon virus infection is, in itself, new and notable. It is now listed as an emerging illness. It can be deadly in an immunocompromised individual. Not much is known, and transmission is not fully understood. It is believed to be caused by a tick bite and was recently documented in Missouri.

Courtesy of Dr. Jay Davidson

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That's interesting SJ, the guy treating my wife mentioned the complexity of coinfections, and some molds have similar symptoms.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
carry some clear fingernail polish with you to put on a tick that is attached to you . it will kill them .I pulled one off me were your leg meets your ass cheek week later I was in the hospital with a infection that took a week of antibiodics & surgery to stop

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joe, our county borders Bourbon County. Thinking that is what got the older guy I referenced. Bad stuff. Did you google weaponized ticks?

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Current *recommended* practice per CDC, etc. is to use tweezers to slowly pull them out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I never use "google", but I did do searches.

Interesting ideas.

The discovery of a 15 million year old tick in amber carrying the infection seems to lend evidence that B. burgdorferi has been present for some time, however.

Seems that white-footed mice are a main vector in Lyme Disease.

I never doubt the ability of scientists to "do some things".

Am in the process of studying tick borne diseases in a non-professional capacity. The data from scientists, clinicians and those afflicted with these diseases becomes more interesting the further I delve into it.

Each of these infections and co-infections can have more than a hundred variations...

We have a problem, methinks and my preliminary research is showing the medical profession is way behind on this. Many in the medical industry by way of analogy are arguing whether the Earth or the Sun is the center of the Universe.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 66 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,428
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.